"Disability will affect the lives of everyone at some point in their life, it is time society changed to acknowledge this" - One of the key challenges for a person with a disability is to be seen by the public, to be portrayed in the media, treated by health care professionals, as an individual with abilities, and not just seen as a disability. The primary focus of Disabled World is to provide information to the Public, Disability Community and Organizations, as well as Disabled Rights Campaigners, via our News Service, Articles, Press Releases, and Videos.
When a person is newly disabled by accident or illness a host of physical, emotional and social changes present themselves. The following articles are of benefit to those who have recently found themselves facing a disability.
Definition of Disabled
The word "Disabled" is the clear preference in contemporary American English in referring to people having either physical or intellectual disabilities, with the conditions themselves preferably termed disabilities.
Disabled World News:
- Text-To-Speech Freeware Panopreter Basic Enables Computer Speak With Natural Sounding Voices - Panopreter text to speech freeware program reads written text aloud and saves the spoken speech as mp3 and wave audio files - Panopreter.com - 2013-05-23
- Roll on Capitol Hill - People with Disabilities Gather to Shape Health Care Policy - United Spinal Association and NSCIA will gather in Washington, D.C. June 16 to 19 for Roll on Capitol Hill to express need for greater access to health care, wheelchairs, and policymakers - United Spinal Association - 2013-05-22
- Necrotizing Fasciitis - Information Symptoms and Treatment - Necrotizing fasciitis usually appears as an area of localized redness, swelling, warmth and pain often resembling a superficial skin infection - Thomas C. Weiss - 2013-05-21
- Breaking Up Physician Drug Company Relationships - Report suggests improved health care and reductions in drug costs might be attained by breaking up the relationship between physicians and drug company reps - OSU College of Pharmacy - 2013-05-21
- Vermont Gov. Signs First Death-with-Dignity Law - New Vermont law will let dying and mentally competent people determine when they have endured enough suffering and empowers them to end their lives with dignity - Compassion & Choices - 2013-05-20