Whether you have a disability or not, everyone is welcome to freely browse our site, however, you should familiarize yourself with our web site terms and policies, whose links can be found at the bottom of any of our pages, first.
People with disabilities are the largest minority group any person can join at any time, and due to accidents and old age eventually do. One of the key challenges for a person with a disability is to be seen by the public, to be portrayed in media outlets, and treated by health care professionals, as an individual with their own abilities, not just stereotyped as a "disabled person".
Disability will affect the lives of everyone during their life, it is time society changed to acknowledge this. The primary focus of Disabled World is to provide information via our disability, health, medical, assistive products news, and information we receive from worldwide disability organizations, governments, educational institutions, and our own in-house articles and fact sheets.
Main Categories Menu
Defining Disabled and DisabilityThe terms "Disability" and "Disabled" are words undergoing change due to disability rights movements.
The word "disabled" means having physical or mental disability, unable to perform one or more activities because of illness, injury, etc. The word disabled came to be used as the standard term in referring to people with physical or mental disabilities in the late 20th century, and remains the most accepted term in UK and US English.
Disability/Disabled Which is right?
Some people are born with a disability, others become disabled due to an illness or injury, and some develop them as they age. During life almost all of us will have some type of disability.
Disability is a subject you may read or hear about, but not think of as something that may happen to you. However, your chances of becoming disabled are greater than you realize. Today, more people live with disabilities due to our aging societies and improved medical treatment. No one is excluded from joining the world's largest minority group at anytime - including famous people, celebrities, and world leaders.
Some Disability Statistics include:
- 33% of 20-year-old workers will become disabled before reaching retirement age.
- Over a billion people, around 15% of the world's population, have some form of disability.
- There are approximately 3.3 Million wheelchair users in the U.S and the number is increasing every year.
- Rates of disability are increasing due to world population aging and increases in chronic health conditions.
- 1 in 4 US adults (61M) have a disability that impacts major life activities - CDC Morbidity & Mortality Report, 2018-8-17.
- 93-95% of people with disabilities worldwide do not use a wheelchair, though the universal disability symbol is - a wheelchair.
Disabled World News
- Disabled Veterans and Certain Caregivers Can Soon Shop in Army & Air Force Exchange Service Stores | U.S. Department of Defense | 2019/11/15
- Improving Air Travel Accessibility and Inclusion | International Air Transport Association (IATA) | 2019/11/14
- The Sunflower Lanyard Program for Hidden Disabilities | Disabled World | 2019/11/09
- Humanitarian Crisis in the Sahel | The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) | 2019/11/06
- How Neurodiversity Could Help Improve Your Workforce | Bill Ryan | 2019/11/02
- Important Safety Tips and Guidelines for Halloween | Disabled World | 2019/10/23
- Pitch Black: A Dusklight Story - Accessible Audio Game | Pitch Black | 2019/10/22
- Play Cribbage Card Game Against Jake | Disabled World Games
Help Spread Disability AwarenessConnect with Us on Social Media