Wedding Anniversary Names by Years Married
Published: 2011-06-27 - Updated: 2021-12-05
Author: Disabled World | Contact: Disabled World (www.disabled-world.com)
Synopsis: List of wedding anniversaries by year including names of materials, symbols and flowers associated with the time married anniversary. In the British Commonwealth domains you may receive a message from the monarch for your 60th, 65th, and 70th wedding anniversaries, and any wedding anniversary after that. In the United States, one can receive a greeting from the President for any wedding anniversary on or after the 50th.
What is a Wedding Anniversary?
A wedding anniversary is the anniversary of the date a wedding took place. Traditional names exist for some of them: for instance, 50 years of marriage is called a "golden wedding anniversary" or simply a "golden anniversary" or "golden wedding". On a wedding anniversary in many countries it is considered traditional to give a gift to your partner (or couples) that symbolize the number of years of marriage.
The names of some wedding anniversaries provide guidance for appropriate or traditional gifts for the spouses to give each other; if there is a party to celebrate the wedding anniversary these gifts can be brought by the guests and/or influence the theme or decoration of the venue. however please note, lists of some wedding anniversary gifts can vary according to country. Wedding anniversary names common to most nations include:
Wooden (5th), Tin (10th), Crystal (15th), China (20th), Silver (25th), Pearl (30th), Ruby (40th), Golden (50th), and Diamond (60th).
Two plain gold wedding - or engagement - rings entwined together.
Wedding Anniversary Facts:
- The celebration of wedding anniversaries dates back to Roman times when husbands gave their wives a silver wreath for 25 years of marriage, and a gold wreath for 50.
- Today there are traditional and modern materials related to each wedding anniversary, usually progressing from the weakest to the strongest as the years go by, to symbolize the strengthening of the relationship.
- In the United States, one can receive a greeting from the President for any wedding anniversary on or after the 50th.
- In the British Commonwealth domains you may receive a message from the monarch for your 60th, 65th, and 70th wedding anniversaries, and any wedding anniversary after that by applying to Buckingham Palace in the U.K., or to the Governor-General's office in the other Commonwealth realms. An exception being Australia and Canada. The delivery of congratulatory messages marking 100th birthdays and 60th wedding anniversaries is arranged by the Anniversaries Office at Buckingham Palace.
- In Canada you may also receive a message from the Governor General for the 50th anniversary, and every 5th anniversary after that.
- In Australia may receive a letter of congratulations from the Governor General on the 50th and all subsequent wedding anniversaries; the Prime Minister, the federal Opposition leader, local members of parliament (both state and federal), and state Governors may also send salutations for the same anniversaries.
- Roman Catholics may apply for a Papal blessing through their local diocese for wedding anniversaries of a special nature such as their 25th, 50th, 60th, etc. anniversaries.
Listed below is a list of wedding anniversaries by year that includes materials, symbols, and flowers associated with the occasion.
Wedding Anniversary List
|Wedding Anniversary Gifts List|
|2nd||Cotton||Cotton||China||Lily of the valley|
|4th||Linen, silk||Fruit and flowers||Appliances (electrical)||Hydrangea|
|7th||Wool, copper||Woolen||Desk sets
pen and pencil sets
|9th||Pottery||Pottery||Leather goods||Bird of paradise|
|10th||Tin, Aluminum||Tin||Diamond jewelry||Daffodil|
|12th||Silk||Silk and fine linen||Pearls
|75th||Diamond, gold||-||Diamond, gold||-|
Ring Size Chart for Engagement, Wedding, Costume Rings : Sizing measurement chart for engagement, wedding and costume design finger ring sizes.
Disabled World is an independent disability community established in 2004 to provide disability news and information to people with disabilities, seniors, their family and/or carers. See our homepage for informative news, reviews, sports, stories and how-tos. You can also connect with us on Twitter and Facebook or learn more about Disabled World on our about us page.
Disabled World provides general information only. The materials presented are never meant to substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Financial support is derived from advertisements or referral programs, where indicated. Any 3rd party offering or advertising does not constitute an endorsement.
Cite This Page (APA): Disabled World. (2011, June 27). Wedding Anniversary Names by Years Married. Disabled World. Retrieved June 26, 2022 from www.disabled-world.com/calculators-charts/weddings.php
• Permalink: <a href="https://www.disabled-world.com/calculators-charts/weddings.php">Wedding Anniversary Names by Years Married</a>