Maine Relay Mobile Captions Service
Author: Hamilton Relay : Contact: www.hamiltonrelay.com
Published: 2011-04-28 : (Rev. 2015-01-15)
People who are deaf or hard of hearing will be able to read captions on a mobile phone using Voice Carry Over (VCO) technology.
Maine Relay Begins Offering Mobile Captions Service(SM) for Individuals With Hearing Loss - Voice Carry Over (VCO) capabilities now available via mobile device for Residents of Maine.
Hamilton Relay, the exclusive Telecommunications Relay Service provider for the state of Maine, today announced the availability of Mobile Captions Service (MCS). As of April 18, individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing will be able to read captions on a mobile phone using Voice Carry Over (VCO) technology.
Developed by Mobile Captions Company, Hamilton Relay and Consumer Cellular, the MCS program lets subscribers speak, listen and read during a wireless phone conversation made on the Nokia E5. The Nokia E5 smartphone is M3/T3 hearing aid-compatible and comes with a large, 2.4-inch display and full QWERTY keyboard. The MCS program is available exclusively on the Nokia E5.
"Mobile Captions Service is valuable for the residents of Maine because it allows VCO users to stay in touch with friends and family while on the go," said Dixie Ziegler, vice president of Hamilton Relay. "Today, we all rely on our cell phones. That's why we're committed to delivering advanced mobile device solutions designed for individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing."
Similar to closed captioning on television, Mobile Captions Service allows subscribers to read text of their phone conversations on the screen of their Nokia E5 smartphone. A specially trained operator types what the other person says. MCS subscribers can then read what is said directly on the screen of the Nokia E5, making it possible to catch every part of the conversation.
"We are pleased to extend this valuable service to the residents of Maine," says William Nye, Chairman of the Maine Telecommunications Advisory Council. "We're certain Mobile Captions Service will allow our residents with hearing loss to more easily communicate with their family, work colleagues and friends, allowing them to be more independent."
MCS is offered in participating states where Hamilton Relay is the Telecommunications Relay Service provider. For information about additional participating states or to be alerted when a new state signs on, visit www.consumercellular.com/mobilecaptions To purchase the Nokia E5 visit www.consumercellular.com/mobilecaptions or call 1-888-725-4428.
- 1 - Lifeline Discounted Monthly Phone Service : Thomas C. Weiss (2013/11/10)
- 2 - Scott Robertson - H.O.W. (Hell On Wheels) - Signs Agreement with Mirror Image Entertainment Inc. : Da Godfather of Crunk (2020/05/22)
- 3 - Ham Radio Station Connects Retirement Community to World : Guide to Retirement Living Source-Book (2011/09/13)
- 4 - Conductology: Irish Breakthrough Brings Hope to Kids with Disabilities : University of Conductology (2020/03/23)
- 5 - I Can't See You - Can You See Me? : Daniel Williams (2020/02/22)
- 6 - List of Texting Shortcuts for FaceBook - SMS - Chat Rooms : Disabled World (2009/02/02)
- 7 - Cheap Internet for Disabled, Seniors and Low-Income Americans : Disabled World (2018/10/21)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.