Something Happened Windows 10 Error Message Fix
Author: Disabled World : Contact: disabled-world.com
Published: 2015-08-02 : (Rev. 2018-04-30)
Synopsis and Key Points:
How to install windows 10 if you receive the something happened error message or Error Code 80240020.
Windows 10 has now been released as a free upgrade from genuine Windows 7 and 8.1 operating systems. However, many people are reporting a useless error message stating "Something Happened" while upgrading to Microsoft Windows 10.
Windows 10 is a personal computer operating system developed by Microsoft as part of the Windows NT family of operating systems. The main goal of Windows 10 is to unify the Windows operating system across multiple Microsoft product families, including PCs, tablets, smartphones, embedded systems, and Xbox One, as well as new products such as Surface Hub and HoloLens.
Something Happened Fix
- Run the Windows Media Creation Tool as "Administrator", by right clicking on the Media Creation Tool EXE file and select the "Run as Administrator" option.
If you still receive the Something Happened message then you will need to change the locale and language settings to English (United States).
Screenshot of Windows 10 Something Happened Error Message on Installation - Perhaps the most useless computer error message ever...
Here's How to Change Your Computer Language and Locale Settings:
- Open the Control Panel and click on "Region" icon. Or directly open it using intl.cpl command in "RUN" or "Start - Search box." This will open a new window containing the details of your current system locale and language settings.
- Next go to the "Administrative" tab and click on the "Change system locale" button. Select the "English (United States)" option from the drop-down box and then click on the OK button.
- Then click on the "Copy Settings" button and in the next window check both checkboxes that say "Welcome screen and system accounts" as well as "New user accounts" then click on the OK button.
- Your computer will prompt you to restart it
- Once your computer has booted up again, run the "Windows Media Creation Tool" as "Administrator", by right clicking your mouse button on the "Media Creation Tool EXE" file and select the "Run as Administrator" option.
Your computer should then start installing your free copy of Windows 10 - Enjoy!
(You can also view the short video clip below for these instructions)
How to Fix Windows 10 Error Code 80240020
This error message means the Windows 10 installation folder is unfinished and/or corrupted. Here is how to fix it:
- Go to "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
- Run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
- Go to Control Panel - Windows Update and Windows 10 should start re-downloading.
Windows 10 Accessibility
If you currently use Assistive Technologies (AT), like screen readers or magnifiers, your experience on Windows 10 will be similar in many ways to what you are accustomed to on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. In addition, Windows 10 introduces new features and applications. The Ease of Access tab is where you will find most of Windows 10 accessibility settings, such as higher contrast themes, voice narration, and closed caption options.
Windows 10 also offers several new programs and settings that can make your computer easier and more comfortable to use. Additional assistive technology products can be added to your computer if you need other accessibility features. For Microsoft Windows 10 accessibility features visit www.microsoft.com/enable/products/windows10/default.aspx
- 1 - VADIA Virtual Reality Simulator Helps Teenagers with Autism Learn How to Drive : Vanderbilt University (2016/07/26)
- 2 - Smyle Mouse for Hands-free Control via Face Gestures : Perceptive Devices, LLC (2016/10/18)
- 3 - List of Hotkeys and Keyboard Shortcuts : Disabled World (2009/02/17)
- 4 - List of Computer Screen Readers for Visually Impaired : Disabled World (2014/08/06)
- 5 - Change TV Channel Using Your Eyes with Xfinity X1 Eye Control : Comcast (2019/06/19)
- 6 - Brain Waves Write Directly to Computer : Mayo Clinic (2009/12/07)
- 7 - Connecting iPad iPhone or iPod to TV or Projector : Disabled World (2012/02/02)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.