People with disabilities are the largest minority group any person can join at any time, and due to accidents and old age eventually do. One of the key challenges for a person with a disability is to be seen by the public, to be portrayed in media outlets, and treated by health care professionals, as an individual with their own abilities, not just stereotyped as a "disabled person".
Disability will affect the lives of everyone during their life, it is time society changed to acknowledge this. The primary focus of Disabled World is to provide information via our disability, health, medical, assistive products news, and information we receive from worldwide disability organizations, governments, educational institutions, and our own in-house articles and fact sheets.
Defining Disability and Disabled
The terms Disability and Disabled are words undergoing change due to disability rights movements. The word "disabled" means having physical or mental disability, unable to perform one or more activities because of illness, injury, etc. The word "disabled" came to be used as the standard term in referring to people with physical or mental disabilities in the late 20th century, and remains the most accepted term in both U.K. and U.S. English.
Main Categories Menu
Disabled World News
- 1 - Gravvity Chat and Social Media Hub : The Gravvity app brings together social media feeds and chat in a single hub application allowing users to customize their online experience around what matters to them.
- 2 - How the Politicization of Covid 19 Affects People with Disabilities : Article by Kathleen M. Cleaver regarding Covid-19 effects on health and the disability community.
- 3 - Website Accessibility Software Global Market Analysis : Detailed study of all the crucial aspects of the Website Accessibility Software market is included in the market report such as market share, production, regions, key players, etc..
- 4 - Portland Anti-Racism, Disability Justice and Transformative Justice Grants : Portland City approves quarter-million dollars in community grants around anti-racism, disability justice and transformative justice.
- 5 - Learning with Lynette: Autism Acceptance Month Series with Dr. Lynette Louise and Louloua Smadi : The Learning with Lynette videos have been consistently uploaded and made public throughout the month of April, Autism Acceptance Month.
More Disability News and Recent Articles.
Some people are born with a disability, others become disabled due to an illness or injury, and some develop them as they age. During life almost all of us will have some type of disability.
Disability is a subject you may read or hear about, but not think of as something that may happen to you. However, your chances of becoming disabled are greater than you realize. Today, more people live with disabilities due to our aging societies and improved medical treatment. No one is excluded from joining the world's largest minority group at anytime - including famous people, celebrities, and world leaders. Did you know:
- 33% of 20-year-old workers will become disabled before reaching retirement age.
- Over a billion people, around 15% of the world's population, have some form of disability.
- There are approximately 3.3 Million wheelchair users in the U.S and the number is increasing every year.
- Rates of disability are increasing due to world population aging and increases in chronic health conditions.
- 1 in 4 US adults (61M) have a disability that impacts major life activities - CDC Morbidity & Mortality Report, 2018-8-17.
- 93-95% of people with disabilities worldwide do not use a wheelchair, though the universal disability symbol is - a wheelchair.
For more facts see our disability statistics section.
Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Disabled World. Title: Disabled World, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/>Disabled World</a>. Retrieved: 2021-02-25, from https://www.disabled-world.com/ - Reference: DW#001-7.3.1a.