Glossary: Definitions of Disability, Health and Medical Terms
Updated/Revised Date: 2019-11-18
Author : Disabled World - Contact: Disabled-World.com
Synopsis* : Glossaries of health and disability definitions including dictionary terminology for dental and medical terms. A glossary (idioticon, vocabulary, clavis) is an alphabetical list of terms in a certain area of knowledge. Acronyms (Abbreviations) are letters referencing a program or organization by just using the first letters of the name.
Many of the words and terms used in the health and medicine field can be confusing and hard to understand. Therefore Disabled World has supplied a number of definitions relating to many of the health and disability terms used on our website which you may encounter. Included in our glossary are the meaning of these words and terminology to help make life a little easier.
Common vocabulary terms that seem the same are sometimes not - Confusion can extend from psychological terms that are commonly assumed to be similar, if not identical, but which in fact refer to very different concepts.
Defining the Terminology of Reference Words
- Glossary: Also known as an idioticon, vocabulary, or clavis, is an alphabetical list of terms in a particular domain of knowledge with the definitions for those terms.
- Definition: A passage that explains the meaning of a term (a word, phrase or other set of symbols), or a type of thing. The term to be defined is called the definiendum.
- Core Glossary: A simple glossary or defining dictionary which enables definition of other concepts, especially for newcomers to a language or field of study. A core glossary contains a small working vocabulary and definitions for important or frequently encountered concepts, usually including useful idioms or metaphors.
- Acronym: Acronyms are a group of letters referencing a program or organization by, usually, just using the first letters of the name, e.g. "FDA" which stands for "Food and Drug Administration". People frequently use abbreviations to form acronyms to describe terms, and the health, medical, and disability fields are no exception.
Several dictionaries, thesauruses, and reference books stacked on a shelf.
In medical dictionaries, definitions should to the greatest extent possible be:
- a) Measurable
- b) Reflecting current scientific knowledge
- c) Useful clinically or in related areas where the definition will be used
- d) Simple and easy to understand, preferably even by the general public
- e) Specific, that is, by reading the definition only, it should ideally not be possible to refer to any other entity than the definiendum
Subtopics and Associated Subjects
- 1 - Human Diseases and Disorders Acronyms : Disabled World (2020/06/06)
- 2 - Diversability - What Does the Word Mean? : Disabled World (2019/03/23)
- 3 - List of Healthcare and Medical Acronyms/Abbreviations : Disabled World (2019/03/21)
- 4 - Definitions of Human Brain Components : Disabled World (2017/12/21)
- 5 - Common Vocabulary Terms That May Seem The Same But Are Different : Frontiers (2017/09/11)
- 6 - Definitions and Glossary of Adaptive and Assistive Technology Terms : Disabled World (2016/09/24)
- 7 - Disability Pride: Definition and Awareness Information : Disabled World (2015/07/03)
Definitions: Full Document List
*Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Disabled World. Revised Publication Date: 2019-11-18. Title: Glossary: Definitions of Disability, Health and Medical Terms, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/definitions/>Definitions</a>. Retrieved 2021-04-14, from https://www.disabled-world.com/definitions/ - Reference: DW#66-17.172.98-6c.