Apps for All Accessible and Universal Technology Ideathon
Author: Apps para todos(i) : Contact: smartcityapphack.com
Published: 2016-06-01 : (Rev. 2020-10-16)
Synopsis and Key Points:
A meeting between developers, designers and citizens eager to share ideas and start developing applications accessible to people with disabilities.
An ideathon is generally defined as a short, intensive, workshop-like experience for people to address pressing issues and/or challenges.
Brainstorming is a group creativity technique by which efforts are made to find a conclusion for a specific problem by gathering a list of ideas spontaneously contributed by its members.
'Apps para todos' (Apps for all) will open with an "Ideathon" on June 18th, a meeting between developers, designers and citizens eager to share ideas and start developing applications accessible to people with disabilities. This work will then continue with an incubation phase allowing others which may wish to join to do so.
What is an Ideathon?
An ideathon is generally defined as a short, intensive, workshop-like experience for people to address pressing issues and/or challenges. Brainstorming is a group creativity technique by which efforts are made to find a conclusion for a specific problem by gathering a list of ideas spontaneously contributed by its members. Whereas a think tank or policy institute, research institute, etc. is an organization that performs research and advocacy concerning topics such as social policy, political strategy, economics, military, technology, and culture.
Disability organisation COCEMFE and app incubation platform Smart City Hack has joined forces to find and nurture the best apps able to give true accessibility to all. Running under the title 'Apps For All' the project, which coincides with the tenth anniversary of the United Nations Convention for the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, will bring together developers eager to create applications with accessibility and inclusion truly at their heart.
The challenge set is that through great design the developer's apps must;
- Improve ICT accessibility.
- Move towards the concept of universal accessibility.
- Help people with disabilities (as well as the elderly) to have free and unconditioned life decision-making possibilities while also helping eliminate stigma.
In short, 'Apps for all' is a call to the technology community to put all of its talent and effort into developing technological solutions that are universal and accessible to all.
An 'Ideathon' for All
The project will start with an 'Ideathon' on June 18th in Barcelona, a meeting for developers, coders, designers, creatives and citizens who want to help improve accessibility via mobile/ web apps. The work themes that are proposed are urban transport, culture and tourism, health and wellness and collaborative city.
This first meeting will bring together participants with mentors and experts who will guide them throughout the creative process, pushing prototypes and concepts into real, downloadable applications. Registration to attend the event is open, free.
Incubation and Online Competition
From the 18th starts an incubation phase where an online meeting point and platform for developers will be provided by Smart City Hack. Here they'll have access to mentors, workshops, webinars with any material that comes out of these sessions used to keep improving the project as a whole.
The aim is that by the end of the incubation ideas would have become viable products. This stage will also be open to the inclusion of projects that have not been featured in the previous stages or ideathon.
This phase will continue will continue until an online competition in which the finished apps will be voted on by a jury and the public with the best apps that arise competing in a final event in October.
Smart City Hack and 'Apps Para Todos'
Smart City Hack and Apps for all wish to boost mobile accessibility through a collaboration between the tech community and citizens eager to create new apps focused on universal design and universal accessibility. The challenge at its core has two main goals: to meet the objectives of the tenth anniversary of the Convention of the United Nations Rights of Persons with Disabilities, and secondly, to help improve the global network of smart cities and the concept of what makes a city 'human'.
(i)Source/Reference: Apps para todos. Disabled World makes no warranties or representations in connection therewith. Content may have been edited for style, clarity or length.
- 1 - Apps for All Accessible and Universal Technology Ideathon : Apps para todos (2016/06/01)
- 2 - Google Glass Holli App Assists Social Interactions for Children with ASD : Frontiers (2017/09/16)
- 3 - Your Computer Can Help Find Potential COVID-19 Treatments : IBM (2020/04/29)
- 4 - Development of Smartphone App for Early Detection of Autism : University at Buffalo (2016/11/11)
- 5 - Serving the Under-served : Health for Everyone App : Health for Everyone (2020/04/30)
- 6 - Unitron Coach App Enables Users to Take Control of Hearing Health : Unitron (2020/02/28)
- 7 - IVH HIT App Provides Coronavirus (CoViD-19) Prevention and Safety Tips : iValueHealth (2020/02/27)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.