Disabled World - Disability News and Information
"Disability will affect the lives of everyone at some point in their life, it is time society changed to acknowledge this" - One of the key challenges for a person with a disability is to be seen by the public, to be portrayed in the media, treated by health care professionals, as an individual with abilities, and not just seen as a disability. The primary focus of Disabled World is to provide information to the Public, Disability Community and Organizations, as well as Disabled Rights Campaigners, via our News Service, Articles, Press Releases, and Videos.
When a person is newly disabled by accident or illness a host of physical, emotional and social changes present themselves. The following articles are of benefit to those who have recently found themselves facing a disability.
Definition of Disabled
The word "Disabled" is the clear preference in contemporary American English in referring to people having either physical or intellectual disabilities, with the conditions themselves preferably termed disabilities.
Disabled World News:
- Important Initiatives for US Disabled Veterans - U.S. states of Virginia, Michigan, Florida and Montana working toward initiatives for disabled veterans in addition to that provided by Department of Veterans Affairs - The Federal Savings Bank - 2013-05-24
- Action Needed to Address Social Security Disability Insurance Finances - New brief on Social Security Disability Insurance finds temporary reallocation of Social Security existing payroll tax rate could strengthen the DI trust fund before its reserves are depleted - The National Academy of Social Insurance - 2013-05-24
- Health Dangers of Small Powerful Magnets - Recall of novelty magnet sets marketed to adults that contain small powerful magnets which can be easily swallowed or inhaled by children - Health Canada - 2013-05-24
- Text-To-Speech Freeware Panopreter Basic Enables Computer Speak With Natural Sounding Voices - Panopreter text to speech freeware program reads written text aloud and saves the spoken speech as mp3 and wave audio files - Panopreter.com - 2013-05-23
- Roll on Capitol Hill - People with Disabilities Gather to Shape Health Care Policy - United Spinal Association and NSCIA will gather in Washington, D.C. June 16 to 19 for Roll on Capitol Hill to express need for greater access to health care, wheelchairs, and policymakers - United Spinal Association - 2013-05-22