Accessible Twitter Changes Name to Easy Chirp
Published : 2011-06-01 - Updated : 2018-04-19
Author : Web Overhauls - Contact: weboverhauls.com
Synopsis* : Easy Chirp accessible application empowers users with disabilities and low end technology to access Twitter online.
The web-accessible application empowers users with disabilities and low-end technology to access Twitter, the popular social micro-blogging web service.
The name change is due to several reasons, the foremost is that the Twitter rules of use for third-party applications does not allow the word "Twitter" in the name of the application. Also, the word "easy" is simpler to understand than "accessible", especially to those not in the accessibility or disability communities. And, the new name is considerably shorter, especially important with the 140-character limit in Twitter statuses, better known as tweets.
Disabled users typically have significant problems accessing many websites and web services, including Twitter. Easy Chirp greatly helps the issue through many development techniques including:
- Ensuring that all links are keyboard accessible
- Providing consistent navigation and page structure; providing proper headings
- Easy Chirp is used by those with and without disabilities.
Mr. Dennis E. Lembree, owner of the web development company WebOverhauls.com, is the creator of Easy Chirp, and is dedicated to expanding the accessibility of the web.
"Web accessibility is finally becoming much more mainstream, as it needs to be. I think the name change reflects this by not specifically calling out accessibility, and helps expose the web app to a wider base of users." - Dennis Lembree of WebOverhauls
- The website logo and design remain consistent after the name change.
- The old domain name AccessibleTwitter.com will continue to be functional.
In addition to reading and posting tweets in Easy Chirp, features include direct messaging, URL-shortening, running and saving searches, viewing popular links, and providing full support for lists.
Mr. Jennison Asuncion works in the IT Accessibility space in Canada, and is himself a screen reader user. He chooses Easy Chirp for his Twitter application. "I'm an active Twitter user who prefers an accessible web-based client. Easy Chirp fits the bill perfectly!"
Easy Chirp/Accessible Twitter has been mentioned in numerous articles and books, and received the American Foundation for the Blind 2011 Access Award.
Web Overhauls is a web development company specializing in web standards, usability, and accessibility. Web Overhauls develops websites for small to medium-sized businesses with a focus on improving existing websites for a better user experience. The company is a member of GAWDS and Refresh Detroit. Mr. Dennis E. Lembree, the President of Web Overhauls, is an established expert in the field; he is an author and speaker, the creator of Easy Chirp, and the author of Web Axe, a podcast and blog about web accessibility.
- Web Overhauls - For more information, visit www.weboverhauls.com
- Easy Chirp - For more information, visit www.easychirp.com
You're reading Disabled World. Be sure to check out our homepage for further informative disability news, reviews, disability sports events, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also find us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Related Disability Apps Documents
- 1: KNFB Reader App: Sight for People with Vision Disability : App allows people who are blind to listen to audio, read back printed text from menus in restaurants, to browsing handouts in the classroom.
- 2: Google Glass App Real Time Closed Captioning : Researchers have created speech-to-text software for Google Glass that helps hard-of-hearing with everyday conversations.
- 3: Voiceitt Makes Alexa Accessible for Disabled : Voiceitt announces people with speech impairments will now be able to use the Voiceitt mobile app to access and interact with Amazon Alexa.
- 4: Sensory from Within Autism Discovery App : Sensory from Within App enables wide range of ages, abilities, and communication styles, to understand the Autism spectrum and gain tools, strategies, and understanding.
- 5: Autism & Beyond: Autism Facial Expressions App : Autism & Beyond App screens for autism by reading facial expressions of children for emotional cues.
*Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Web Overhauls. Electronic Publication Date: 2011-06-01 - Revised: 2018-04-19. Title: Accessible Twitter Changes Name to Easy Chirp, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/assistivedevices/apps/easy-chirp.php>Accessible Twitter Changes Name to Easy Chirp</a>. Retrieved 2021-04-16, from https://www.disabled-world.com/assistivedevices/apps/easy-chirp.php - Reference: DW#468-7816.