App Warns of Obstacles for People with Vision Disability
Published : 2014-05-29
Author : Ibnlive - Contact: ibnlive.in.com
🛈 Synopsis : New smartphone application warns people with vision disabilities of obstacles in their way to help them better navigate their environments.
Main DigestResearchers at the University of Alicante in Spain developed the app that uses a phone's built-in 3D camera to detect obstacles, and then produces a vibration or tone to alert the user.
The app was tested with nine participants who had vision disabilities severe enough that they couldn't see objects in their way without help.
During the test, the participants wore a cell phone around their necks on a lanyard, with the cameras facing forward.
As the subjects walked, the cameras picked up on objects.
Because the 3D camera has two lenses, the phone had binocular vision, just like human eyes. This allowed the software to estimate the distance to objects within its field of view.
When the app calculated that an object was closer than about six feet, the phone vibrated or sounded a tone.
As the obstacle got closer, the frequency of vibrations or sound level increased, 'LiveScience' reported.
The app isn't yet ready for prime time, researchers said, noting that the particular model of phone they used in their testing has been discontinued.
The team is developing a version for Google Glass, after winning a grant from the Vodafone Spain Foundation in 2013 for an earlier version of the app.
A full version is expected to be available in 2015.
The study appeared in the IEEE Journal of Biomedical Health Informatics .
Related Disability Apps Documents
- 1: KNFB Reader App: Sight for People with Vision Disability : App allows people who are blind to listen to audio, read back printed text from menus in restaurants, to browsing handouts in the classroom.
- 2: Google Glass App Real Time Closed Captioning : Researchers have created speech-to-text software for Google Glass that helps hard-of-hearing with everyday conversations.
- 3: Voiceitt Makes Alexa Accessible for Disabled : Voiceitt announces people with speech impairments will now be able to use the Voiceitt mobile app to access and interact with Amazon Alexa.
- 4: Sensory from Within Autism Discovery App : Sensory from Within App enables wide range of ages, abilities, and communication styles, to understand the Autism spectrum and gain tools, strategies, and understanding.
- 5: Autism & Beyond: Autism Facial Expressions App : Autism & Beyond App screens for autism by reading facial expressions of children for emotional cues.
You're reading Disabled World. Be sure to check out our homepage for further informative disability news, reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also follow Disabled World on social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Ibnlive. Electronic Publication Date: 2014-05-29. Title: App Warns of Obstacles for People with Vision Disability, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/assistivedevices/apps/obstacles.php>App Warns of Obstacles for People with Vision Disability</a>. Retrieved 2021-04-10, from https://www.disabled-world.com/assistivedevices/apps/obstacles.php - Reference: DW#468-10358.