A disability is often used to refer to individual functioning, including physical impairment, sensory impairment, cognitive impairment, intellectual impairment, mental illness, and various types of chronic diseases. A disability can be present from birth, or occur during a person's lifetime.
Have a disability or medical condition?
You are not alone, people with disabilities include actors, actresses, celebrities, singers, world leaders, and many other famous people. Of course there are also millions of people worldwide who may not be famous in the sense society deems famous, but still live with, battle, and overcome their disabilities every single day of their lives.
These lists are a constant work in progress. Below you will find lists of many famous and well known people who have, or had, disabilities.
Lists of Famous People With Disability
- Amputees - List of well known and famous people who currently are, or were amputees. A large proportion of amputees experience the phenomenon of phantom limbs, they feel body parts that are no longer there. These limbs can itch, ache, and feel as if they are moving.
- Asperger's Syndrome - A list of famous people who either have or had Aspergers Syndrome during their life. People with Asperger's Syndrome are often described, as having social skills deficits, reluctance to listen, difficulty understanding social give and take, and other core characteristics.
- Asthma - List of well known and famous persons both living and deceased who have and had Asthma in their lives. Asthma is caused by a complex interaction of genetic and environmental factors that researchers do not fully understand yet. These factors can also influence how severe a person's asthma is and how well they respond to medication.
- Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) - A list of well known people who are known to have autism or a related condition on the autism spectrum. Autism is a general term used to describe a group of complex developmental brain disorders - autism spectrum disorders - caused by a combination of genes and environmental influences.
- Cerebral Palsy - A list of well known and famous persons both living and deceased who have or had Cerebral Palsy. Cerebral palsy is caused by abnormal development or damage to the parts of the brain that control movement, balance, and posture. Most often the problems occur during pregnancy; however, they may also occur during childbirth, or shortly after birth.
- Cleft - List of well known people with a cleft a congenital deformity caused by a failure in facial development during pregnancy. Cleft lip and cleft palate, which can also occur together as cleft lip and palate are variations of a type of clefting congenital deformity caused by abnormal facial development during gestation. This type of deformity is sometimes referred to as a cleft.
- Club Feet or Foot - A list of well known and famous people who have or had either a club foot or feet. A clubfoot, or talipes equinovarus (TEV), is a birth defect. The foot is twisted in (inverted) and down. Without treatment, persons afflicted often appear to walk on their ankles, or on the sides of their feet. It is a common birth defect, occurring in about one in every 1,000 live births.
- About This Image: Photograph of German born theoretical physicist Albert Einstein taken around 1904-05. Dementia - A list of famous and/or well known people who currently have or had dementia, a progressive decline in cognitive function. Dementia is the progressive decline in cognitive function due to damage or disease in the brain beyond what might be expected from normal aging.
- Dyslexia - A list of famous persons living and deceased who are Dyslexic or had Dyslexia in their life. Dyslexia is a specific learning disability that manifests primarily as a difficulty with written language, particularly with reading and spelling.
- Epilepsy - A list of famous and well known people have or had epilepsy during their lives. Epilepsy is a common chronic neurological disorder that is characterized by recurrent unprovoked seizures. These seizures are transient signs and/or symptoms due to abnormal, excessive or synchronous neuronal activity in the brain.
- Hearing Impairments - List of famous and well known people who are or were deaf and have or had hearing impairments. A hearing impairment exists when an individual is not sensitive to the sounds normally heard by its kind. In human beings, the term hearing impairment is usually reserved for people who have relative insensitivity to sound in the speech frequencies.
- Lou Gehrigs Disease (ALS) - A list of famous and well known people with or had ALS or Lou Gehrigs Disease one of the most common neuromuscular diseases worldwide. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, sometimes called Lou Gehrig's Disease, or Maladie de Charcot) is a progressive, usually fatal, neurodegenerative disease caused by the degeneration of motor neurons, the nerve cells in the central nervous system that control voluntary muscle movement.
- Meniere's Disease - A list of well known and people who are famous who have or had Menieres Disease. Meniere's disease is an abnormality of the inner ear causing a host of symptoms, including vertigo or severe dizziness, tinnitus or a roaring sound in the ears, fluctuating hearing loss, and the sensation of pressure or pain in the affected ear.
- Mood Disorders - List of famous people with mood disorders including depression, biopolar disorder, and cyclothymia mania. A mood disorder is a condition whereby the prevailing emotional mood is distorted or inappropriate to the circumstances. The two major types of mood disorders are depression or unipolar depression and bipolar disorder.
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - List of famous and well known people both living and deceased who have and had multiple sclerosis (MS). Multiple sclerosis affects an estimated 300,000 people in the United States and probably more than 1 million people around the world. MS effects twice as many females as males.
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - List of famous and well known people who had, or have, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). The phrase "obsessive-compulsive" has worked its way into the wider English lexicon, and is often used in an offhand manner to describe someone who is meticulous or absorbed in a cause.
- Psoriasis - List of well known and famous people who had or currently have psoriasis in their life. Psoriasis (suh-RI-uh-sus) is a disease which affects the skin and joints. It commonly causes red scaly patches to appear on the skin.
- Parkinson's Disease - List of well known and famous people who have, or did have, Parkinson's disease. Parkinson's disease belongs to a group of conditions called movement disorders. It is characterized by muscle rigidity, tremor, a slowing of physical movement and, in extreme cases, a loss of physical movement.
- Polio - Explanation of the disease Polio and resource list of famous people living and deceased who had polio in their lives. Poliomyelitis, often called polio or infantile paralysis, is an acute viral infectious disease spread from person to person, primarily via the fecal-oral route.
- Physically Disabled World Leaders and Politicians - A list of politicians and world leaders who currently hold or held office while having a significant physical disability.
- Schizophrenia - List of well known and famous people who have and had Schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is a psychiatric diagnosis that describes a mental illness characterized by impairments in the perception or expression of reality, most commonly manifesting as auditory hallucinations, paranoid or bizarre delusions or disorganized speech and thinking in the context of significant social or occupational dysfunction.
- Speech Differences and Stutter - List of well known and famous people who have and/or had speech differences including stuttering. Stuttering is generally not a problem with the physical production of speech sounds or putting thoughts into words. Despite popular perceptions to the contrary, stuttering does not affect and has no bearing on intelligence.
- Spina Bifida - List of well known and famous people both past and present who were born with Spina Bifida. Spina bifida is a developmental birth defect involving the neural tube, incomplete closure of the embryonic neural tube results in an incompletely formed spinal cord.
- Tourettes Syndrome - List of well known people both past and present who have or had Tourettes syndrome. The exact cause of Tourette's is unknown, but it is well established that both genetic and environmental factors are involved. Genetic studies have shown that the overwhelming majority of cases of Tourette's are inherited, although the exact mode of inheritance is not yet known, and no gene has been identified.
- Vision Impairments - A list of famous and well known sight impaired people who are or were blind or blind in one eye. Blindness is the condition of lacking visual perception due to physiological or neurological factors. Total blindness is the complete lack of form and light perception and is clinically recorded as "NLP," an abbreviation for "no light perception.
- Wheelchair Users - A list of well known and famous people who use or used wheelchairs since birth and later in life due to disabilities.
- Disability Quotes - A collection of famous, and not so famous, interesting quotes regarding disability and health related disabilities.
- Famous People who Died Young - List of well known and famous people who died before their time in accidents, from health conditions, and other causes.