Spina Bifida Week Needs Community Support - NSW Australia
Author: Department of aging, Disability and Home Care
Synopsis and Key Points:
Minister for Disability Services has called on Australians seeking to support Spina Bifida Awareness Week.
Main DigestSpina bifida is the second most common physical disability in Australia, affecting two in every 1,000 births.
Minister for Disability Services has called on people seeking to support Spina Bifida Awareness Week to bid for doodling or caricatures done by a famous Australian at the annual Celebrity Doodle Auction on Wednesday night.
Minister Peter Primrose said that the auction, run by Northcott Disability Services, hoped to raise $10,000 for children and adults with a disability.
Mr Primrose said that spina bifida was the second most common physical disability in Australia, affecting two in every 1,000 births.
"Spina bifida is caused in pregnancy when some bones in the baby's spine do not close properly when the spine develops, making it one of the most complex congenital disabilities.
"However, in most cases, and depending on the severity of the disability, their age and their opportunities to socialize and mature the child will be able to grow up and live an independent adult life in the community."
Mr Primrose said that a host of famous people including David Boon, Dick Smith and Adam Spencer would doodle or have caricatures done of themselves at the event.
"The auction will be held at the KPMG Building, 10 Shelley Street, Sydney on Wednesday beginning at 6.30pm.
"It gives people the chance to buy artwork that is different to the norm and to support a very worthwhile organization."
For more information about Spina Bifida Awareness Week and the Celebrity Caricature Auction visit: www.northcott.com.au/events.php
- 1 - Google Closing Google Plus (Google+) Social Media Community : Disabled World (2019/02/02)
- 2 - The BC Coalition of People with Disabilities Website : Thomas C. Weiss (2009/07/02)
- 3 - Pictures or Updates to Social Media Sites Can Jeopardize Disability Benefits : Disabled World (2019/03/29)
- 4 - A Touch of Understanding and Education : Wendy Taormina-Weiss (2011/10/05)
- 5 - Net Literacy: Programs Serving Students, People with Disabilities and Seniors : Wendy Taormina-Weiss (2011/11/12)
- 6 - Disaboom: Disability Community for Persons with Disabilities : Disabled World (2010/06/01)
- 7 - Exoskeleton Robots for Wheelchair Users : www.exoskeleton-suit.com (2010/10/28)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.