The primary focus of Disabled World is to present information received from world governments, educational institutions, disability organizations, and our exclusive stories. You are welcome to connect with us on social media such as Twitter and Facebook.
People with disabilities are the largest minority group any person can join at any time and due to accidents and old age eventually do. In fact, disability affects the lives of everyone at some point during their life and it is time society changed to acknowledge this.
One of the key challenges for a person with a disability is to be seen by the public, portrayed by the media, and treated by health care professionals, as an individual with their own abilities, not just stereotyped as a "disabled person" - Disability and Disabled are terms continually undergoing change due to disability rights movements.
Main Categories Menu
More Disability News and Recent Articles.
Some people are born with a disability, others become disabled due to an illness or injury, and some develop them as they age. During life almost all of us will have some type of disability.
Disability is a subject you may read or hear about, but not think of as something that may happen to you. However, your chances of becoming disabled are greater than you realize. Today, more people live with disabilities due to our aging societies and improved medical treatment. No one is excluded from joining the world's largest minority group at anytime - including famous people, celebrities, and world leaders. Did you know:
- 33% of 20-year-old workers will become disabled before reaching retirement age.
- Over a billion people, around 15% of the world's population, have some form of disability.
- There are approximately 3.3 Million wheelchair users in the U.S and the number is increasing every year.
- Rates of disability are increasing due to world population aging and increases in chronic health conditions.
- 1 in 4 US adults (61M) have a disability that impacts major life activities - CDC Morbidity & Mortality Report, 2018-8-17.
- 93-95% of people with disabilities worldwide do not use a wheelchair, though the universal disability symbol is - a wheelchair.
For more facts see our disability statistics section.
Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information.
Cite Page: Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Disabled World. Title: Disabled World, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/>Disabled World</a>. Retrieved: 2021-07-30, from https://www.disabled-world.com/ - Reference: DW#001-8.5.7c.