Disabled World - "Towards Tomorrow"
"Disability will affect the lives of everyone at some point in their life, it is time society changed to acknowledge this" - Disabled World
The primary focus of the Disabled World web site is to provide information via our disability news, informative articles, and educational videos. In addition to our articles and stories from our in-house writers and submitted news items by various organizations and Government Departments, each day we manually select relevant items from around the web for publishing that we consider will be of interest to persons with disabilities, carers, and the general public.
Some people are born with a disability, others become disabled as a result of an illness or injury, and some people develop them as they age. Almost all of us will have a type of disability at some point in our lives. One of the key challenges for a person with a disability is to be seen by the public, to be portrayed in media outlets, and treated by health care professionals, as an individual with their own abilities, not just stereotyped as a "disabled person".
Some Quick Disability Facts:
Disability is a subject you may read about online, or in a newspaper, but not think of as something that might actually happen to you. But your chances of becoming disabled are greater than you realize.
- About 1 in 5 people in America currently has a disability.
- Over a billion people, around 15% of the world's population, have some form of disability.
- Between 110 million and 190 million adults worldwide have significant difficulties in functioning.
- 41% of people with arthritis are forced to limit their physical activity, making it the leading cause of disability in the US.
- Rates of disability are increasing due to population ageing and increases in chronic health conditions - among other causes.
- According to the U.S. Social Security Administration, 33% of 20-year-old workers will become disabled before reaching retirement age.
- For more statistics and information visit our section on World Disability Facts & Statistics
|Latest Published Information:|
|Why Such Opposition to Genetically Modified (GM) Crops|
Explanation as to why such opposition to genetically modified organisms, despite positive contributions GM crops have made to agriculture.
Posted In Food Security - 2015-04-25
|Training Video: ADA Law for Service Animals|
Campaign to educate businesses, Government offices, Fire, Rescue and Police about ADA Law as it applies to service animals.
Posted In Service Animals - 2015-04-24
|Multiple Sclerosis Drug Prices Soar in U.S.|
Multiple sclerosis drugs available in the U.S. are two to three times more than in Canada, Australia or the United Kingdom.
Posted In Pharmaceutical - Drug Information - 2015-04-24
|Toxic Shock Syndrome: Symptoms, Treatment & Outlook|
Information regarding Toxic shock syndrome including treatment methods and symptoms experienced.
Posted In Health and Disability - 2015-04-23
|Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Information|
Information regarding Carbon Monoxide (CO) an odorless, colorless, poisonous and potentially deadly gas.
Posted In Health and Disability - 2015-04-20
|The UK General Election 2015: What's in Store for Disability?|
Paul Dodenhoff writes on the upcoming general election in the UK and the parties stated approach to disability issues.
Posted In UK Disability News - 2015-04-20
Read more of our latest disability and health news here.
"People with disabilities are the world's largest minority group, the only one any person can join at any time." - More Disability Quotes