VizWiz iPhone Application for Blind
Published : 2011-05-19
Author : Disabled World
Synopsis* : VizWiz is a project application aimed at enabling blind people to recruit remote sighted workers to help them with visual problems in nearly real-time.
Main DigestVizWiz: Nearly Realtime Answers to Visual Questions.
The lack of access to visual information like text labels, icons, and colors can cause frustration and decrease independence for blind people.
VizWiz is a project application aimed at enabling blind people to recruit remote sighted workers to help them with visual problems in nearly real-time. Users take a picture with their phone, speak a question, and then receive multiple spoken answers.
With the web as their eyes, the blind will able to read menus, identify canned foods, and tell whether that park has any free benches without having to walk over.
Google's Android platform and the Apple iPhone 3GS now include free screen readers. The iPhone has proven particularly popular among blind users, which motivated the developers to concentrate on it for VizWiz. Apple's stringent controls on the applications available on its online store and tighter integration of its screen reader (VoiceOver) with the operating system has resulted in a large number of accessible applications.
Touchscreen devices like the iPhone were once assumed to be inaccessible to blind users, but well-designed, multi-touch interfaces leverage the spatial layout of the screen and can even be preferred by blind people.
VizWiz, which is being tested by teams of blind volunteers, hasn't left the lab yet. But the volunteers are fans: it would be "very useful," one said (via New Scientist), "because I get so frustrated when I need sighted help and no one is there." Though an in-depth study on VizWiz was released last year, there's no word yet from the scientists on when this will hit the market.
For more information visit vizwiz.org and www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jbigham/papers/vizwizuist/vizwiz.pdf
About the Author
Disabled World (Disabled-World.Com) is an independent disability community established in 2004 to provide disability news, assistive technology reviews, and disability sporting events, as well as general information for people with disabilities, seniors, their family and/or carers. Be sure to check out our homepage for informative reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also find us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Related Disability Apps Documents
- 1: KNFB Reader App: Sight for People with Vision Disability : App allows people who are blind to listen to audio, read back printed text from menus in restaurants, to browsing handouts in the classroom.
- 2: Google Glass App Real Time Closed Captioning : Researchers have created speech-to-text software for Google Glass that helps hard-of-hearing with everyday conversations.
- 3: Voiceitt Makes Alexa Accessible for Disabled : Voiceitt announces people with speech impairments will now be able to use the Voiceitt mobile app to access and interact with Amazon Alexa.
- 4: Sensory from Within Autism Discovery App : Sensory from Within App enables wide range of ages, abilities, and communication styles, to understand the Autism spectrum and gain tools, strategies, and understanding.
- 5: Autism & Beyond: Autism Facial Expressions App : Autism & Beyond App screens for autism by reading facial expressions of children for emotional cues.
*Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Disabled World. Electronic Publication Date: 2011-05-19. Title: VizWiz iPhone Application for Blind, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/assistivedevices/apps/vizwiz.php>VizWiz iPhone Application for Blind</a>. Retrieved 2021-04-18, from https://www.disabled-world.com/assistivedevices/apps/vizwiz.php - Reference: DW#468-7690.