Chronic fatigue syndrome is a disorder is which a person is overcome with fatigue.
A type of fatigue that is not relieved with rest, instead as time goes on and can impact your ability to perform your daily activities. Typically to receive the diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome the fatigue has to last for more then six months. The fatigue is not the only symptom a person can experience.
Other symptoms that are associated with chronic fatigue syndrome include muscle aches and pains, joint pain, headaches, memory problems, problems sleeping, tender lymph nodes and a sore throat. Diagnosis of this disease is often difficult, one because we have no idea of what causes it and two because it is a hard diagnosis for people to accept.
The people who suffer the most from chronic fatigue syndrome range in age from their 40s to their 50s and mostly it seems to affect women. Though it is not known if this is because women are more likely to report it then men, or it is really more dominant in women.
Being diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome leaves many people looking for treatment options to help alleviate the symptoms and treat the condition. There are more and more people turning to herbal medicines to help them as they strive to live a more holistic life. It is important that you talk with your doctor before beginning any herbal medicine as that they may interact with other medications you could be taking.
Here is a list of herbal medicines that can be taken to help alleviate your symptoms. Keep in mind that this in no way replaces medical advice. Herbs overall are safe and they are used frequently to strengthen the body and tone the body systems.
Herbs can be used as dried extracts in the form of teas, capsules or powders, glycerites and tinctures.
1. Ginseng is an herb that is used by many to help boost energy levels. To get the full benefit of ginseng you will want to consume anywhere from 100-300 mg twice a day.
2. Licorice is an herb that is used to stimulate adrenal glands. You will need about 200 mg possible 400 mg three times day for only 6 weeks. Do not use licorice if you currently suffer from high blood pressure, heart failure or edema.
3. Echinancea is an herb that is used to stimulate the immune system. Taking 200 mg twice a day can help improve immune function.
4. Paudarco is another herb that is used to strengthen the immune system. This is taken as an extract, using one tsp in a full cup water and you drink it two or three times a day. Again if you are taking any blood thinning medications this includes aspirin then you will only want to use this herbal medicine for 1 week.
5. Astragalus also known as huang qi is another herbal medicine that is used to boost the immune system. Alternating this with Echinacea will help increase the benefits.
You may notice that many of these herbal medicine focus on boosting the immune system. This is because we are not sure if chronic fatigue syndrome is due to a weak immune system, or due to a viral infection. Therefore increasing the strength of the immune system can help decrease symptoms.
Have Your Say:
We welcome relevant discussions, criticism and your unique insights. Comments are moderated and will not appear until approved. NOTE: We do not verify information posted in the comment section.