People with disabilities are the largest minority group any person can join at any time, and due to accidents and old age eventually do. One of the key challenges for a person with a disability is to be seen by the public, to be portrayed in media outlets, and treated by health care professionals, as an individual with their own abilities, not just stereotyped as a "disabled person".
Disability will affect the lives of everyone during their life, it is time society changed to acknowledge this. The primary focus of Disabled World is to provide information via our disability, health, medical, assistive products news, and information we receive from worldwide disability organizations, governments, educational institutions, and our own in-house articles and fact sheets.
Defining Disability and Disabled
The terms "Disability" and "Disabled" are words undergoing change due to disability rights movements. The word "disabled" means having physical or mental disability, unable to perform one or more activities because of illness, injury, etc. The word "disabled" came to be used as the standard term in referring to people with physical or mental disabilities in the late 20th century, and remains the most accepted term in both U.K. and U.S. English - Disability or Disabled Which is right?
Main Categories Menu
Play a Cribbage Game Against Jake - or try our other classic Disabled World Games.
Disabled World News
- Happy Potted Plants Delivered by People with Disability Bring Joy to Locals
Happy Pot Plants Project was established to support participants attending the Day Program to get involved in gardening and art activities they love : The Australian Foundation for Disability (Afford) (2020/04/09)
- List of Skin Diseases and Conditions
Comprehensive list of human skin conditions and diseases of the epidermis, dermis, and subcutaneous tissue that make up the skin : Disabled World (2020/04/08)
- COVID-19 Awareness Ribbon Design Submissions
Submit an awareness ribbon design for Coronavirus COVID-19 or design and color outline that could represent gratitude to front-line workers, remembrance, or other meaning : Disabled World (2020/04/08)
- 6 Feet Not Far Enough for Social Distancing
Article looks at examples of why social distancing should be a far greater distance than the recommended six feet currently advocated : Disabled World (2020/04/06)
- COVIDView: CDC's Weekly COVID-19 Surveillance Report
U.S. CDC COVIDView includes information related to COVID-19 outpatient visits, emergency department visits, hospitalizations and deaths, as well as laboratory data : U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2020/04/05)
- Piloting RC Plane with Toes in Time to Music Played Using Hands Video
Video clip features Ali Asgari, who can control a remote control plane with his toes and play music with his hands at the same time : Disabled World (2020/04/03)
- Global Access to Serious Games and Content for Kids Brain Health
The Uncomplicated Family Group launches Kids Digital Health - a collection of universally accessible serious games and content for children and families with complex needs : The Uncomplicated Family™ (2020/04/02)
More Disability News.
Some people are born with a disability, others become disabled due to an illness or injury, and some develop them as they age. During life almost all of us will have some type of disability.
Disability is a subject you may read or hear about, but not think of as something that may happen to you. However, your chances of becoming disabled are greater than you realize. Today, more people live with disabilities due to our aging societies and improved medical treatment. No one is excluded from joining the world's largest minority group at anytime - including famous people, celebrities, and world leaders. Did you know:
- 33% of 20-year-old workers will become disabled before reaching retirement age.
- Over a billion people, around 15% of the world's population, have some form of disability.
- There are approximately 3.3 Million wheelchair users in the U.S and the number is increasing every year.
- Rates of disability are increasing due to world population aging and increases in chronic health conditions.
- 1 in 4 US adults (61M) have a disability that impacts major life activities - CDC Morbidity & Mortality Report, 2018-8-17.
- 93-95% of people with disabilities worldwide do not use a wheelchair, though the universal disability symbol is - a wheelchair.
You can find many other facts in our disability statistics section.