Definition: Defining the Meaning of Photography
Photography is the science, art and practice of creating durable images by recording light or other electromagnetic radiation, either electronically by means of an image sensor, or chemically by means of a light-sensitive material such as photographic film.
Photography is one of the hobbies that people can pick up and learn fairly easily. Some people have the impression that there is a trick to taking great pictures. There are some different elements you need to consider in order to both enjoy photography as a hobby, and take great pictures. The fact is, with a little knowledge and some practice, wonderful pictures are a click away. There is nothing more enjoyable than capturing pictures of wonderful moments and images and sharing them with others.
In order to pursue photography as a hobby, you first need to learn some of the techniques and skills associated with it.
You need to gather the different materials needed as well.
Some suggestions for people who are starting photography as hobby include:
- Familiarize yourself with topics that interest you so that you understand the topic you wish to photograph
- Consider investing in either an automatic focus camera, or a self-focusing SLR camera.
- For people who choose nature as a subject of their photography, it is important to consider the location of the pictures they take. Making sure the sun will not affect the picture in undesired ways, and positioning yourself behind the sun so that the light will create clearer shots is important.
- When you first start taking pictures, you may want to practice by taking pictures around your own home. You may even take great pictures of unplanned or unexpected moments!
- You may wish to use a tripod in order to achieve pictures that are steady, and you can produce great images when you use the right angles! Paying attention to the shape, position, and size of the subject you are photographing is important as well.
- In the absence of sunlight, artificial light may be needed. The camera you are using may have a flash, but sometimes the light from it may not be enough to create a clear image.
There are digital cameras available today that can make even beginning photographers look like a professional.
You may want to learn how to get your own photographs printed and framed! There are many online resources you can learn about photography from online, making it easy for anyone to learn.
Many photographers enjoy sharing their experience with others, and don't mind answering questions. Observe and appreciate the work other people do in photography. The more you learn about photography, the more you are able to develop your own style. There is a wealth of information on the Internet.
The best way to learn about photography as a hobby is by doing it.
Try different things until you have mastered them. Do not be afraid to try new things, or to experiment. Ask other people for their opinions of the work you do, it will help you to improve your hobby. You may consider signing up for a class or seminar on photography. Local colleges and universities often offer these courses. Camera shops also offer instructional classes on occasion.
Basic Photography Equipment
For a person starting a hobby in photography, a good, self-focusing camera is a start to the items you may wish to have.
There are some additional items that can help to make the hobby more enjoyable. Photography lessons can help you to understand in greater depth the art of photography, as well as more of the technical details of photography.
As you become more involved in photography, things such as a camera with the option to switch between various lenses may become something you choose to get. Lenses of different types may interest you, and the types of lenses you decide to get could depend on your subject matter.
Many photographers have a UV Filter which can protect their lens without causing a noticeable change in the pictures they take.
A flash is something else that photographers often have; one that is not built into the camera, but one that allows them to take pictures from around twenty feet away while still getting good detail.
A good camera bag is something that is a good idea in order to keep your camera and equipment safe.
With some basic equipment, knowledge, and practice photography can be a very enjoyable hobby. It doesn't need to be expensive, and almost everyone can pursue it. Pictures can be developed at many local stores, and shared with family members, friends, and other people. Photography is an enjoyable art from that allows people to express a great deal through even one picture. The pictures you take can be displayed with pride.
Quick Facts: Black & White Photography
All photography was originally monochrome, or black-and-white. Even after color film was readily available, black-and-white photography continued to dominate for decades, due to its lower cost and its "classic" photographic look. The tones and contrast between light and dark areas define black-and-white photography. It is important to note that monochromatic pictures are not necessarily composed of pure blacks, whites, and intermediate shades of gray, but can involve shades of one particular hue depending on the process. The cyanotype process, for example, produces an image composed of blue tones. The albumen print process, first used more than 150 years ago, produces brownish tones.