- Published: 2013-03-06 (Rev. 2015-10-29) - Contact: Ian Langtree at Disabled World
- Synopsis: Voice Dream Reader for mobile devices can load and extract text from many sources and file formats and is fully accessible with VoiceOver.
Definition: Screen Reader
A software application that attempts to identify and interpret what is being displayed on the screen. This interpretation is then re-presented to the user with text-to-speech, sound icons, or a Braille output device. Screen readers are a form of assistive technology (AT) potentially useful to people who are blind, visually impaired, illiterate or learning disabled, often in combination with other AT, such as screen magnifiers.
"Voice Dream has made a significant and positive difference in the education and daily lives of my students and clients, especially those with a print or learning disability, as well as those who are low vision. This is a MUST HAVE app for Students and Educators! - Diana Petschauer, ATP, Founder and CEO, Assistive Technology for Education."
Voice Dream Reader can load and extract text from many sources and file formats. After extraction, Voice Dream performs additional processing to optimize the text for text-to-speech. Ads on web pages are stripped out, page numbers go away and strange characters are removed, so you can focus on what matters: the content.
Listen to PDF and Word documents, eBooks, articles, and Web pages anywhere with offline text-to-speech. Built-in integration with Dropbox, Bookshare, Pocket, Instapaper, and Gutenberg makes it easy to import read material. Sophisticated controls, silky-smooth synchronized word highlighting and auto-scrolling puts you in charge of the listening experience. This app is fully accessible with VoiceOver.
Includes Heather, a fantastic female American English voice
Features 60 different voices in 20 languages from Acapela and NeoSpeech available through in-app purchase
English, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Finnish, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, Czech, Catalan, Polish, Turkish, Greek, and Arabic.
Loading and Managing Reading Material
- Text extraction from PDF files
- eBooks in DRM-free ePub format
- Plain text, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, Apple Pages, RTF and HTML files
- Dropbox integration
- Bookshare and Gutenberg integration
- Pocket and Instapaper integration
- Built-in Web Browser to extract text from Web pages
- Copy-paste via clipboard
- Text editor
- Language translation through in-app purchases
- Folders for organizing content
- Export full text to clipboard, printer, email, and other apps
- Export highlighted text
- Open the original Web page in Safari
Listening to Text
Voice Dream Reader Screenshot
- Play-Pause with remote control enabled
- Remembers where you stopped in each book or article
- Shows elapsed time and remaining time
- Sleep timer
- Previous and next book or article
- 30-second rewind and fast forward
- Full sentence rewind and fast forward
- Change reading speed on the fly. 50-500 words per minute
- Change voice on the fly
- Remembers the voice used for each item
- Continues reading when you lock the screen
Visual Interaction with Text
- Blazing fast vertical scrolling
- Synchronized word and line highlighting
- Full screen mode to hide the controls
- Focused Reading Mode with reduced text area and auto-scrolling
- Full-text search
- Table of content for ePub and DAISY books
- Sentence highlighting
- Customizable font and font size
- Includes Open-Dyslexia font
- Preset light and dark color theme, plus a fully customizable color theme
- Built-in dictionary
UPDATE: New features released on 5th June 2013 Include
Powerful New Controls for Speech
- Save speech rate for each article or book
- Adjust default speech rate, pitch and volume for each voice
- Personal pronunciation dictionary. Change how a word is pronounced or skip any text.
Configurable Text Navigation
- Option to scroll page by page for visual reading
- Footer to indicate page, percentage, chapter, and navigation unit
- Set rewind and fast forward navigation unit to sentence, paragraph, page, chapter, highlights, bookmarks, 15, 30, and 60 seconds
- New Chinese and Japanese voices from NeoSpeech
Other UI Improvements
- Option to turn off word or line highlighting
- Sort by Date, Title, Author and Size for each folder
- Two finger double-tap on the text to play or pause
- Save the last visual location in addition to the speech cursor
- This is a fantastic product and one of the best, if not the best, in the Text to Speech category of assistive technology products.
Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad. Requires iOS 5.0 or later. This app is also optimized for iPhone 5.
Available for download from the Apple iTunes store at: https://itunes.apple.com/app/voice-dream-reader-text-to/id496177674
For further information visit www.voicedream.com
- iPhone Apps for Disability and Vision Impairments - Reviews of iPhone Apps that can make your life easier including vision and hearing impairment applications for the blind and or deaf - (Published 2009-03-05).
- iSpeech App for iPhone, Android and BlackBerry - iSpeech Brings Speech Recognition and Human Quality Text To Speech to iOS Android and BlackBerry Apps - (Published 2011-08-09).
- Verbally - Free iPad App for Speech Disability - Verbally is a free communication aid for people with speech disabilities caused by apraxia ALS stroke traumatic brain injury Parkinsons cerebral palsy autism spectrum disorder or muscular dystrophy - (Published 2011-07-25).
- IVONA Text to Speech for Developers - IVONA Text to Speech is an award winning developer and provider of text-to-speech technology - (Published 2011-03-20).
- Computer Screen Readers for the Visually Impaired - A review of websites offering both commercial and free screen readers for the visually impaired - (Published 2009-02-17).