User1st - Website Accessibility Made Easy
Author: User1st : Contact: user1st.com
Synopsis and Key Points:
User1st innovative solution for helping make websites accessible to people with disabilities without needing to recode or alter website design.
User1st, an Israeli-based startup company, will be exhibiting at the 19th Annual US Business Leadership Network (USBLN) Conference entitled, "Disability Inclusion: The Future Redefined." With its innovative software system, User1st has streamlined the process to accessibility compliance by allowing web applications and website owners to achieve accessibility without modifying their existing codebase or fundamentally impacting their website design. The Conference will take place September 19-22 in Orlando, Florida.
The USBLN is a national nonprofit organization aimed at increasing employment opportunities for people with disabilities. Founded in 1994, USBLN helps drive business performance by focusing on disability inclusion in the workplace, supply chain, and marketplace.
According to the US Census Bureau, there are currently over 56.7 million adults living with a disability in the United States.
An additional study conducted by the Pew Internet Project found that 54% of adults with disabilities use the Internet, many of whom find e-commerce and online transactions extremely challenging or impossible to complete at all.
Web accessibility refers to the process of removing barriers that prevent individuals from accessing or interacting with your online content, including individuals with disabilities. Many organizations today find incorporating accessibility initiatives into their online presence a burden. On a basic level, accessibility requires significant changes to an organization's site - not only to their technical implementation but also to their user experience, graphic design, and overall implementation process. All of these changes can impact the cost and time to market, depending on how an organization responds to these requirements.
User1st's Accessibility Suite removes the burden of accessibility by introducing what it refers to as "Accessibility Skins." Instead of re-engineering the entire site, User1st's innovative solution allows a website to be altered through the use of a step-by-step wizard. Site visitors are then able to select from a number of pre-determined accessibility skins (or can create their own customizable skin) according to their accessibility needs or preferences. Some examples of accessibility skin accommodations include partial/complete blindness, epilepsy, and motor disability.
User1st helps websites comply with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 AA level requirements. User1st is already being leveraged across a host of banks, airlines, government agencies, and universities in the United States and around the world.
Launched in January 2014, User1st provides an overlay system that enables businesses, organizations and governments to meet the web accessibility requirements of Section 504 and 508 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act. A User1st treated website provides a layer of code and additional information to a host site, while maintaining the site's original structure and information architecture. This means that there is no need for fundamental changes or additional code to the initial content, thereby cutting both time and costs associated with achieving accessibility compliance.
Check out our blog for web accessibility related news and updates - www.user1st.com/category/blog/
- 1 - Improving Internet Access for Seniors and Disabled with Open Source : IBM - OpenAjax Alliance (2010/08/04)
- 2 - List of Google Chrome Keyboard Shortcuts : Disabled World (2019/04/04)
- 3 - Color Codes Chart: RGB and Hex Code for Website Accessibility : Disabled World (2009/01/03)
- 4 - List of Domain Name Extensions : Disabled World (2018/06/10)
- 5 - Enabling Flash in Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Edge and IE Web Browsers : Disabled World (2018/06/10)
- 6 - Accessible Website Design Equals Easier Accessibility : Disabled World (2009/01/04)
- 7 - Ace a Free EPUB Accessibility Checking Tool by The DAISY Consortium : DAISY Consortium (2018/01/29)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.