Autism Discovery App Tool for iOS
Author: Spectrum Idea Lab : Contact: www.spectrumidealab.com
Synopsis and Key Points:
App enables wide range of ages, abilities, and communication styles, to understand the Autism spectrum and gain tools, strategies, and understanding.
The Autism Discovery Tool: Sensory from Within is a mobile app that aims to improve sensory environments for people on the autism spectrum by empowering people in home, school, and community settings to better understand and communicate about the autism spectrum.
Spectrum Idea Lab Inc., an Ottawa-based company that retools learning through innovation and technology, is excited to announce the launch of their Autism Discovery Tool: Sensory from Within app. This mobile app aims to improve sensory environments for people on the autism spectrum by empowering people in home, school, and community settings to better understand and communicate about the autism spectrum.
More than 3.5 million Americans are on the autism spectrum.
Today, the prevalence rate accounts for one in 68 births, according to the Autism Society. Autism spectrum disorder is defined as a group of complex differences in brain development. These differences are characterized, in varying degrees, by difficulties with social interaction, sensory, verbal and nonverbal communication, and repetitive behaviors. Research indicates over 90 percent of children with autism display atypical sensory behaviors.
Autism App Screenshot 1
After two years of research and development, Spectrum Idea Lab Inc.'s Autism Discovery Tool app aims to improve sensory environments in communities and help people to better understand and communicate about the needs of individuals on the autism spectrum. Making use of the feature-rich iPad, this exploratory, play-based app immerses users into sensory experiences that raise awareness of how others may interpret their environment differently.
The app is broken down into the seven senses, which include vision, hearing, touch, taste, smell, balance, and body position. Each sense uses common scenarios, such as sitting in a classroom, playing mini-putt, making a smoothie, or playing in a park, to demonstrate some of the sensory diversity found on the spectrum, including both strengths and challenges.
Additionally, hidden tools can be discovered in each of the scenarios, providing useful sensory strategies that can be applied in the real world.
Autism App Screenshot 2
With its open-ended, low-barrier learning environment, this app enables a wide range of ages, abilities, and communication styles to better understand the spectrum and gain the tools, strategies, and understanding that are necessary in the development of better environments for those on the autism spectrum.
"Every person has unique sensory likes, dislikes, and interests, and in a world that is not always sensory-friendly, understanding the impact of the senses on daily life for many autistic individuals can be challenging," says Janie Pearson, Content Director at Spectrum Idea Lab Inc. "The Autism Discovery Tool is valuable in the home, helping individuals with autism and their families learn greater self-awareness, strategies, and better communication about their own sensory needs. Extended family members, friends, classmates, and those that work or interact with autistic individuals on a regular basis, such as librarians, school staff, and store employees, can all use this app to learn how to better manage sensory environments."
Autism App Screenshot 3
Spectrum Idea Lab Inc. has creatively embedded layers of knowledge, including many voices of autism, into a powerful learning tool essential in every home, school, and community setting touched with autism. The Autism Discovery Tool is available for the iPad at $9.99 U.S.
Visit the website spectrumidealab.com for more information.
- 1 - Apps for All Accessible and Universal Technology Ideathon : Apps para todos (2016/06/01)
- 2 - Google Glass Holli App Assists Social Interactions for Children with ASD : Frontiers (2017/09/16)
- 3 - Your Computer Can Help Find Potential COVID-19 Treatments : IBM (2020/04/29)
- 4 - Development of Smartphone App for Early Detection of Autism : University at Buffalo (2016/11/11)
- 5 - Serving the Under-served : Health for Everyone App : Health for Everyone (2020/04/30)
- 6 - Unitron Coach App Enables Users to Take Control of Hearing Health : Unitron (2020/02/28)
- 7 - IVH HIT App Provides Coronavirus (CoViD-19) Prevention and Safety Tips : iValueHealth (2020/02/27)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.