Calorie Calculator: Count and Calculate Calories Burned
- Publish Date: 2017/12/03 - (Rev. 2018/11/06)
- Author: Disabled World
- Contact : www.disabled-world.com
Outline: What are calories and how to count them in various food groups includes daily protein and calories burned when performing different activities.
A Calorie is a unit of energy that measures how much energy food provides to the body. The body needs calories to function properly. The amount of Calories in food gives you energy, protein, carbohydrate, nutrients and fat to fuel your body. When you eat food, your body turns the food into fuel, burning it to produce calories (energy).
The calories in your food come from sources such as carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. For example, a gram of carbohydrate contains 4 calories. A gram of protein also contains 4 calories, where as a gram of fat contains 9 calories, which is more than twice the amount of carbohydrates and protein. This is why a food with the same size serving may have far more calories.
Kilojoules and Calories Calculations
We normally refer to kilocalories as Calories, so when you see 800 calories on a food label it actually means 800 kilocalories, and the same applies when you calculate an activity that burns 800 calories. When referring to food consumption and energy expenditure we refer to them in multiples of 1,000. Thus 1,000 calories = 1 kilocalorie or kcal.
A calorie is the amount of energy (or heat) needed to increase the temperature of one gram of water by 1C. So 1000 calories = 1 kilocalorie, is the energy it takes to raise the temperature of 1kg of water by 1 degree Celsius.
There are 239 calories in 1 kilojoule - A joule is a 1 unit of electrical energy it takes to equal the current of 1 ampere passed through a resistance of 1 ohm for one second. 1,000 joules = 1 kilojoules or kJ. One calorie has the same energy value as 4.186 kilojoules. It takes 3,500 calories to equal one pound of body weight. 1 calorie = 4.2 joules so 1 kilocalorie = 4.2 kilojoules.
The energy value per GRAM of various food components includes:
- Water = 0kJ (0 Cal)
- Protein = 17kJ (4 Cal)
- Dietary fibre = 13kJ (3 Cal)
- Fat = 37kJ (9 Cal)
- Alcohol = 29kJ (7 Cal)
- Carbohydrates = 16kJ (4 Cal)
- 1 - Human Laterality Information and Right or Left Hand Test | Disabled World (2020/02/04)
- 2 - Fitzpatrick Scale Skin Type Test and Result Information | Disabled World (2020/01/17)
- 3 - List of ISO World Country Codes | Disabled World (2018/04/30)
- 4 - Keno and Lottery Number Combinations Permutation Calculator | Disabled World (2018/02/22)
- 5 - Pain Scale Chart: 1 to 10 Levels | Disabled World (2016/05/20)