3dRudder: Foot Powered VR and Gaming Controller
Published : 2017-01-02 - Updated : 2020-11-24
Author : Disabled World - Contact: Disabled World (www.disabled-world.com)
Synopsis* : 3dRudder is a totally new way to move in virtual reality using a foot-powered movement controller for both PC gaming and VR. 3dRudder is an amazing accessibility device that emulates keyboard keys, a full mouse, or joystick at the feet, allowing people with disabilities to do new and more things with their computer. For gamers, designers, architects, and professionals who want to do more in their 360° environments, 3DRudder is the only product that makes VR movement easy - keeping your hands totally free.
The 3dRudder control unit is shaped like a disc, allowing you to move naturally while sitting to minimize fatigue and is hands-free. For gaming, as well as CAD design, 3dRudder lets your feet take you into total Virtual Reality (VR) immersion and move intuitively through any 3D space.
3dRudder is the first foot-powered movement controller specifically designed for Virtual Reality. Simply sit down, place your feet on the circular controller, and begin moving effortlessly through 3D environments along 4 axes of simultaneous movement : Right/left; front/back; rotate R/L and up/down with a tilt of your feet.
"The original idea came from Valerio Bonora, my business partner. Valerio is an architect by trade. For years he had this idea of being able to navigate digital models of buildings or products with his hands. We started to work early 2014 on a proof of concept with two other talented engineers and co-founders. And today we are shipping to the world our foot-powered VR and gaming motion controller, used while seated."
For gamers, designers, architects, and professionals who want to do more in their 360° environments, 3DRudder is the only product that makes VR movement easy - keeping your hands totally free. 3dRudder also works as a foot-operated 3D mouse for drones in the air and under water, and for CAD software and design.
Because the 3dRudder is designed to be used when seated and does not require hand operation, it is ideally suited for individuals with mobility and hand-grip issues. 3dRudder is highly responsive and comfortable to use.
The 3dRudder foot-powered game controller designed for Virtual Reality and gaming.
3dRudder - A Great Accessibility Device
The 3dRudder is a great accessibility device because it's accessible to all, not just the disabled. Beyond being a great game accessory, beyond offering the best way to move intuitively and naturally in VR, and beyond transforming the way to design and work in 3D, the 3dRudder is an amazing accessibility device. It readily emulates keyboard keys, a full mouse, or a joystick at the feet, allowing people with disabilities to do new and more things with their computer.
Although the 3dRudder was never originally conceived as an accessibility device, the creators conceived a peripheral offering intuitive and natural movement in a variety of settings that wouldn't cause fatigue and would work with existing games and applications running on Windows 10. VR and Gaming materialized quickly as the best playgrounds for the 3dRudder:
"We started to tour the world to show our device and its various interactions at business and consumer shows. On and on people would tell us : 'Amazing product! And it must be a great device for people with upper body disabilities.'"
"At those shows we met disabled people in need for a foot-powered input device. At the last Tokyo Game Show a man who had lost an arm came to us and said we had the tool he had been searching for and that he would finally be able to play World of Tanks with his son."
"We didn't work for the accessibility market. We work for everyone on the principle many things could also be achieved with the feet with the right device, freeing the hands to do more. But if you have no hands, or just one, or your 2 hands but have difficulties lifting a simple cup of coffee, then using the 3dRudder is a life-changing experience."
Specifications and FAQ's
3dRudder - The Original
- Connects/powers via USB connection
- Compatible with all Windows OSX PC gaming systems on Steam and other platforms, hand controllers and Oculus Rift® and HTC Vive® VR headsets.
- User-friendly client software (included) is easily installed to: 1) configure responsiveness, 2) assign specific behaviors, such as crawling or crouching, 3) adapt it to various applications and games in VR and other digital environments such as FPS to RPG game genres and virtual tourism.
- 3dRudder Wireless is the first Bluetooth-enabled foot-based motion controller for VR and gaming designed to be used while sitting.
- Connects via Bluetooth
- Compatible with all Windows OSX PC gaming systems on Steam and other platforms, Android mobile devices, hand controllers and Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, and Samsung Gear VR headsets.
- Automatically recognized by mobile devices as a game controller; no configuration necessary on a mobile device.
- Built-in rechargeable 5v battery - 12 hours min autonomy
- Compatible with all Windows OSX PC gaming systems, hand controllers and Oculus Rift®, HTC Vive®, and Samsung Gear® VR headsets.
- Length: 13.39" (round)
- Width 13.39" (round)
- Height 2.2"
- Weight: 3.9 pounds
- Maximum tilt: 20°
Coming to CES
3dRudder is the first wireless foot powered VR movement controller. The "VR Edition" controller has been named a CES 2017 Innovation Awards Honoree in the Gaming Hardware and Accessories category. The CES Innovation Awards is an annual competition honoring outstanding design and engineering in consumer technology products.
- January 3 - CES Unveiled
- January 4 - Discover Blue
- January 5 - 8 - Gaming and Virtual Reality Marketplace, LVCC South Hall 2, Booth 27018
3dRudder comes with Windows client software, enabling users to configure their 3dRudder dashboard for various moves and games in one click. Further information is available at 3dRudder.com
Update on the 3dRudder Foot Mouse
3dRudder Foot Mouse : The 3dRudder Foot Mouse is designed for people who are unable to use a standard mouse using hands, but still need the use of a mouse.
About the Author
Disabled World (Disabled-World.Com) is an independent disability community established in 2004 to provide disability news, assistive technology reviews, and disability sporting events, as well as general information for people with disabilities, seniors, their family and/or carers. Be sure to check out our homepage for informative reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also find us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
3dRudder: Foot Powered VR and Gaming Controller | Disabled World (Disabled World (www.disabled-world.com)). Disabled World makes no warranties or representations in connection therewith. Content may have been edited for style, clarity or length.
Related Electronics/Software Documents
- 1: Brain Computer Interface Allows Locked-In People to Communicate : Brain computer interface that deciphers thoughts of people unable to communicate could revolutionize lives of those with completely locked-in syndrome.
- 2: Hot Virtual Keyboard for Persons with Disabilities : Hot Virtual Keyboard for persons with disability speeds up screen typing by replacing Windows built-in On-Screen Keyboard.
- 3: Acapela TTS Voices for NVDA Screen Reader : Acapela TTS voices for NVDA enables blind and vision impaired people to use high quality and high performing voices with NVDA screen reader.
- 4: Launch of Web Portal on Accessible Workplace Technology : U.S. Department of Labor Office of Disability Employment Policy announces launch of PEATworks.org a comprehensive Web portal spearheaded by ODEPs Partnership on Employment and Accessible Technology.
- 5: Secure 3D QR Codes with No Internet Required : Article examines how QR codes can be a means to display 3D images and secure visual communication.
*Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Disabled World. Electronic Publication Date: 2017-01-02 - Revised: 2020-11-24. Title: 3dRudder: Foot Powered VR and Gaming Controller, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/assistivedevices/computer/3drudder.php>3dRudder: Foot Powered VR and Gaming Controller</a>. Retrieved 2021-04-18, from https://www.disabled-world.com/assistivedevices/computer/3drudder.php - Reference: DW#160-12589.