Disabled World - "Towards Tomorrow"
"Disability will affect the lives of everyone at some point in their life, it is time society changed to acknowledge this" - Disabled World
The primary focus of the Disabled World web site is to provide information via our disability news, informative articles, and educational videos. In addition to our articles and stories from our in-house writers and submitted news items by various organizations and Government Departments, each day we manually select relevant items from around the web for publishing that we consider will be of interest to persons with disabilities, carers, and the general public.
Some people are born with a disability, others become disabled as a result of an illness or injury, and some people develop them as they age. Almost all of us will have a type of disability at some point in our lives. One of the key challenges for a person with a disability is to be seen by the public, to be portrayed in media outlets, and treated by health care professionals, as an individual with their own abilities, not just stereotyped as a "disabled person".
Some Quick Disability Facts:
Disability is a subject you may read about online, or in a newspaper, but not think of as something that might actually happen to you. But your chances of becoming disabled are greater than you realize.
- About 1 in 5 people in America currently has a disability.
- Over a billion people, around 15% of the world's population, have some form of disability.
- Between 110 million and 190 million adults worldwide have significant difficulties in functioning.
- 41% of people with arthritis are forced to limit their physical activity, making it the leading cause of disability in the US.
- Rates of disability are increasing due to population ageing and increases in chronic health conditions - among other causes.
- According to the U.S. Social Security Administration, 33% of 20-year-old workers will become disabled before reaching retirement age.
- For more statistics and information visit our section on World Disability Facts & Statistics
|Latest Published Information:|
|How to Recognize Wet Macular Degeneration|
Information regarding wet macular degeneration, one of two forms of age-related macular degeneration.
Posted In Vision Disability - 2015-05-21
|Electronic Waste: Medical & Health Issues|
Information regarding the growing health dangers of electronic waste.
Posted In Health and Disability - 2015-05-21
|Werner Syndrome: DNA & Human Aging|
Information regarding Werner syndrome, a genetic disorder that causes those affected to age more quickly than usual.
Posted In Aging & Associated Diseases - 2015-05-20
|Court Rules Girl Scouts Covered by Disability Discrimination Law|
7th Circuit Court of Appeals rules Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana subject to federal disability discrimination law under Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
Posted In American Disability Act ADA - 2015-05-20
|H58 Antibiotic Resistant Typhoid: Facts & Information|
A strain of antibiotic-resistant bacteria that causes typhoid fever has spread to several countries and reached epidemic levels in Africa.
Posted In Health and Disability - 2015-05-19
|Spine 10 x 25 Research Summit - Chicago, Illinois - July 18, 2015|
Event will commemorate the launch of Spine 10 x 25, an initiative that will lead to a 10% reduction in U.S. spine-related disability by the year 2025.
Posted In Events - 2015-05-19
Read more of our latest disability and health news here.
"People with disabilities are the largest minority group, the only one any person can join at any time." - More Disability Quotes
2015-05-24 - Awareness Information for this Date:
- Today is schizophrenia awareness day (Canada). Every year on the 24th of May we want to paint the country purple! We ask that you wear purple to show unity in bringing awareness to schizophrenia, and to show support for those affected by the illness.