Newspaper Service for the Blind Offers Over 300 Newspapers
Author: National Federation of the Blind
Published: 2009-10-12 : (Rev. 2010-07-13)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Electronic newspaper service for blind and print-disabled Americans gives subscribers independent access to over 300 newspapers and magazines.
Main DigestThe National Federation of the Blind announced today that NFB-NEWSLINE, the largest electronic newspaper service in the world for blind and print-disabled Americans, now gives subscribers independent access to over three hundred newspapers and magazines.
This free service allows those who cannot read conventional newsprint due to a physical disability to listen to the newspaper over the telephone, on the web, or by download to a digital talking-book player. With the addition of national news-magazines like Time and interest-specific magazines like Science News to its roster of national and local publications, NFB-NEWSLINE continues to cater to the increasingly divergent interests of its subscribers.
Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said: "NFB-NEWSLINE is truly a testament to our belief in the importance of offering print-disabled individuals access to the same vital information that is available to our sighted peers. NFB-NEWSLINE offers subscribers freedom of choice, and now that over three hundred publications are available on the service, we have more choice than ever."
Nijat Worley, a college student from Colorado, said: "I can't tell you how much I enjoy being able to easily access so many newspapers and magazines! All I need to do is pick up a phone or open a Web page and I can choose to read from hundreds of publications including my hometown newspaper or the New York Times, my favorite national newspaper. As a sophomore with a double major in Political Science and International Affairs, the variety of news sources offered by NFB-NEWSLINE really helps me find material for my coursework. Since it's available any time, day or night, I can read the news in accordance with my busy schedule."
NFB-NEWSLINE, which began operation in 1995, offers TV listings in addition to newspapers and magazines to over 69,000 subscribers through several delivery methods: a standard touch-tone telephone, a secure, text-only Web site, or by download to a digital talking-book player.
To experience the variety of choice offered with NFB-NEWSLINE, please visit www.nfbnewslineonline.org For further information, please e-mail Scott White at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (866) 504-7300.
About the National Federation of the Blind
With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is the largest and most influential membership organization of blind people in the United States. The NFB improves blind people's lives through advocacy, education, research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and self-confidence. It is the leading force in the blindness field today and the voice of the nation's blind. In January 2004 the NFB opened the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.
- 1: Seeing Sound: Device Using Auditory Signals Helps Blind See : California Institute of Technology (2015/10/27)
- 2: Electronic Eye Cane Enhances Mobility for Blind : IOSPress_STM (2014/10/20)
- 3: X1 Talks: TV Voice Remote Control for Blind and Visually Impaired : Comcast Corporation (2014/11/12)
- 4: Sonar Technology Aids People with Vision Disabilities : Disabled World (2015/01/23)
- 5: Hearing Impaired Clocks and Vibrating Watches : Disabled World (2009/01/17)
- 6: Bradley Timepiece: Watch for Vision Impaired : Disabled World (2015/03/24)
- 7: Talking Scientific Calculator for Blind Students : Texas Instruments (2015/09/05)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.