Health and Disability Apps for iPhone, Android and Mobile Devices
Disabled World: Revised/Updated: 2019/02/11
Synopsis: A list of popular disability and health apps for mobile devices including iPad iPhone Windows Phones and Android hand held devices.
Defining Application Software (App)
The term "app" is a shortening of the term "application software". It has become very popular, and in 2010 was listed as "Word of the Year" by the American Dialect Society.
A computer program designed to run on smartphones, tablet computers and other mobile devices. Apps are usually available through application distribution platforms, which began appearing in 2008 and are typically operated by the owner of the mobile operating system, such as the Apple App Store, Google Play, Windows Phone Store, and BlackBerry App World.
A set of one or more programs designed to carry out operations for a specific application. Application software cannot run on itself but is dependent on system software to execute. Examples of application software include MS Word, MS Excel, a console game, a library management system, a spreadsheet system etc.
Handy Health and Disability Apps
The use of the iPhone, iPod, iPad and other mobile devices has been a revolutionary new platform for assistive technology. Today you can find hundreds, if not thousands, of apps relating to disabilities and health. These tools simplify many calculations as well as provide valuable information on topics concerning disability and/or health issues. Generally apps cost a couple of dollars to purchase, however there are also a number of handy apps available that can be downloaded to your mobile device such as iPhone or iPad for free. List of apps include:
Apple iPhone screen showing icons of installed apps.
- Apps for Windows Phone can be found at - www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/apps/default.aspx
- Apps for Apple devices such as iPod, iPad and iPhone can be found at the Apple App Store for:
- iPhone - www.apple.com/iphone/apps-for-iphone/
- iPad - www.apple.com/ipad/apps-for-ipad/
- iPod Touch - www.apple.com/ipodtouch/features/app-store.html
- Apps for Android Devices can be obtained from - https://market.android.com/
- Apps for BlackBerry at BlackBerry's App World - appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/
- List of handy and accessible VoiceOver Compatible Apps for iPhone and Mac
U.S. FDA Proposes Health App Guideline
The variety and availability of smartphone applications, or apps, have exploded in recent years as multi-tasking consumers increasingly use their phones to keep up with the latest on news, finance, and health. Apple says its iPhone App Store has more than 350,000 apps, and Android, BlackBerry, Windows, and other smartphones account for tens of thousands more. With so many apps on the market, it's no wonder the number of health care related apps has also spiraled.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now proposing guidelines that outline the small number of mobile apps the agency plans to oversee medical apps that could present a risk to patients if the apps don't work as intended.
FDA is proposing to oversee mobile medical apps that:
- Are used as an accessory to an FDA-regulated medical device. For example, an app could enable a health care professional to view medical images on an iPad and make a diagnosis;
- Transform a mobile platform into a regulated medical device. For example, an app that turns a smartphone into an electrocardiography, or ECG, machine to detect abnormal heart rhythms or determine if a patient is experiencing a heart attack.
Our list below covers handy health and medical related apps available through Apple's AppStore and BlackBerry's App World as well as apps available for Google's Android operating system platform.
Associated Sub-Topics and Pertinent Documents
Suggested Related Articles
- 1 - AccessAble App Takes the Chance Out of Going Out in the UK - AccessAble - (2019/02/15).
- 2 - Track My Route School Bus Tracking App Gives Special Needs Parents Peace of Mind - TMR Technology - (2019/02/11).
- 3 - Screen Reader Plus Keyboard Helps Blind, Low-Vision Users Browse Modern Webpages - University of Washington - (2018/04/18).
- 4 - HopkinsPD Smartphone App Helps Doctors Track Severity of Parkinson's Disease Symptoms - Johns Hopkins University - (2018/04/07).
- 5 - Cleen App Aims to Improve UK Public Washroom Standards and Accessibility - Sarah Jenkin-Jones - (2018/02/10).
- 6 - Libby App Enables Free Ebooks and Audiobooks From the Library - Rakuten OverDrive - (2017/12/27).
- 👉 For further related information see our full list of Disability Apps Documents - (117 Fact Sheets).