Famous People with Tourettes Syndrome
- Publish Date: 2017/11/10 - (Rev. 2019/04/03)
- Author: Disabled World
- Contact : www.disabled-world.com
Outline: List of well known people both past and present who have or had Tourettes syndrome.
What is Tourettes Syndrome?
Tourette syndrome (also called Tourette's syndrome, Tourette's disorder, Gilles de la Tourette syndrome, GTS or simply Tourette's or TS) is an inherited neurological disorder with onset in childhood, characterized by the presence of multiple physical (motor) tics and at least one vocal (phonic) tic; these tics characteristically wax and wane.
The exact cause of Tourette's is unknown, but it is well established that both genetic and environmental factors are involved.
Genetic studies have shown that the overwhelming majority of cases of Tourette's are inherited, although the exact mode of inheritance is not yet known, and no gene has been identified.
Tourette's was once considered a rare and bizarre syndrome, most often associated with the exclamation of obscene words or socially inappropriate and derogatory remarks (coprolalia). However, this symptom is present in only a small minority of people with Tourette's.
A person with Tourette's has about a 50% chance of passing the gene(s) to one of his or her children.
List of Famous People with Tourettes Syndrome
- Billie Eilish Pirate Baird O'Connel (Born Dec. 18, 2001) American singer and songwriter. On November 27, 2018, after videos emerged online of a compilation featuring Eilish experiencing tics related to Tourette syndrome, she posted on her Instagram account confirming Tourette syndrome was a part of her life.
- Dan Ackroyd
- Dash Mihok
- David Beckham
- Dr. Samuel Johnson
- Howard Hughes
- Jamie Grace Harper
- Jim Eisenreich - James Michael Eisenreich
- Marc Summers
- Michael Wolff
- Tim Howard
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
NOTE: If you know of a discrepancy in this list please contact us so we can amend the entry.
- 1 - Famous People Who Have or Had Asperger's Syndrome | Michelle Fattig | 2017/11/10
- 2 - Famous People Who Had and Have Polio | Disabled World | 2017/11/10
- 3 - Art and Disability | Marcy Hernandez, Founder/Artist The International Association of Artists With Disabilities; Gracie’s Place Art Studio | 2019/09/11
- 4 - Famous People Who Died from Head and Neck Cancer | Disabled World | 2019/08/13
- 5 - Famous People Who Have or Had Lou Gehrigs Disease (ALS) | Disabled World | 2017/11/10