"Disability will affect the lives of everyone at some point in their life, it is time society changed to acknowledge this"
About 1 in 5 people in America currently has a disability and according to the U.S. Social Security Administration, one-quarter of 20-year-olds will become disabled by age 67. Some people are born with a disability, others as a result of an illness or injury, and some people develop them as they age. Almost all of us will have a disability at some point in our lives. Disabilities make it harder to do normal daily activities. They may limit what people can do physically, however most people with disabilities work, play, learn, and enjoy full, healthy lives.
One of the key challenges for a person with a disability in today's world is to be seen by the public, to be portrayed in media outlets, and treated by health care professionals, as an individual with their own abilities, and not just stereotyped as a person with a disability. The primary focus of the Disabled World web site is to provide information and education to the Public via our News, Press Releases, and Videos.
Recent Disability News
- Vapor Cigarettes: Safety, Facts and Information
(Dec 06, 2013) - Information regarding electronic cigarettes also known as water vapor cigarettes as a quit smoking aid - Thomas C. Weiss
- U.S. Veterans 2014 COLA Increase
(Dec 06, 2013) - 2014 cost-of-living increase of 1.5% for veterans receiving disability benefits or pensions will also apply to disabled veterans receiving automobile, clothing allowances, and other benefits - Disabled Veterans National Foundation
- Social Security Disability Benefits and Obamacare Penalties
(Dec 05, 2013) - Information regarding applying for social security disability benefits and how the Obamacare or Affordable Care Act will affect you - Reyes & Reyes Law Firm, PLLC
- SOSecure Swim Diaper Continence Product
(Dec 05, 2013) - Review of the SOSecure Swim Diaper Continence Product that stretches and conforms to body shape available in sizes x-small to 5XL - Disabled World
- Gothenburg Announced as Access City Award Winner 2014
(Dec 04, 2013) - European Day for People with Disabilities Commission announces Gothenburg as Access City Award Winner 2014 - European secretariat Access City Award
- Holiday Giveaway Contest for Families with Children Diagnosed with Autism
(Dec 04, 2013) - Autism Live Holiday Giveaway Extravaganza contest for families with children diagnosed with autism - www.autism-live.com
- Overcoming the Holiday Blues
(Dec 04, 2013) - Information regarding feeling down, lonely, and depressed over the winter holiday period - Thomas C. Weiss
- Convalescent, Retirement and Recuperative Home Care Montreal Area
(Dec 03, 2013) - Review of senior assistive living and retirement home facility in the Montreal area also catering for persons with a disability - Disabled World
- Famous People with Disabilities - List of famous people with disabilities and health conditions who have contributed to society.
- Our useful calculators include a height to weight ratio chart for adults, and you will find one for younger children and teenagers here.
- Our Weight Loss Planning Calculator provides information on the number of calories to cut each day to lose unwanted pounds.
- Embracing Ability: Making It Happen Event - Vancouver, 5th - 6th March, 2014 - The 2nd Annual AIM Conference: Embracing Ability: Making It Happen will be held in Vancouver, BC, Canada on Wednesday 5th - Thursday 6th, March, 2014