Lighthouse for the Blind-St. Louis Earns 2016 Employment Growth Award from National Industries for the Blind
Author: Lighthouse for the Blind-St. Louis : Contact: lhbindustries.com
Lighthouse for the Blind St. Louis receives Employment Growth Award for their efforts to increase employment retention, growth and upward mobility for people who are blind.
Lighthouse for the Blind-St. Louis has been honored by National Industries for the Blind (NIB), the nation's largest employment resource for people who are blind, with the 2016 Employment Growth Award. The award recognizes Lighthouse for the Blind-St. Louis' efforts to increase employment retention, growth and upward mobility for people who are blind.
"We are particularly proud to receive NIB's 2016 Employment Growth Award because 70 percent of working-age Americans who are blind are not employed," said John Thompson, president of Lighthouse for the Blind-Saint Louis, also known as LHB Industries, Inc.
"People in the blind community are one of the nation's greatest untapped labor resources - that is why the Lighthouse and NIB lobby for policy changes to help people who are blind become more independent through job training, education and employment to earn steady income."
Kevin Lynch, NIB president and CEO, said, "It is an honor for me to recognize Lighthouse for the Blind-St. Louis with an Employment Growth Award for 2016. Lighthouse for the Blind-St. Louis continues to lead the way in creating employment and high-growth career opportunities for people who are blind."
About Lighthouse for the Blind-Saint Louis
Lighthouse for the Blind-Saint Louis is a non-profit 501(c)3 enterprise that helps children and adults who are visually impaired maintain dignity and independence by offering employment, education and support services.
Today, LHB is generating more revenues, sustaining employment and enhancing community services since its February 2014 purchase of all assets from the emergency survival kit production company Quake Kare, Inc. Quake Kare provides custom- and pre-packed disaster preparedness kits for virtually any type of crisis such as earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados, blizzards, floods, accidents, terrorist attacks and building lock-downs. (http://www.quakekare.com).
In June, 2015, LHB acquired all assets of Val-A Chicago, Inc., producer of the Tear Mender brand of non-toxic, all-natural adhesive and sealants for repairing clothing, fabrics, footwear, leather, upholstery, vinyl and other items for indoor and outdoor use. (https://www.tearmender.com).
LHB currently employs 48 people who are legally blind in two assembly and packaging plants in St. Louis County to assemble, pack and ship Quake Kare and Tear Mender products, as well as LHB's flagship products for businesses, commercial, government and military customers. All sales revenues directly support LHB's 16 Blind Community Outreach Programs called "See the Future" programs, which provide support and resources to children and adults who are legally blind and visually impaired in Missouri and Southwestern Illinois.
For details about Lighthouse for the Blind-Saint Louis services and programs, call 800.542.3697 or 314.423.4333 or visit the website or www.lhbindustries.com
About National Industries for the Blind
Since 1938, National Industries for the Blind (NIB) has focused on enhancing the opportunities for economic and personal independence of people who are blind, primarily through creating, sustaining and improving employment. NIB and its network of associated nonprofit agencies, including LHB Industries, are the nation's largest employer of people who are blind through the manufacture and provision of SKILCRAFT® and other products and services of the AbilityOne® Program. For more information about NIB, visit www.NIB.org
- 1 - Shabnam Rangwala from Mumbai Shortlisted for Prestigious Humanitarian Award : Disabled World (2020/03/18)
- 2 - Accessible Treehouse Builder Wins Award : Paralyzed Veterans of America (2011/09/26)
- 3 - 2017 Cavinkare Ability Awards - Honouring Extraordinary Achievers with Disabilities : CavinKarePvt. Ltd and Ability Foundation (2017/02/20)
- 4 - Lighthouse for the Blind-St. Louis Earns 2016 Employment Growth Award from National Industries for the Blind : Lighthouse for the Blind-St. Louis (2017/02/02)
- 5 - Dentist Honored for Bringing Smiles to Those With Intellectual Disability : Special Olympics North Carolina (2016/11/22)
- 6 - Australian Nursing Awards - Nominate Nurses for National Honors : HESTA Australian Nursing Awards (2016/03/06)
- 7 - Accessibility Awards - FCC Seeking Nominations : Federal Communications Commission (FCC) (2016/01/14)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.