Wheelchair & Scooter Accessories
Disabled World (disabled-world.com)
Revised/Updated: Wednesday, 25th February 2015
Synopsis and Key Points:
Information on accessories for manual or electric power wheelchairs and scooters to enhance the look and usefulness of your mobility aid.
Today for the mobility impaired there are hundreds of Wheelchair and Scooter accessories that will fit your lifestyle and budget perfectly.
Whether you are using a sports, electric power wheelchair, or manual chair you will be amazed at the huge variety of add ons available to enhance the look and usefulness of your mobility aid. Many wheelchair accessories give your wheelchair a touch of personality.
Various optional accessories for your chair include anti-tip bars or wheels, safety belts, adjustable backrests, tilt and/or recline features, extra support for limbs or neck, mounts or carrying devices for crutches, walkers or oxygen tanks, drink holders, clothing protectors, and many others.
One of the first wheelchair accessory you may want to consider is a small tote attached to the side of the chair. You can put magazines and books in it so they are always close at hand. A holder for glasses or bottles would be a valuable addition as well so you do not need to go to the kitchen every time you feel thirsty.
People with limited mobility can attach a cane holder to a wheelchair or power scooter, allowing them to easily carry their cane with them wherever they go, easily get in and out of the wheelchair, and access areas that wheelchairs cannot.
A good wheelchair seat cushion for your chair is too important to be considered a luxury item and you should find one that fits your requirements exactly. A good cushion can save you not only from pressure sores but also from the incorrect posture that can generate a variety of back and neck problems. If you have a neuromuscular disease, respiration, circulation and swallowing are also concerns that need to be addressed by correct posture, which means being supported by a good cushion.
By getting wheelchair umbrella you no longer have to worry about being cooped up in the house due to the weather. When shopping for a wheelchair umbrella, be sure to get one that opens up to 40 inches in diameter so it will provide adequate protection for sun use. Wheelchair umbrellas are not expensive at all especially when compared to the benefits they provide. A wheelchair umbrella costs between $17 and $30.
While wheelchair ramps and lifts are available in a wide variety, there are other kinds of wheelchair accessories to help you customize your wheelchair to your personal needs. They include such items as wheelchair restraints, used to secure your chair while you are traveling in a vehicle; wheelchair mounts to accommodate your laptop or other items; adjustable controls which can be either hand or voice-activated; and wheelchair locks or covers.
Other Wheelchair Accessories Provide Additional Comfort and Convenience
Wheelchairs provide independence and mobility, and, with the right wheelchair accessories, will maximize comfort, convenience, safety, and quality of life.
These items might include:
1. Mounting systems for communication devices and laptop computers
2. Restraint systems for securing your chair in order to transport it in a car or a van
3. Adjustable hand controls and driving controls
4. Support aids:
- to help in sitting upright
- to prevent slipping from side to side
- to support the head
- to elevate the legs
5. Wheelchair locks and covers
6. Protective pads for arms, elbows and legs, and gloves for the hands and cushions for the back
7. Voice activated wheelchair controls
Wheelchair accessories can make using a wheelchair easier and more convenient, and most items are available at a reasonable cost. These accessories can help you travel with everything you need to be mobile and independent.
Subtopics and Associated Subjects
- 1 - Seksi Spokes: Colored Covers for Wheelchair Spokes : Dr. Gene Emmer (2019/09/19)
- 2 - wheelAIR Innovative New Cooling Wheelchair Backrest Wins Support on Dragons Den : wheelAIR (2018/01/17)
- 3 - wheelAIR Cooling Backrest Cushion Poised to Revolutionise Mobility Industry : wheelAIR (2017/11/10)
- 4 - SoftWheel for Wheelchairs Provide Much Smoother Ride : SoftWheel (2016/03/22)
- 5 - In His Service Tray for Wheelchairs, Chairs or Walkers : In His Service (2016/03/03)
- 6 - Softwheel Wheelchair Wheels Available in U.S. : Softwheel (2016/01/08)
- 7 - PILIUS Raincoat for Wheelchair Users : PILIUS (2015/12/17)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.