Disabled World - "Towards Tomorrow"
"Disability will affect the lives of everyone at some point in their life, it is time society changed to acknowledge this" - Disabled World
The primary focus of the Disabled World web site is to provide information via our disability news, informative articles, and educational videos. In addition to our articles and stories from our in-house writers and submitted news items by various organizations and Government Departments, each day we manually select relevant items from around the web for publishing that we consider will be of interest to persons with disabilities, carers, and the general public.
Some people are born with a disability, others become disabled as a result of an illness or injury, and some people develop them as they age. Almost all of us will have a type of disability at some point in our lives. One of the key challenges for a person with a disability is to be seen by the public, to be portrayed in media outlets, and treated by health care professionals, as an individual with their own abilities, not just stereotyped as a "disabled person".
Some Quick Disability Facts:
Disability is a subject you may read about online, or in a newspaper, but not think of as something that might actually happen to you. But your chances of becoming disabled are greater than you realize.
- About 1 in 5 people in America currently has a disability.
- Over a billion people, around 15% of the world's population, have some form of disability.
- Between 110 million and 190 million adults worldwide have significant difficulties in functioning.
- 41% of people with arthritis are forced to limit their physical activity, making it the leading cause of disability in the US.
- Rates of disability are increasing due to population ageing and increases in chronic health conditions - among other causes.
- According to the U.S. Social Security Administration, 33% of 20-year-old workers will become disabled before reaching retirement age.
- For more statistics and information visit our section on World Disability Facts & Statistics
|Latest Published Information:|
|Disability Initiative to Increase Inclusion and Access to the Cultural Sector|
Launch of new initiative to increase inclusion and access to the arts and culture for disabled people.
Posted In Disability Art & Artists - 2015-05-30
|Abuse, Harassment & Violence Towards Disability - Prejudice or Vulnerability?|
There are arguably a number of reasons why disability hate crime has largely been ignored.
Posted In Disability Discrimination - 2015-05-28
|Nebraska Replaces Death Penalty with Smart Alternatives|
Nebraska legislators override Governors veto of LB 268, a bill that replaces the death penalty with a life sentence with no parole.
Posted In Nebraska - 2015-05-27
|Medicago Biotech to Build New Production Facility in Quebec City|
The Medicago Quebec City project is expected to generate more than $461 million in economic benefits over the next five years.
Posted In Quebec - 2015-05-26
|New Google Chrome Accessibility Extensions|
Accessibility extensions for Google Chrome browser aimed at helping persons with disabilities surf the Internet..
Posted In Computer Devices and Software - 2015-05-26
|How to Recognize Symptoms of Eye Parasites|
Information regarding Demodex parasites, small mites found at the roots of eyelashes that can cause a range of eye conditions.
Posted In Vision Disability - 2015-05-25
Read more of our latest disability and health news here.
"People with disabilities are the largest minority group, the only one any person can join at any time." - More Disability Quotes