Standing Wheelchairs: Information & Reviews
Disabled World (disabled-world.com)
Revised/Updated: Sunday, 10th January 2016
Synopsis and Key Points:
Reviews and information on types and functions of standing wheelchairs.
A standing wheelchair is a type of assistive technology, similar to a standing frame, that allows a wheelchair user to raise the chair from a seated to a standing position. The standing wheelchair supports the person in an upright or standing position and enables interaction with people and objects at eye level.
A standing wheelchair (also known as a standing chair) is assistive technology, similar to a standing frame, that allows a wheelchair user to raise the chair from a seated to a standing position. The standing wheelchair supports the person in a standing position and enables interaction with people and objects at eye level.
Standing wheelchairs are used by people with either paraplegia or quadriplegia as a variety of different standing options are available to accommodate persons with mild to severe disabilities including: spinal cord injury, spina bifida, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, stroke, rett syndrome, traumatic brain injury, cerebral palsy, post-polio syndrome and more.
Standing chairs are typically used for environmental access and pressure relief. You can control the speed of the chair through the easy to access joy-stick controller, which is positioned perfectly within reach of any type of user. You can easily adjust the length of the arms in order to better suit your needs.
Standing wheelchairs can be either manually or power-operated, and are used both to achieve regular mobility and to stand the person up using hydraulics or other power sources.
Some standing wheelchairs may be driven from the standing position, however there is some medical concern of an increased risk of long bone fractures while driving due to the legs being under a heavy load.
Types of standing wheelchairs include:
- Manual - Chair mobility and lifting mechanisms are not powered.
- Half-power - Chair features powered mobility but manual lifting mechanisms.
- Full-power - Chair features powered mobility and hydraulic or otherwise powered lifting mechanisms.
Standing wheelchairs from Karman Healthcare feature state of the art technology that can help change your life. Featuring an easy to access joy-stick controller that allows you to fully control the movement of the chair. It also features a stand up mode, which allows you to drive the chair while in a standing position.
It is possible Medicare or your countries similar Government agency may help fund some of the cost of a standing wheelchair. In the U.S. Medicaid funding varies from state-to-state, check with your local Medicare office for assistance and further information. Most states have resources such as PAAT (Protection Advocacy for Assistive Technology) and State Technology Assistance Projects that are resources for consumers seeking funding or going through the appeals process.
In addition today insurance companies, vocational rehabilitation organizations, and medical case managers are increasingly funding standing wheelchairs because of the long-term health and quality of life benefits that come from passive standing.
Currently, manual wheelchairs provide the user with mobility in a seated position; however, there are many compelling reasons for enabling wheelchair users to stand.
The functional benefits of standing include:
- A raised and enlarged workspace.
- Being able to stand may thus increase independence and enhance employment and leisure opportunities.
- Standing wheelchair users find they have more energy, enhanced functional ability, and greater independence.
- Allowing easy use of kitchen counters and appliances and access to overhead cabinets or grocery store shelves.
- From a physical wellness perspective, RESNA reports that more frequent standing can help maintain organ capacity, as well as reduce the occurrence of urinary tract infections and pressure sores.
Subtopics and Associated Subjects
- 1 - Custom Wheelchairs: Functionality to Individuality : RehaDesign (2009/02/01)
Standing Wheelchairs: Full Document List
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.