What is Meniere's Disease? Meniere's disease is an abnormality of the inner ear causing a host of symptoms, including vertigo or severe dizziness, tinnitus or a roaring sound in the ears, fluctuating hearing loss, and the sensation of pressure or pain in the affected ear.
The disorder usually affects only one ear and is a common cause of hearing loss. Named after French physician Prosper Meniere who first described the syndrome in 1861.
The symptoms of Meniere's are variable; not all sufferers experience the same symptoms. So called "classic Meniere's" is considered to comprise the following four symptoms:
- Periodic episodes of rotary vertigo (the abnormal sensation of movement) or dizziness.
- Fluctuating, progressive, unilateral (in one ear) or bilateral (in both ears) hearing loss, often initially in the lower frequency ranges.
- Unilateral or bilateral tinnitus (the perception of noises, often ringing, roaring, or whooshing), sometimes variable.
- A sensation of fullness or pressure in one or both ears.
There is no cure for Meniere's disease. However, the symptoms of the disease are often controlled successfully by reducing the body's retention of fluids through dietary changes (such as a low-salt or salt-free diet and no caffeine or alcohol) or medication.
Scientists are investigating environmental and biological factors that may cause Meniere's disease or induce an attack.
Famous People with Meniere's Disease
- Aaron Reiser - artist.
- Alan Shepard
- Andrew Knight
- Brian Evans - university administrator.
- Chris Potter - saxophonist and band leader.
- Dan Carlson - journalist.
- Dana Davis
- Dana White
- Daniel Pancy - photographer.
- David Alstead
- David Copithorne
- Edeltraut L. Scheffler Plath - poet.
- Elizabeth Anne Steward - community serviceperson and Meniere's Disease advocate.
- Emily Dickinson
- Jane Nichols - chancellor, University of Nevada.
- Jessica Williams
- Jonathan Swift
- Judy Carrow - disaster volunteer.
- Katie LeClerc
- Kristen Chenoweth
- Kuriyama Hideki - newscaster, professional baseball player.
- Kyle Walpole - climber.
- Les Paul
- Lisa McDonald
- Mandy Stefanczak - fitness competitor. Diagnosed at age 15.
- Martin Luther
- Meg MacDonald - television journalist.
- Mike Reilly
- Nancy Freudenthal - First Lady of the State of Wyoming.
- Patrick Flores - Archbishop of San Antonio.
- Patty Spitler - broadcast journalist.
- Peggy Goldwater - wife of Senator Barry Goldwater.
- Peggy Lee
- Randy Thurman - multitalented artist.
- Stan Gallimore - drummer.
- Steve Francis
- Steven Barrie-Anthony - journalist.
- Tim Conley - Professional golfer
- Vincent Van Gogh
NOTE: If you know of a discrepancy in this list please contact us so we can amend the entry.