Neck Size: Measurement Chart and Health Information
Author: Disabled World : Contact: www.disabled-world.com
Published: 2019-06-14 : (Rev. 2019-11-05)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Information on how to measure human neck size. Includes collar sizes measurement chart in inches and centimeters, and possible health implications relating to larger neck sizes.
Most adult male neck sizes range between 14 - 19 inches (35.5 - 48.3 cm), with the average neck circumference being around 15 inches.
Like excess stomach fat, having a larger neck size is not good for your health.
The neck contains blood vessels and nerves that supply structures in the head to the body including part of the esophagus, the larynx, trachea, and thyroid gland, major blood vessels such as carotid arteries, jugular veins, and upper part of the spinal cord. In humans the neck is defined as the part of the body that separates the head from the torso. Sensation to the front areas of the neck comes from the roots of nerves C2 - C4, and at the back of the neck from the roots of C4 - C5.
How to Measure Neck Size
Place the measuring tape around the neck at the height where the collar would normally rest - just below your Adam's apple. Do not crane your neck out or squeeze your chin down. The tape should be resting lightly on the skin, not squeezing it.
Hold one finger under the tape measure to ensure some room for comfort. Don't pull too tightly so as to create unnecessary tension, just enough so that you are getting a true measurement. Make sure the tape is level and not being held at an angle.
If you measure your neck without a finger under the tape, then the dress shirt size should be 1/2 an inch larger. For example: if your neck measurement is 15" or 38 cm - then your dress shirt size should be 15½ inches or 39.5 cm.
- If you don't have a measuring tape on hand, simply use a piece of ribbon or string and line it up against a ruler or yardstick.
- To measure an actual shirt collar that fits you and feels comfortable around the neck simply lay the shirt down on a flat service and measure from the center of the top collar button to the far end of the top collar buttonhole.
|Neck Size Measurement Chart|
Each clothing brand has different ideas on the proper sizing - which means each brand will fit a little different from the next one. Male and Female Clothing Size Conversion Charts - Clothing conversion tables showing difference in American, Chinese, Canadian, European, UK, Australian, Italian and Japanese shoe and clothing sizes.
Link Between Neck Size and Your Health
Yellow measuring tape.
Most adult male neck sizes range between 14 to 19 inches (35.5 - 48.3 cm's), with the average adult male neck circumference being around 15 inches.
Like excess stomach fat, a large neck size is not good for your health. A recent study from Brazil showed that people with larger necks, especially males, may be at higher risk for heart disease. The study analyzing nearly 4,000 men, researchers determined that the average adult male neck circumference is about 15". However, for every 1" increase in neck circumference males were :
- 50% more likely to have high triglycerides.
- 32% more likely to have insulin resistance.
- 24% more likely to have raised blood pressure.
- 22% more likely to have low HDL, or good cholesterol.
According to study author Cristina Baena, Ph.D., fat deposits around your neck can produce inflammatory substances that lead to plaque buildup in the carotid arteries in your neck, which hampers your heart health. Note, men with thicker necks due to strong, developed trap muscles are not as likely to face the same risk factors.
In addition people with large neck sizes are vulnerable to sleep apnea as they have a more constricted airway, thus making it difficult for air to pass in and out of the lungs.
- Adaptive Clothing - Information on ease of use adaptive clothing designed for people with disabilities, seniors, and mobility challenged, includes definitions and glossary of terms relating to adapted clothes.
Handy Printable Neck Measurements Chart
Printable neck size chart.
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4766356/ - Neck Circumference May Be a Better Alternative to Standard Anthropometric Measures.
- 1: Human Body Temperature: Fever, Normal, Low Readings : Disabled World (2016/01/05)
- 2: Personal Disability Quotient (PDQ) Calculator : The Council for Disability Awareness (2011/01/20)
- 3: Growth Percentile Calculator for Children : Disabled World (2011/02/07)
- 4: 0 to 36 Months Infant Growth Percentile Calculator : Disabled World (2011/02/07)
- 5: Ischemic Stroke Predictive Risk Calculator : St. Michael's Hospital (2011/02/10)
- 6: Life Insurance Calculator: Calculate Amount You Should be Insured For : Disabled World (2011/04/24)
- 7: Ring Size Chart for Engagement, Wedding, Costume Rings : Disabled World (2019/12/19)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.