Apple App Store - Special Education Section
Published: 2011-03-08 : (Rev. 2013-06-03)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Parents can access a wide range of apps, such as Proloquo2Go for augmentative communication solutions.
Main DigestSpecial Education Section Added to Apple App Store - Apple further strengthened its long-standing relationship with education by adding a Special Education section to its App Store in October.
It features five sub-sections as follows:
- Language Development
- Literacy and Learning
This includes 72 applications for the iPhone and 13 applications for the iPad in 10 categories ranging from communication to emotional development and life skills.
Apps, which have become increasingly popular in recent years, can be used as assistive technology devices, organizational tools and teaching aids. They are used with Apple's iPhone, iPad or iPod devices.
Now parents can access a wide range of apps, such as Proloquo2Go (itunes.apple.com/us/app/proloquo2go/id308368164mt=8) for augmentative communication solutions.
IEP Checklist (itunes.apple.com/us/app/iep-checklist/id348702423mt=8) for parents and educators who need help developing a student's individualized education program
KidCalc 7-in-1 Math Fun (itunes.apple.com/us/app/kidcalc-7-in-1-math-fun-including/id324332876mt=8) for skills like number recognition, counting and math facts, to name a few.
Apps have been used to assist with a host of physical and mental needs, ranging from loss of sight to victims of stroke and children with autism. Overall, Apple is being applauded for highlighting this growing market.
Reprinted with permission - www.scioto.com
- 1: KNFB Reader App: Sight for People with Vision Disability : Thomas C. Weiss (2014/09/22)
- 2: Google Glass App Real Time Closed Captioning : Georgia Institute of Technology (2014/10/11)
- 3: Voiceitt Makes Alexa Accessible for Disabled : Voiceitt (2020/12/05)
- 4: Sensory from Within Autism Discovery App : Spectrum Idea Lab (2015/11/13)
- 5: Autism & Beyond: Autism Facial Expressions App : Office of Naval Research (2015/12/30)
- 6: Android Apps for Teaching Autistic and Learning Disabled Kids : Blooming Kids Software, LLC (2014/12/28)
- 7: Apps for All Accessible and Universal Technology Ideathon : Apps para todos (2016/06/01)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.