People with disabilities are the largest minority group any person can join at any time, and due to accidents and old age eventually do. One of the key challenges for a person with a disability is to be seen by the public, to be portrayed in media outlets, and treated by health care professionals, as an individual with their own abilities, not just stereotyped as a "disabled person".
Disability will affect the lives of everyone during their life, it is time society changed to acknowledge this. The primary focus of Disabled World is to provide information via our disability, health, medical, assistive products news, and information we receive from worldwide disability organizations, governments, educational institutions, and our own in-house articles and fact sheets.
Defining Disability and Disabled
The terms Disability and Disabled are words undergoing change due to disability rights movements. The word "disabled" means having physical or mental disability, unable to perform one or more activities because of illness, injury, etc. The word "disabled" came to be used as the standard term in referring to people with physical or mental disabilities in the late 20th century, and remains the most accepted term in both U.K. and U.S. English.
Main Categories Menu
Disabled World News
- Free Online Training and Wellbeing Workshops for Deaf and Disabled Artists Affected by Pandemic
Disabled led theatre company Graeae announces Beyond: Develop FREE online wellbeing and Creative Professional Development workshops for Deaf and disabled artists affected by the COVID-19 : Graeae (2021/01/21)
- Phoenix Instinct AI Powered Smart Wheelchair Wins Toyota Mobility Challenge
Toyota Mobility Foundation, in partnership with Nesta Challenges, announces the winner of $4 million global Mobility Unlimited Challenge in virtual event : Toyota Mobility Foundation (2021/01/20)
- Cancer Care Adaptations and Innovations Through COVID-19
On World Cancer Day UICC shines a light on responses to COVID-19 pandemic by world cancer organization's and individuals struggling to maintain progress in cancer care : Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) (2021/01/20)
More Disability News and Recent Articles.
Some people are born with a disability, others become disabled due to an illness or injury, and some develop them as they age. During life almost all of us will have some type of disability.
Disability is a subject you may read or hear about, but not think of as something that may happen to you. However, your chances of becoming disabled are greater than you realize. Today, more people live with disabilities due to our aging societies and improved medical treatment. No one is excluded from joining the world's largest minority group at anytime - including famous people, celebrities, and world leaders. Did you know:
- 33% of 20-year-old workers will become disabled before reaching retirement age.
- Over a billion people, around 15% of the world's population, have some form of disability.
- There are approximately 3.3 Million wheelchair users in the U.S and the number is increasing every year.
- Rates of disability are increasing due to world population aging and increases in chronic health conditions.
- 1 in 4 US adults (61M) have a disability that impacts major life activities - CDC Morbidity & Mortality Report, 2018-8-17.
- 93-95% of people with disabilities worldwide do not use a wheelchair, though the universal disability symbol is - a wheelchair.
For more facts see our disability statistics section.
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.