In Internal piles, discharge of blood is much higher than in external piles. Bleeding, pain and irritation during passing stools are some of the very common symptoms of piles. The main reason of piles is supposed chronic constipation and other bowel disorders. Other causes include standing or sitting consistently for a long time, exhausting exertion, obesity, general weakness, mental stress etc. Sometimes it can be due to heredity also. In females, piles are more common during period of pregnancy.
Traditional medicine system has been prevailing in India since time immemorial. Tribals of Patalkot (Central India) mainly Gonds and Bharia have been using their traditional knowledge generation after generation to cure their disorders. This article mainly deals with some important practices performed by these tribals for curing piles. Tribals collect herbs and prepare medicine by their own. The aim of the current article is to document their knowledge and share it with the modern world.
1. Combination of herbs viz., Bhringraj (Eclipta alba), Harad (Terminalia chebula), Baheda (Terminalia bellirica), Amla (Emblica officinalis), Adusi (Adhatoda zeylanica), Chitrak (Plumbago zeylanica), Peeper (Piper longum) and Bel (Aegle marmelos).
Drug combination: Eclipta alba leaves (3 1/2 tbsp), Terminalia chebula fruits (1 1/2 tbsp), Terminalia bellirica fruits (1 tbsp), Emblica officinalis fruits (1 tbsp), Adhatoda vasica leaves (1 tbsp), Plumbago zeylanica roots (1/2 tbsp), Piper longum fruits (1/2 tbsp), Aegle marmelos fruits (1 tbsp).
Method of preparation: Take all the ingredients in suggested quantity and powder it in mixer grinder or by mortar-pestle and sieve them carefully. Store in a cool and dry place in air-tight box.
Dosage: One teaspoonful powder should be given to the patient, twice a day (morning and at bed time) with cold water.
2. Combination of herbs viz., Borsalli (Mimusops elengi) and Kali mirch (Piper nigrum).
Drug combination: Mimusops elengi seeds (20 nos.) and Piper nigrum seeds (20 nos.).
Method of preparation: Take 20 seeds of each ingredient and grind them finely.
Dosage: Take whole mixture in a single dosage.
Precautions suggested: Take this powder in a single dosage with water early in the morning without consuming any food. After taking this formulation, the patient have to remain in standing up position at least for next 6 hours without consuming any liquid or food. It is said to be wonderful formulation by tribal medicine men as only a single dosage clears all the piles for life time as claimed by them.
3. Combination of herbs viz., Shisham (Dalbergia sissoo), Kali mirch (Piper nigrum), Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum) and Amla (Emblica officinalis).
Drug combination: Dalbergia sissoo leaves (1 tbsp), Piper nigrum seeds (1/2 tbsp), Ocimum sanctum leaves (1 1/2 tbsp) and Emblica officinalis fruits (2 tbsp).
Method of preparation: Take all ingredients and dry well in mild sun light and prepare powder with the help of grinder or mortar-pestle. Sieve this mixture with fine sieve and store it on dry and cool place.
Dosage: Take 1/2 teaspoon of this formulation with honey early in the morning without consuming any food.
Precautions suggested: Take at least 2 glass cold water after 30 minutes and then go for toilet.
Other useful formulations:
1. Consumption of Karela (Momordica charantia) juice in the morning and vegetable of its fruits in the meals is very effective against piles. The root paste is also applied on piles externally.
2. Take one spoon powder of Isabgul (Plantago ovata) at night.with a glass of cold water. It cures constipation and also inflammation and ulceration in the intestine and anus.
3. Consume 10 fruits of Jamun (Syzygium cumini) fruits with salt in breakfast or in lunch.
4. Take 1 teaspoon powder of Mango (Mangifera indica) seeds with water twice in a day.
5. Take 4 Figs (Ficus carica) and soak it in water for overnight. Consume it on early morning without consuming any thing.
6. One teaspoon Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) powder with a glass of cold water is also seems to be an effective formulation.
Apart from taking any of the suggested formulations, it is recommended to avoid consuming oily or spicy food. Consume easily digestible, fibre-rich meals and avoid constipation creating food such as Maida etc. Consumption of atleast 2.5 Litre water in a day is highly recommended. Prepare a routine for your daily life with your own experience that suits you the best. Take a good sleep of at least 8 hours in night.
These traditional formulations are being used since long back by the tribals of Patalkot, but they might not necessarily work exactly as claimed. The authors of this article have published it with intention to put together this knowledge in public domain. Please consult your family doctor before consuming it.
About the Authors:
Dr Deepak Acharya: He is Director of Abhumka Herbal Pvt Ltd- Ahmedabad, India. He has been documenting ethnobotanical knowledge of tribals of Central and Western India since long. He has written 35 research papers in National and International journals of repute. He writes popular articles for web and magazines. Meet him on his homepage dracharya.tripod.com or contact via email on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr Anshu Shrivastava: He is a Botanist and PhD from BSI- Jodhpur, at present working with herbal formulation development company in Ahmedabad. He has written several popular articles and research papers on floristics, ethnobotany, conservation, and on medicinal plants. Recently he has published a book on "Biodiversity of Ranthambhore Tiger Reserve, Rajasthan." For contact visit his homepage: ansh24.googlepages.com or e-mail on email@example.com
Dr Garima Sancheti: She is PhD (alumnus) in the field of Radiation and Cancer Biology from Department of Zoology (University of Rajasthan, India). She has to her credit various research papers in scientific journals as well as articles on web. Contact her on firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Sanjay Pawar: He is a PhD in Botany. He has to have credit to work in the Patalkot valley for a long time. He visits Patalkot for scouting of tribal knowledge. Contact him on email@example.com