Online Social Networking Community for Amputees
Author: Hanger Orthopedic Group
Synopsis and Key Points:
Online social networking community for amputees and persons affected by limb loss.
Main DigestHanger Orthopedic Group Launches Online Social Networking Community for Amputees, www.EmpoweringAmputees.org
Hanger Orthopedic Group (NYSE: HGR) announced the launch of www.EmpoweringAmputees.org, an online social networking community created specifically for amputees and others affected by limb loss. Designed to serve as the online extension of Hanger's nationwide peer-to-peer support network called the Amputee Empowerment Partners (AEP), EmpoweringAmputees.org is a free resource for individuals around the world to connect and discuss topics related to the life of amputees.
"As the industry leader in orthotics and prosthetics patient care, it is Hanger's responsibility to provide our profession and the amputee community with the most advanced resources available," Hanger President and CEO Tom Kirk said. "We recognize that the way people communicate is rapidly evolving. EmpoweringAmputees.org addresses this evolution and provides a secure environment for valuable discussion among those affected by limb loss. We anticipate EmpoweringAmputees.org will become the primary social networking site for amputees."
Built on the established Ning (www.ning.com) platform, the EmpoweringAmputees.org community is intended to provide a safe place for amputees, family members, caregivers, and medical professionals to share personal stories, educational information, community events, photographs and videos, and to ask questions and start discussions with others affected by limb loss or congenital limb deficiency.
"Every time a connection is made between people who really understand what the other is going through, we become stronger, wiser, more aware and more empowered," AEP National Coordinator Carrie Davis said. "As someone born with a limb deficiency, it's my opinion that our hands and feet are just bonuses; if they're lost to an injury, disease, or if they were never there at all, we can rise to the challenge and reinvent ourselves according to who we are - not what we're missing. EmpoweringAmputees.org provides a place where people can glean inspiration and knowledge from people who really get it."
About Hanger - Hanger Orthopedic Group, Inc., headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland, is the world's premier provider of orthotic and prosthetic patient care services. Hanger is the market leader in the United States, owning and operating 677 patient care centers in 45 states and the District of Columbia, with over 3,700 employees including 1,127 practitioners as of December 31, 2009. Hanger is organized into four units. The two key operating units are patient care, which consists of nationwide orthotic and prosthetic practice centers, and distribution, which consists of distribution centers managing the supply chain of orthotic and prosthetic components to Hanger and third party patient care centers. The third is Linkia, which is the first and only provider network management company for the orthotics and prosthetics industry. The fourth unit, Innovative Neurotronics, introduces emerging neuromuscular technologies developed through independent research in a collaborative effort with industry suppliers worldwide. For more information on Innovative Neurotronics, Inc. or the WalkAide, visit www.ininc.us. For more information on Hanger, visit www.hanger.com
- 1 - Google Closing Google Plus (Google+) Social Media Community : Disabled World (2019/02/02)
- 2 - The BC Coalition of People with Disabilities Website : Thomas C. Weiss (2009/07/02)
- 3 - Pictures or Updates to Social Media Sites Can Jeopardize Disability Benefits : Disabled World (2019/03/29)
- 4 - A Touch of Understanding and Education : Wendy Taormina-Weiss (2011/10/05)
- 5 - Net Literacy: Programs Serving Students, People with Disabilities and Seniors : Wendy Taormina-Weiss (2011/11/12)
- 6 - Disaboom: Disability Community for Persons with Disabilities : Disabled World (2010/06/01)
- 7 - Exoskeleton Robots for Wheelchair Users : www.exoskeleton-suit.com (2010/10/28)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.