Disability Media: Films, TV, Radio and Documentaries
Disabled World (disabled-world.com)
Revised/Updated: Tuesday, 11th September 2018
Synopsis and Key Points:
News, reviews and coverage of disability disability in the media including videos, films, movies, radio and TV broadcasts.
This section of the Disabled World Communications category covers reviews and listing of both offline and online disability broadcasts including movies, radio, TV stations and Internet podcasts.
The depiction of disability in the media plays a major role in molding the public perception of disability. Stereotypical depictions of disability that originate in the arts, film, literature, television, and other mass media fiction works, are frequently normalized through repetition to the general audience. Perceptions portrayed in the media directly influence the way people with disabilities are treated in current society. Media platforms have been cited as a key site for the reinforcement of negative images and ideas in regard to people with disabilities.
Disability radio stations mainly present information and entertainment primarily of interest to people with a disability or medical condition. Programs listed provide disability news and information services, as well as general day-today disability issues of interest to persons with disabilities, their families, caregivers, and friends.
Disability podcasts are a series of digital media files, either audio or video, that are released episodically and often downloaded through web syndication, podcasts often include audio recordings and short-subject literary works from reputable mainstream periodicals and independent writers, providing a mixture of interesting and educational material for persons with a disability.
The famous white Hollywood sign on the Hollywood Hills, California
Some of the topics covered by disability broadcasting stations include:
- Disability information and News
- Music by recording artists with disabilities
- Independent living advice and information
- Phone-in and talk-back radio programs
- Radio and Television broadcasts of disability sporting events and competitions.
Today Radio and Television media outlets play an increasing role in forging a cultural identity and a sense of community among people with disabilities around the world, regardless of the nature and the extent of their disability.
Attention should be drawn to the image of disability in the media with a view to an accurate and balanced portrayal of disability as a part of everyday life. The media can play an important role in presenting disability issues in a way that could dispel negative stereotypes and promote the rights and dignity of persons with disabilities.
Subtopics and Associated Subjects
- 1 - Autism ABCs and Fix it in Five: Free from The Brain Broad for April and Beyond : Dr. Lynette Louise (The Brain Broad) (2020/04/09)
- 2 - Harder Than You Think - Paralympic Games Documentary Film : Craig Spence, IPC Chief Marketing and Communications Officer (2019/08/26)
- 3 - Take a Look at This Heart | Love and Sexuality in the Disabled Community : Sarah Hess (2018/12/23)
- 4 - Director Olivier Bernier to Make Film About Inclusive Education Search for Son : Skye Redman (2018/09/26)
- 5 - I Am Not, 'Seizure Boy,' Netflix : Thomas C. Weiss (2018/09/11)
- 6 - Australian Film Telling Story of Children with Disabilities in Mainstream Education : Skye Redman (2018/09/09)
- 7 - Angels of Mercy Film Stars Quadriplegic Actor But Needs Your Help : www.facebook.com/angelsxofxmercy/ (2018/04/07)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.