Online dating is big business. There are a few reasons why people find this way of meeting new people so interesting. Almost everyone is doing it! among the many online dating services, a lot of them are free.
The growing popularity of online dating has revolutionized the way couples meet. These days, it is not unusual for a single person to become a member in an online dating service. In fact, it is fast becoming the rule. In 2004, it was estimated that residents in the U.S. spent millions on online dating services.
The combination of curiosity and the hope to meet exciting new people is what attracts individuals to be a part of an online dating service group. But this new activity doesn't come without risks.
Of course it doesn't happen all the time, but now and then we hear horror stories about online dating services. Some of them are scary enough to keep singles away from online dating services for good.
One of the problems of this industry is that its members often lie about themselves in their profile. Not everyone tells the truth. People have been known to mislead others about everything, including the fact that they're married. Some married individuals try to pass themselves off as single, others lie about their appearance, age, economic status, and even gender.
For an inexperienced online dater, danger lurks at every corner. But there are some safety tips prospective members can learn to help guide them through a safe online dating experience.
Online dating services that offer subscriptions are safer than those that can be accessed for free. Paid membership sites offer a set of requirements and rules that prospective members have to meet.
Some sites are very exclusive. Anyone who wants to join has to go through an intensive screening process. Background checks are done on future members to make sure their information is true.
Here are some safety tips about online dating:
1. When dating online you should protect your identity. You should be extremely careful about divulging personal information that will make it possible for the people to locate you.
2. Pay attention to the consistency of the information your correspondents are giving you. This way, you may be able to catch them out in a lie.
3. Watch out for warning signs when talking to people, such as: the use of foul language, signs of anger for no apparent reason, elusiveness in answering direct questions, disrespectful remarks, etc. These signs spell trouble. The person with these types of behavior may not be trustworthy, you shouldn't continue this dangerous relationship.
4. You should immediately stop communication with people who will insist on obtaining personal information about you.
5. After you agree to meet your date, meet in a public place that is well-lit, with plenty of other people around.
You should always practice common sense and be cautious whenever you meet someone new. Even though the courtship takes place online, once you have revealed personal information about yourself, you can't take it back. You should always use your instincts and logic when it comes to dealing with other people, especially when dating online. This is where some people fall prey to cheaters, deceivers, and even sexual offenders. Don't against your better judgment. If something feels untrue, then this is probably a sign that something could go terribly wrong.
You are better to get out of this kind of situation. As the saying goes: "Better safe than sorry". You should always remember that saying when online dating.