May is Older Americans Month
Author: 101 Mobility
Published: 2011-05-03 : (Rev. 2013-06-04)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Former president John F. Kennedy designated the month of May as Older Americans Month in 1963.
Main Digest101 Mobility Offers Advice on What to Consider Before Investing in a Mobility Solution.
Former president John F. Kennedy designated the month of May as Older Americans Month in 1963 and it has since become a long-standing tradition to pay tribute to older adults.
At that time, only 17 million Americans had reached their 65th birthday, according to the Administration on Aging. In 2009, this number totaled 39.6 million people.
As our country's aging demographics shift and older adults rely on the support of their loved ones, the services of small businesses that cater to seniors will become increasingly in demand. 101 Mobility, a franchised provider and installer of a broad range of high-quality, affordable brands of mobility and accessibility equipment for seniors and individuals with limited mobility, is one such company.
"Our goal is to make aging in place a viable option for older adults who want to maintain their independence and to educate family caregivers on how to identify the right tools to make this happen for their loved ones," says Dave Pazgan, CEO of 101 Mobility.
Here are three tips from Pazgan to consider before investing in a mobility solution.
Assess Your Elder's Living Situation. With falls being the number one cause of home fatalities among the senior population, consider a chair lift on steep stairs, grab bars and a shower chair in the bathroom and possibly a walker or scooter for additional support.
Small Changes Count Too. Move frequently used items in the kitchen into lower cabinets, consider extending the legs of furniture by a few inches so your senior doesn't have to rock to get up and make sure counters and tabletops have rounded corners to prevent more serious injuries.
Do Your Due Diligence When it Comes to Financing. Even with good health insurance, mobility equipment can be tight on the budget for many seniors. Many mobility equipment providers offer payment plans for those who have good credit and ask about government assistance programs such as the HISA Grant for U.S. military veterans. For more information, please visit www.101mobility.com
- 1 - COVID-19 Awareness Ribbons : Coronavirus Ribbon Designs : Disabled World (2020/04/08)
- 2 - Rare Disease Day Awareness February 28 - 29th : National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) (2015/02/13)
- 3 - Awareness Dates: Days : Weeks : Months : Disabled World (2011/04/30)
- 4 - Awareness Ribbons Chart: Color and Meaning of Awareness Ribbon Causes : Disabled World (2015/03/09)
- 5 - Sunflower Lanyard Program for Hidden Disability Awareness : Disabled World (2019/11/09)
- 6 - Politically Correct Language of Disability : Disabled World (2009/01/28)
- 7 - World Autism Awareness Day with The Brain Broad : Tsara Shelton (2020/04/02)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.