Google Adds Accessibility to Docs, Sheets, and Slides
Author: Disabled World : Contact: Disabled World
Published: 2015-01-26 : (Rev. 2017-01-29)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Google is boosting accessibility of mobile versions of its Docs, Sheets, and Slides apps on Android and iOS with some extra features.
According to the post from Google today Docs, Sheets and Slides are all becoming much more accessible within the Google ecosystem.
This release includes new features, improvements include real-time spell-checking in documents, hiding rows and columns in spreadsheets, and grouping shapes in presentations.
Now get the familiar red line underneath incorrectly spelled words as you type. This helps check for accuracy while typing on the touch-screen keyboard. Docs also received new line spacing features.
You can now hide rows and columns, useful for using the small screen area on mobile devices. Sheets also received a new scroll faster feature.
You're now able to group different objects together by dragging them around the screen giving much better ability to move and shape content within slide-shows much more effectively.
People with vision disabilities can use screen-reading services like TalkBack on Android and VoiceOver on iOS to create, edit, and share files in Docs, Sheets and Slides.
The updated apps also respond well to screen magnification, in case you need to zoom in for a closer look.
All of the updates are available from the App Store (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-docs/id842842640) now for the iOS versions of Docs, Slides, and Sheets.
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later.
- Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
- 1: KNFB Reader App: Sight for People with Vision Disability : Thomas C. Weiss (2014/09/22)
- 2: Google Glass App Real Time Closed Captioning : Georgia Institute of Technology (2014/10/11)
- 3: Voiceitt Makes Alexa Accessible for Disabled : Voiceitt (2020/12/05)
- 4: Sensory from Within Autism Discovery App : Spectrum Idea Lab (2015/11/13)
- 5: Autism & Beyond: Autism Facial Expressions App : Office of Naval Research (2015/12/30)
- 6: Android Apps for Teaching Autistic and Learning Disabled Kids : Blooming Kids Software, LLC (2014/12/28)
- 7: Apps for All Accessible and Universal Technology Ideathon : Apps para todos (2016/06/01)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.