Common Injuries in Serious Car Accidents
Author: Burg, Simpson, Eldredge, Hersh & Jardine
Published: 2011-01-15 : (Rev. 2014-01-10)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Getting in a car accident can be emotionally scarring and frightening and can lead to long-lasting physical pain and disability.
Main DigestGetting in a serious car accident can be not only emotionally scarring and frightening, but can also lead to long-lasting physical pain and disability.
Despite vast improvements in standard vehicle safety features, serious accidents can still cause intense bodily harm with permanent effects. These serious injuries can range from head trauma to spinal cord damage, many of which will affect your quality of life indefinitely.
Whiplash is one of the most common injuries received in automobile accidents. Whiplash represents a wide-range of injuries to the head and neck caused in car accidents, and may include brain and spinal cord injuries. It occurs typically when the vehicle is hit from behind, sending your head forward at a rate that causes severe extension.
More severe spinal cord injuries can include fractured or dislocated vertebrae.
This type of injury can tear your spinal cord inhibiting the ability of the cord to relay messages to areas beyond the injury site. This can result in partial or complete paralysis.
Another serious yet common type of injury sustained in car accidents is a head injury caused by either a blow to the head or the trauma of the brain hitting the inside of the skull due to rapid acceleration or deceleration. Head injuries can range from mild concussions to severe traumatic brain injury that could lead to a serious and permanent disability.
Head injuries can also have a detrimental effect on your motor skills, language skills, thinking skills and more. Many people with head injuries need to go through rehabilitation whether it is speech therapy or occupational therapy to regain many of the skills that might be lost.
If you live in Colorado and have sustained injuries such as a head injury due to a serious auto accident, please visit Burg, Simpson, Eldredge, Hersh & Jardine online at coloradoaccidentattorneys.com
- 1 - New Jersey One Step Closer to Creating Emergency Notification System : Markowitz Gravelle LLP (2010/10/22)
- 2 - Accident Whiplash Injuries and Related Neck Pain : Disabled World (2010/10/12)
- 3 - Headphone Wearing Pedestrians Struck by Cars and Trains More Than Triple : UM School of Medicine (2012/01/17)
- 4 - Injuries from Childrens Toys : Nationwide Children's Hospital (2014/12/01)
- 5 - Health and Safety Issues Caused by Teens Distracted when Driving : Elsevier Health Sciences (2014/04/24)
- 6 - Whiplash Injury Information and How to Claim : Whiplash Injury Information (2010/10/12)
- 7 - Common Injuries in Serious Car Accidents : Burg, Simpson, Eldredge, Hersh & Jardine (2011/01/15)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.