From Silence to Sound - Deaf Man Hears for First Time
Author: Brooklyn Girl Productions(i)
Published: 2011-03-16 : (Rev. 2019-05-03)
Synopsis and Key Points:
A deaf man takes a chance on a risky surgery in hopes of hearing for the first time in his life.
Deaf Man Hears for First Time on BIGSTAR - A deaf man takes a chance on a risky surgery in hopes of hearing for the first time in his life. The award-winning documentary film FROM SILENCE TO SOUND (WINNER--Best Inspirational Documentary, New York International Independent Film & Video Festival), from Brooklyn Girl Productions, is now available on BIGSTAR (www.bigstar.tv).
FROM SILENCE TO SOUND is an extraordinary film that documents the quintessential life-changing moment of Justin Garrett, a man who has been profoundly deaf since birth, making history as the first recipient of a bilateral, or double, cochlear implant in Oklahoma.
Prior to the surgery, Justin had less than two percent hearing in both ears. Today he has nearly ninety-eight percent hearing, thanks to the miracles of modern medical technology delivered via his Nucleus® cochlear implants made by industry leader Cochlear .
BIGSTAR, the social discovery and demand platform , provides an outlet for global audiences to get personalized movie recommendations from friends and watch titles instantly through a variety of Internet-connected devices.
The BIGSTAR "Movies You Demand" App is available on iPhone, iPad, Android, Palm WebOS, Roku, PopBox, Yahoo! Widgets, and Vizio TV sets, with more compatible devices coming soon.
Director Chase Matthews offers this moving documentary about Justin Garrett, a completely deaf young man who agreed to undergo radical cochlear implant surgery that could possibly make him hear for the first time.
Matthews follows Justin as he prepares for, submits to and recovers from the high-stakes surgery. Success will reverse Justin's condition, but failure will irrevocably destine him to a lifetime of total silence.
- WINNER--Best Inspirational Documentary (New York International Independent Film & Video Festival)
- WINNER--Best North American Documentary (International Film Festival Egypt)
- WINNER--Best Documentary USA (Everglades International Film Festival)
- BEST DOCUMENTARY nominee (Trail Dance Film Festival)
- BEST DOCUMENTARY nominee (International Film Festival South Africa)
- "Incredible film." - ABC / KTUL
- "... An intimate and powerful portrait of courage ..." - Adrian Belic / ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE
- "... A miraculous movie ... a quintessential life-changing moment." - Mike Gallagher / THE MIKE GALLAGHER SHOW
- "... Spellbinding ... the ultimate story of beating the odds ..." - Camryn Manheim / EMMY AWARD WINNER & GOLDEN GLOBE AWARD WINNER
- More information is available at www.fromsilencetosound.com
Brooklyn Girl Productions
Brooklyn Girl Productions is a knockout production company.
We produce films, commercials and multimedia with high production value, a sense of humor, and a smile.
Our mission is to entertain and empower people through our various artistic endeavors, while creating a positive environment both on and off the set.
To reduce the impact of our productions on the earth, we are committed to a green philosophy from start to finish on each and every project. We love what we do, why wouldn't we?
(i)Source/Reference: Brooklyn Girl Productions. Disabled World makes no warranties or representations in connection therewith. Content may have been edited for style, clarity or length.
- 1 - The Flying Stars: Amputee Soccer Team Film : The Flying Stars (2016/08/25)
- 2 - BFI Funds Accessible Workshops for Deafblind Filmmakers : Sense (2016/08/28)
- 3 - Take a Look at This Heart | Love and Sexuality in the Disabled Community : Sarah Hess (2018/12/23)
- 4 - Autism ABCs and Fix it in Five: Free from The Brain Broad for April and Beyond : Dr. Lynette Louise (The Brain Broad) (2020/04/09)
- 5 - Dylan Rothbein Announces Crowdfunding Campaign for Society's Child : Angela Mitchell (2017/12/18)
- 6 - First Blind Dates : Did Sparks Fly or Does Cupid Need to Work on His Archery Skills? : Guide Dogs Association for the Blind (2017/09/07)
- 7 - Videocamp Launches $400,000 Fund and Challenges Filmmakers to Create a Film About Inclusive Education : Sarah Jane Rumford (2018/03/21)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.