Information and news regarding disabilities in the U.S. State of Colorado, including facts and statistics.
Colorado Disability Resources
The Resource Exchange Program
Options for people with developmental disabilities and their families, including residential, Family Support, Supported Living, vocational, transportation, case management and Early Intervention - www.tre.org
Assistive Technology Partners
Provides a unique integration of capabilities and services for persons with disabilities and associated professional affiliations - www.uchsc.edu/atp/aboutUs.html
Colorado Springs Independence Center
The CSIC provides a variety of services aimed at empowering people with disabilities to maintain their independence within the community, primary services include Peer Support, Advocacy, Independent Living Skills Training and Information and Referral - www.csicindliving.org
Colorado Cross Disability Coalition
The CCDC is Colorado's only statewide organization run by and for people with all types of disabilities. Members consist of people with disabilities and their non-disabled coworkers, employers, family members, and neighbors, working together to support disability rights. The Colorado Cross Disability Coalition is a statewide organization dedicated to system change. Their goal is full participation of all persons with all types of disabilities in all areas of community living. Medicaid and health care issues are a major focus of the coalition's work. They also do ADA testing, sponsor a tenant's alliance, host community events, and have a rural organizing program - http://www.ccdconline.org
The Exceptional Student Leadership Unit
The Colorado Department of Education provides a variety of sources of information for parents of children with disabilities that either live in Colorado, or are considering moving to Colorado State - www.cde.state.co.us/cdesped/SD-Main.asp
The Colorado Developmental Disabilities Council (CDDC)
An independently functioning council of advocates working for the implementation of public policies which promote the self-determination, independence, and community inclusion of Coloradoans with developmental disabilities - www.coddc.org
The Division of Wildlife in Colorado
The State of Colorado is known around the world for its incredible array of outdoor recreational activities. The Division of Wildlife continues to work to provide people with disabilities with the opportunity to enjoy Colorado's wildlife. The Division provides accommodation permits, accommodating facilities, as well as disability licenses, making the outdoors more accessible and enjoyable for people with disabilities. The Division of Wildlife in Colorado continues to make opening the outdoors to people with disabilities a priority - wildlife.state.co.us/DisabilityInformation.htm
Disability Sports Colorado
Colorado Springs, home of the United States Olympic Committee, is also home to a number of resources for people with disabilities. From Special Olympics to the U.S. Association of Blind Athletes, Colorado Springs has much to offer people with disabilities.
Find out more information concerning Disability Sports, and sporting for people with disabilities in the Colorado Springs area - www.springsgov.com/Page.aspxNavID=2416
Statistics: Colorado Disability
- In El Paso County, which has a population of 450,317 non-institutionalized people, there are 70,710 people with disabilities, or around 13.5% of the population.
- In El Paso county, the employment rate among people without a disability is currently 80.2%, while the employment rate among people with a disability is at 61.3%.
- Of the 70, 710 people with disabilities in El Paso County, 27, 365 of them have a job.
- Arapahoe County, where the Capitol city of Denver is located, finds just over 80% of people without disabilities who seek employment working.
- The overall employment rate for people with disabilities in Denver and Arapahoe county is 67.4%.
- Housing continues to be an issue for people with disabilities in both of the most populated counties of Colorado State.
- Further employment and disability statistics for Colorado.