ComApp 3 from Special Learning for Those Affected by Autism
Published : 2013-02-15 - Updated : 2014-01-17
Author : Special Learning - Contact: www.special-learning.com
🛈 Synopsis : ComApp3 offers a fully customizable adaptation using a simple-to-use icon-based system that adheres to the principles of Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA).
Main DigestComApp3 offers a fully customizable adaptation of its highly effective ComApp. Using a highly attractive, simple-to-use icon-based system that adheres to the principles of Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA), the app gives voice to individuals affected by developmental disabilities by allowing them to express simple requests quickly and successfully. The app focuses on five main categories essential to communication: food, drink, clothing, toys and emotions.
This latest version now allows users to personalize their app, not only through the app's online Mobile Dashboard, but also directly from the user's device with the use of the camera, personal photo gallery and a built-in voice recorder. This means that no third-party applications are needed to upload images and voice files. Parents and providers can fully customize the app to their own liking and have the customization, whether from the device or Mobile Dashboard, appear in both locations through the use of the synchronization function.
The third version of Special Learning's mobile communication app also includes the reporting functions offered on the previous versions that track frequency data by category and by individual item. Through the Mobile Dashboard, parents and providers can also run reports to track the frequency data from the device, and, most importantly, save the settings for future use through the synchronization function.
This app was developed under the guidance of Board Certified Behavior Analysts (BCBAs) and organized in a manner found to be successful in practice. The convenience of having this app in either a portable Android or Kindle Fire device is that it is readily accessible anytime and anywhere without the hassle of carrying around picture cards to communicate.
The app is also user friendly and intuitive so that all children with ASD, regardless of their level of ability, can learn to use it quickly.
ComApp 3Key features of the app include:
- Provides fully customizable items per category
- Use of device camera or photo gallery to customize or create a new item directly from the device
- Use of the built-in voice recorder to update or create new voice files
- High-definition graphics designed to accommodate and fully utilize large screen devices, making it more engaging and simpler for children to use
- Intuitive and kid-friendly interface designed specifically for use of children with ASD that offers very simple navigation, making it easy for children to learn and use without a lot of instructions
- Versatility to choose between three different photographs of every item in each of the five main categories to allow therapists to teach generalization skills to children that are ready to learn these skills
- Customizable options categories to enable or disable photos in the "Icon Library" to select only those items that are appropriate for their child
- Administrative functions that offer an abundance of other customization features including:
- Four "Voice" options;
- Five "Themes" or backgrounds: default, aquatic, butterfly, creatures, and trucks;
- Two "Picture Size" options: small, and large;
- Ability to choose "Word" or "Phrase" for emotions icons;
- Ability to enable or disable "Item Titles" which appear on top of each icon
To learn more about the app, visit www.special-learning.com/comapp2
Related Disability Apps Documents
- 1: KNFB Reader App: Sight for People with Vision Disability : App allows people who are blind to listen to audio, read back printed text from menus in restaurants, to browsing handouts in the classroom.
- 2: Google Glass App Real Time Closed Captioning : Researchers have created speech-to-text software for Google Glass that helps hard-of-hearing with everyday conversations.
- 3: Voiceitt Makes Alexa Accessible for Disabled : Voiceitt announces people with speech impairments will now be able to use the Voiceitt mobile app to access and interact with Amazon Alexa.
- 4: Sensory from Within Autism Discovery App : Sensory from Within App enables wide range of ages, abilities, and communication styles, to understand the Autism spectrum and gain tools, strategies, and understanding.
- 5: Autism & Beyond: Autism Facial Expressions App : Autism & Beyond App screens for autism by reading facial expressions of children for emotional cues.
You're reading Disabled World. Be sure to check out our homepage for further informative disability news, reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also follow Disabled World on social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Special Learning. Electronic Publication Date: 2013-02-15 - Revised: 2014-01-17. Title: ComApp 3 from Special Learning for Those Affected by Autism, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/assistivedevices/apps/comapp3.php>ComApp 3 from Special Learning for Those Affected by Autism</a>. Retrieved 2021-04-10, from https://www.disabled-world.com/assistivedevices/apps/comapp3.php - Reference: DW#468-9574.