VizWiz iPhone Application for Blind
Author: Disabled World
Synopsis and Key Points:
VizWiz is a project application aimed at enabling blind people to recruit remote sighted workers to help them with visual problems in nearly real-time.
Main DigestVizWiz: Nearly Realtime Answers to Visual Questions.
The lack of access to visual information like text labels, icons, and colors can cause frustration and decrease independence for blind people.
VizWiz is a project application aimed at enabling blind people to recruit remote sighted workers to help them with visual problems in nearly real-time. Users take a picture with their phone, speak a question, and then receive multiple spoken answers.
With the web as their eyes, the blind will able to read menus, identify canned foods, and tell whether that park has any free benches without having to walk over.
Google's Android platform and the Apple iPhone 3GS now include free screen readers. The iPhone has proven particularly popular among blind users, which motivated the developers to concentrate on it for VizWiz. Apple's stringent controls on the applications available on its online store and tighter integration of its screen reader (VoiceOver) with the operating system has resulted in a large number of accessible applications.
Touchscreen devices like the iPhone were once assumed to be inaccessible to blind users, but well-designed, multi-touch interfaces leverage the spatial layout of the screen and can even be preferred by blind people.
VizWiz, which is being tested by teams of blind volunteers, hasn't left the lab yet. But the volunteers are fans: it would be "very useful," one said (via New Scientist), "because I get so frustrated when I need sighted help and no one is there." Though an in-depth study on VizWiz was released last year, there's no word yet from the scientists on when this will hit the market.
For more information visit vizwiz.org and www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jbigham/papers/vizwizuist/vizwiz.pdf
- 1 - Apps for All Accessible and Universal Technology Ideathon : Apps para todos (2016/06/01)
- 2 - Google Glass Holli App Assists Social Interactions for Children with ASD : Frontiers (2017/09/16)
- 3 - Your Computer Can Help Find Potential COVID-19 Treatments : IBM (2020/04/29)
- 4 - Development of Smartphone App for Early Detection of Autism : University at Buffalo (2016/11/11)
- 5 - Serving the Under-served : Health for Everyone App : Health for Everyone (2020/04/30)
- 6 - Unitron Coach App Enables Users to Take Control of Hearing Health : Unitron (2020/02/28)
- 7 - IVH HIT App Provides Coronavirus (CoViD-19) Prevention and Safety Tips : iValueHealth (2020/02/27)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.