Dating Sites for the Blind
Published : 2009-02-18 - Updated : 2018-10-27
Author : Disabled World - Contact: www.disabled-world.com
Synopsis* : Online dating sites and information for the vision impaired and people who are blind and seeking partners.
My intentions were to do a review of online dating websites for blind and visually impaired persons, however a search for such sites revealed there are none, or none that I could find...
OK, If Disabled World, or another website, was to create a dating service for the blind what requirements would be needed?
You can add to this list by contacting us, and if your idea(s) is good, we'll post it to this page in order to create a list of criterias a dating website for the blind wouldneed to be fully accessible.
Criteria to Develop Dating Site for Blind and Vision Impaired
Young shy woman hiding her face behind two containers of strawberries and cherries.
Ideas put forth so far include:
The site would need to be mainly text only - with pictures kept to a minimum.
Profile pictures could still be posted so that a sighted person could describe how a person looked to someone with a vision impairment.
More descriptive fields would need to be added for items such as;
- Hair and eye color
- Clean shaven or bearded
- Body build etc.
This would give a member a better idea of a person for those that can not see a profile photo.
Any anti-spam captcha's would need to be able to "speak" the captcha letters or numbers.
The website would need to be designed to be readable by a large number of different screen readers.
If we get enough interest from people we may create a dating area on the Disabled World web site for the blind and visually impaired.
About the Author
Disabled World (Disabled-World.Com) is an independent disability community established in 2004 to provide disability news, assistive technology reviews, and disability sporting events, as well as general information for people with disabilities, seniors, their family and/or carers. Be sure to check out our homepage for informative reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also find us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Related Disabled Dating Documents
- 1: Dating and Disabilities: Love and Relationships Story Series : Love, Dating, Relationships and Disabilities series from Easter Seals features new panel of experts.
- 2: Why Lonely Teens Tend to Stay Lonely : Findings show adolescents with history of chronic loneliness seem to respond to social situations in ways that may perpetuate their loneliness.
- 3: Living Apart Together: Intimate Relationship Without Shared Residence : Living Apart Together (LAT), having an intimate relationship without a shared residence, gaining popularity as an alternative form of commitment.
- 4: Senior Friendfinder: Local Online Dating for Seniors : Local Internet dating services for seniors seeking elderly companions for friendship, company, friends and marriage.
- 5: Cupid's Arrow Disabled Dating Site : Cupid's Arrow is a dating site created by the disabled for the disabled allowing members to simply and safely seek out others looking for a friend or significant other.
*Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Disabled World. Electronic Publication Date: 2009-02-18 - Revised: 2018-10-27. Title: Dating Sites for the Blind, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/communication/disabled-dating/dating-blind.php>Dating Sites for the Blind</a>. Retrieved 2021-04-18, from https://www.disabled-world.com/communication/disabled-dating/dating-blind.php - Reference: DW#244-828.