Disability Media: Films, TV, Radio and Documentaries
Disabled World: Revised/Updated: 2018/09/11
Synopsis: News, reviews and coverage of disability disability in the media including videos, films, movies, radio and TV broadcasts.
This section of the Disabled World Communications category covers reviews and listing of both offline and online disability broadcasts including movies, radio, TV stations and Internet podcasts.
The depiction of disability in the media plays a major role in molding the public perception of disability. Stereotypical depictions of disability that originate in the arts, film, literature, television, and other mass media fiction works, are frequently normalized through repetition to the general audience. Perceptions portrayed in the media directly influence the way people with disabilities are treated in current society. Media platforms have been cited as a key site for the reinforcement of negative images and ideas in regard to people with disabilities.
Disability radio stations mainly present information and entertainment primarily of interest to people with a disability or medical condition. Programs listed provide disability news and information services, as well as general day-today disability issues of interest to persons with disabilities, their families, caregivers, and friends.
Disability podcasts are a series of digital media files, either audio or video, that are released episodically and often downloaded through web syndication, podcasts often include audio recordings and short-subject literary works from reputable mainstream periodicals and independent writers, providing a mixture of interesting and educational material for persons with a disability.
The famous white Hollywood sign on the Hollywood Hills, California
Some of the topics covered by disability broadcasting stations include:
- Disability information and News
- Music by recording artists with disabilities
- Independent living advice and information
- Phone-in and talk-back radio programs
- Radio and Television broadcasts of disability sporting events and competitions.
Today Radio and Television media outlets play an increasing role in forging a cultural identity and a sense of community among people with disabilities around the world, regardless of the nature and the extent of their disability.
Attention should be drawn to the image of disability in the media with a view to an accurate and balanced portrayal of disability as a part of everyday life. The media can play an important role in presenting disability issues in a way that could dispel negative stereotypes and promote the rights and dignity of persons with disabilities.
Associated Sub-Topics and Pertinent Documents
Suggested Related Articles
- 1 - Harder Than You Think - Paralympic Games Documentary Film - Craig Spence, IPC Chief Marketing and Communications Officer - (2019/08/26).
- 2 - Take a Look at This Heart - Love and Sexuality in the Disabled Community - Sarah Hess - (2018/12/23).
- 3 - Director Olivier Bernier to Make Film About Inclusive Education Search for Son - Skye Redman - (2018/09/26).
- 4 - I Am Not, 'Seizure Boy,' Netflix - Thomas C. Weiss - (2018/09/11).
- 5 - Australian Film Telling Story of Children with Disabilities in Mainstream Education - Skye Redman - (2018/09/09).
- 6 - Angels of Mercy Film Stars Quadriplegic Actor But Needs Your Help - www.facebook.com/angelsxofxmercy/ - (2018/04/07).
- 👉 For further related information see our full list of Films, Radio, TV Documents - (70 Fact Sheets).