Google Closing Google Plus (Google+) Social Media Community
Author: Disabled World : Contact: www.disabled-world.com
Published: 2019-02-02 : (Rev. 2020-08-29)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Google+ to close on 2nd April 2019, all profiles, pictures, videos, posts and pages plus all your Google+ comments on all sites will be deleted and the feature will be removed from Blogger by Feb. 4th 2019.
Google+ fans say the site's lack of ads, bullies, and bots, plus the ability to write long posts, allowed them to focus on topics that connect strangers, instead of existing friendships or public figures...
Google has a page you can visit to download all your data from Google+, and upload it to other social networks, like Friendster or Myspace.
A heads up to all those who use the Google+ social media community site to post, and comment on posts, Google admits that Google+ has failed to achieve broad consumer or developer adoption since its introduction and will now close down.
Google+, pronounced and sometimes written as Google Plus, is an Internet-based social network owned and operated by Google.
The network launched in June 2011 in an attempt to challenge other social networks such as Facebook and Twitter and designed to link Google's products.
In 2011 Google+ had 10 million users two weeks after the launch. In a month, it had 25 million and in October 2011, the social media web site had 40 million users, according to Google co-founder Larry Page.
Google+ fans say the site's lack of ads, bullies, and bots, plus the ability to write long posts, allowed them to focus on topics that connect strangers, instead of existing friendships or public figures - "Facebook is for people you know in real life, Google+ was for people you wish you knew in real life."
Why is Google+ Closing?
The company cited low user engagement and disclosed software design flaws that potentially allowed outside developers access to personal information of millions of users.
On Monday (Dec. 10th), Google revealed a security flaw could have exposed profile information such as names, email addresses, jobs, and ages of 52.5 million Google+ users without their permission in November.
According to The Wall Street Journal, the data exposure was discovered in the spring of 2018, and was not reported by the company because of fears of increased regulatory scrutiny.
The bug also meant that apps people willingly shared their Google+ information with were able to see the profile data of their friends, or other users who shared information with them.
When Will Google+ Close?
Google Plus Icon
As early as February 4th, you will no longer be able to create new Google+ profiles, pages, communities or events.
Google+ will be shut down for good on 2 April, with all profiles, pages, and users comments to be deleted on that day.
Also on April 2, 2019, Google plans to stop offering the consumer version of Google+ and will begin deleting the site and will "sunset all Google+ APIs in the next 90 days".
What Will Google Plus Be Deleting.
In a nutshell, everything. This means the entire Google Plus web site will cease to exist including:
- Any posts you created
- Any Google+ pages you created
- All photos and videos stored in your Google+ album archive
- All comments you posted, or answered on other peoples posts as well as your own. If you've used Google+ for commenting on your own or other sites, the feature will also be removed from Blogger by February 4th - and other sites by March 7th. All your Google+ comments on all sites will be deleted starting April 2, 2019.
How Do I Get My Pictures, Videos, and Content From Google+ Before It shuts Down?
Google has a page you can visit to download all your data from Google+, and upload it to other social networks, like Friendster or Myspace. You can download an archive of all your Google+ data at once, including your Google+ circles, Communities, Streams, and +1's. Your Google+ archive includes your photos and videos from Google+.
Be sure to download your content before April 2019 - Photos and videos backed up in Google Photos will not be deleted.
If you have an account, Google will email you - it may have already done so - telling you that "your personal Google+ account is closing on 2 April 2019".
The deletion does not affect other Google services you may have, or use. For example, photos and videos stored in Google Photos will not be affected, and your Google account and services such as Gmail, YouTube and Maps, will continue to work.
If you have friends on Google+ you do not want to lose contact with be sure to exchange contact details, or alternative social media or meeting sites, in order to stay in touch with one another.
Here is the link again to download all your data from Google+.
- 1: Google Closing Google Plus (Google+) Social Media Community : Disabled World (2019/02/02)
- 2: The BC Coalition of People with Disabilities Website : Thomas C. Weiss (2009/07/02)
- 3: Pictures or Updates to Social Media Sites Can Jeopardize Disability Benefits : Disabled World (2019/03/29)
- 4: A Touch of Understanding and Education : Wendy Taormina-Weiss (2011/10/05)
- 5: Net Literacy: Programs Serving Students, People with Disabilities and Seniors : Wendy Taormina-Weiss (2011/11/12)
- 6: Disaboom: Disability Community for Persons with Disabilities : Disabled World (2010/06/01)
- 7: Exoskeleton Robots for Wheelchair Users : www.exoskeleton-suit.com (2010/10/28)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.