Conductology: Irish Breakthrough Brings Hope to Kids with Disabilities
Author: University of Conductology(i) : Contact: conductology.ie
Shaun Healy, the first person with severe intellectual disabilities to conduct an orchestra, invented Conductology, a new gesture language for music.
- Conductology can be used within any music and sound environment introducing every child and adult to inclusive accessible music-making...
- Shaun's first ensemble included performers with Down syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, Asperger's and global developmental delay...
Conductology: Creating a world where every child can play...
Once upon a time... in Ireland, the brand of disability that the general population had come to know was firmly rooted in shame, pity, charity, or at best the dramatisation of heroic efforts to simply function and be "normal." Now, not only can any child, young adult or adult with any disability, 'go to college,' make new friends, advance many skills but can also enjoy creating and playing high-quality music.
After six years of extensive research, trialling and refining at Foyle Arts on the Derry Campus of Ulster University, Dr Denise White, a multi-award winning, experienced educator who has gained global recognition for her work with vulnerable children and adults, and Shaun Healy, the world's first person with severe intellectual disabilities to conduct an orchestra, invented 'Conductology,' a new gesture language for music.
The scientifically-proven methodology significantly advances creative thinking and a plethora of skills. It has been proven to enhance confidence, self-worth and emotional well-being and can be utilised within any age-group, background, ability or culture. Conductology can be used within any music and sound environment introducing every child and adult to inclusive and accessible music-making including via the means of adaptive music technology and a range of sound objects.
Blue Conductology Logo features the word Conductology with a blue music note symbol, followed by the words - Now Everyone Can Play - www.conductology.com
Although it seems that nothing can hold Shaun back now, it wasn't always like that.
"I was trapped in a dark tunnel with no way out," is how Shaun described his life in the time B.C. (Before Conductology.) He had attended a Special Needs school. He has Global Development Delay, cannot read or write, has a tremor in his hands and suffered extensively from what he called "his anxiety monster". He had little confidence or feeling of self-worth. He had limited communication skills, lacked focus, discipline and concentration.
Now in 2020 AD (After Dr Denise), Shaun is playing a different tune. No anxiety, his hands do not shake when he conducts using the Conductology system and he has defeated the 'anxiety monster.' He is a Master Conductologist, training and mentoring in the ground-breaking methodology. He conducts orchestras, choirs and ensembles and has delivered speeches and presentations to policymakers, influencers etc. as well as significantly advancing many skills. Shaun's first ensemble included performers with Down syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, Asperger's syndrome and global developmental delay and like him, each has an exciting story to tell.
Glowing testimonies from academics, music professionals and celebrities have already permeated TV and Press.
- Deborah Kelleher, C.E.O. Royal Irish Academy of Music, "... a real game-changer."
- Professor Frank Lyons MBE, Ulster University, "When people hear the music for themselves, their perceptions of those with disabilities is brought to a whole new level."
Talent Knows No Boundaries
Coming shortly is... the Irish Conductology Inclusive Orchestra. Shaun's new orchestra, ICIO intend to establish Conductology music ensembles for children, young people and adults with and without disabilities across the island of Ireland. An opportunity to participate in local orchestras or ensembles either remotely/online or via mainstream schools and colleges, that have been denied to 1 in 7 of the population in the Republic of Ireland (and further afield) for generations.
Academic courses are available remotely in the online academy, the University of Conductology at www.conductology.com
(i)Source/Reference: University of Conductology. Disabled World makes no warranties or representations in connection therewith. Content may have been edited for style, clarity or length.
- 1 - Lifeline Discounted Monthly Phone Service : Thomas C. Weiss (2013/11/10)
- 2 - Scott Robertson - H.O.W. (Hell On Wheels) - Signs Agreement with Mirror Image Entertainment Inc. : Da Godfather of Crunk (2020/05/22)
- 3 - Ham Radio Station Connects Retirement Community to World : Guide to Retirement Living Source-Book (2011/09/13)
- 4 - Conductology: Irish Breakthrough Brings Hope to Kids with Disabilities : University of Conductology (2020/03/23)
- 5 - I Can't See You - Can You See Me? : Daniel Williams (2020/02/22)
- 6 - List of Texting Shortcuts for FaceBook - SMS - Chat Rooms : Disabled World (2009/02/02)
- 7 - Cheap Internet for Disabled, Seniors and Low-Income Americans : Disabled World (2018/10/21)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.