- Published: 2010-12-26 (Rev. 2016-10-16) - Contact: Ian Langtree at Disabled World
- Synopsis: Our Weight Loss Planning Calculator helps you to establish realistic time-lines for your weight loss goals.
Definition: Weight loss
Weight loss, in the context of medicine, health, or physical fitness, is defined as a reduction of the total body mass, due to a mean loss of fluid, body fat or adipose tissue and/or lean mass, namely bone mineral deposits, muscle, tendon, and other connective tissue. Intentional weight loss is the loss of total body mass as a result of efforts to improve fitness and health, or to change appearance through slimming.
"Did you know you need to burn around 3500 calories to lose one pound of weight."
In a hurry to lose weight within a certain time period for a wedding or special occasion? The calculator below will estimate your daily calorie requirements for losing, maintaining, or even gaining weight within a set time frame.
First, do you know what your ideal height to weight ratio is?
Maybe it would be an idea to do a quick check, you may already be an ideal weight. We have a chart for kids to teenagers (Opens new window), and a separate chart for adults (Opens new window). At the very least, the charts will give you an idea of what your target weight should be.
To use the calculator below enter your details including the desired amount of weight you wish to lose and the time-frame (in days) in which you would like to lose that excess weight - (You can also use the calculator to plan weight gain.) For your convenience the calculator converts pounds to kilos, inches to centimeters, and vice versa. Or you can convert between Pounds Kilograms and Stones.
Awareness: Healthy Weight Month Awareness
The color of the obesity, including childhood obesity, awareness ribbon is yellow. The month of September is National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month - President Barack Obama proclaimed September as National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month, encouraging Americans to help our youth lead more physically active lifestyles and make healthier food choices. Childhood obesity has increased more than fourfold among those ages 6 to 11. More than 23 million children and teenagers in the United States ages 2 to 19 are obese or overweight.
The month of January is Healthy Weight Month - Physical activity is proven to help with achieving and maintaining a healthy weight. The key to achieving and maintaining a healthy weight isn't about short-term dietary changes. It's about a lifestyle that includes healthy eating, regular physical activity, and balancing the number of calories you consume with the number of calories your body uses.
Facts: Importance of Fitness & Weight Loss Tips
Need to target fat in certain body areas? Daniel Murray has provided Disabled World with an excellent article containing useful advice and information on how to lose fat fast, you can read his article here.
Weight loss is defined as a reduction of the total body mass, due to a mean loss of fluid, body fat or adipose tissue and/or lean mass, namely bone mineral deposits, muscle, tendon and other connective tissue. It can occur unintentionally due to an underlying disease or can arise from a conscious effort to improve an actual or perceived overweight or obese state.
People of all ages who are generally inactive can improve their health and well-being by becoming active with moderate intensity on a regular basis.
Your Weight Loss Plan Should Include:
- Balanced diet intake
- Post dieting weight maintenance
- Set realistic goals for weight reduction
- You need to burn around 3500 calories to lose one pound of weight
- After you have reduced your weight by 10%, try to maintain it for about six months through exercise and diet.
- You should try to lose around 5 to 10% of your current body weight, one to two pounds per week or try to reduce your calorie intake by 500 - 1,000 calories a day.
- Note: Low and Very low Calorie diets (below 1,400 calories) per day (Very-Low Calorie Diets) should not be attempted without consulting professional health and nutrition experts.
The following are some of the identified benefits of a regular exercise program:
- Reduced risk of some cancers: Physical activity reduces the risk of colon cancer and breast cancer.
- Improve your mental health and mood: Aerobic and strengthening exercises for 30-60 minutes 3 to 5 times per week can assist in thinking, learning, and judgment skills.
- Reduced risk of Type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome: A minimum of 120 to 150 minutes per week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity will lower rates of Type 2 Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome.
- Strengthened bones and muscles: A minimum of 120 to 300 minutes per week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity that includes muscle-strengthening and weight bearing activities can help in preventing bone density loss.
- Reduced risk for cardiovascular disease: Heart disease and stroke are the two leading causes of death in the United States. To reduce risk for this disease, a minimum of 150 minutes/week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity is required.
- Control Weight: Physical activity and diet are two important components in controlling your weight. To maintain weight, 150 minutes of moderated-intensity aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity is required per week.
- Increase your chances of living longer: People who are physically active for about 7 hours a week have a 40 percent lower risk of dying than those who are active for less than 30 minutes a week. A minimum of 150 minutes a week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity is required to reduce this risk.
- How to Count and Calculate Calories - What are calories and how to count them in various food groups - includes daily protein and calorie needs counter.
- Body Mass Index Calculator - BMI - Your body mass index measurement combined with your Waist Circumference measurement can be used to determine obesity and the increased risk for various diseases.
- Body Fat Percentage Calculator for Men and Women - Information regarding calculating body fat percentage for males and females - includes body fat calculator and formula.
- How to Lose Body Fat Fast: Targeted Weight Loss Solutions - From head to toe Daniel Murray takes us through a number of ways and exercises that assist in losing fat in various parts of the body - Daniel Murray
- Getting Rid of Flabby Loose Skin After Weight Loss - Information to help you rid your body of sagging loose skin often aquired after sudden or major weightloss and dieting - Ian Langtree