Famous People with Tourettes Syndrome
Published: 2017-11-10 - Updated: 2021-01-21
Author: Disabled World | Contact: Disabled World (www.disabled-world.com)
Peer-Reviewed Publication: N/A
Jump to: Main Digest | Publications
Synopsis: Famous and well known people, past and present, who have or had Tourettes syndrome, also called Gilles de la Tourette syndrome, GTS, Tourette's or abbreviated TS. Tourette's was once considered a rare and bizarre syndrome, most often associated with the exclamation of obscene words or socially inappropriate and derogatory remarks. The exact cause of Tourette's is unknown, but it is well established that both genetic and environmental factors are involved.
What is Tourettes Syndrome?
Tourette syndrome (also called Tourette's syndrome, Tourette's disorder, Gilles de la Tourette syndrome, GTS or simply Tourette's or TS) is an inherited neurological disorder with onset in childhood, characterized by the presence of multiple physical (motor) tics and at least one vocal (phonic) tic; these tics characteristically wax and wane.
This article is from our digest of publications relating to Famous Disabled People that also includes:
The exact cause of Tourette's is unknown, but it is well established that both genetic and environmental factors are involved.
Genetic studies have shown that the overwhelming majority of cases of Tourette's are inherited, although the exact mode of inheritance is not yet known, and no gene has been identified.
Tourette's was once considered a rare and bizarre syndrome, most often associated with the exclamation of obscene words or socially inappropriate and derogatory remarks (coprolalia). However, this symptom is present in only a small minority of people with Tourette's.
A person with Tourette's has about a 50% chance of passing the gene(s) to one of his or her children.
List of Famous People with Tourettes Syndrome
- Aidy Smith - Born October 31, 1990 in Bradford, England, UK, Aidy Smith is the presenter and producer of "The Three Drinkers" a TV series on Amazon Prime. Aidy proudly flies the flag for LGBTQ+ communities and those with disabilities. Aidy Smith is one of the only TV presenters in the world with Tourette syndrome, actively pushing to raise awareness on this topic.
- Billie Eilish Pirate Baird O'Connel (Born Dec. 18, 2001) American singer and songwriter. On November 27, 2018, after videos emerged online of a compilation featuring Eilish experiencing tics related to Tourette syndrome, she posted on her Instagram account confirming Tourette syndrome was a part of her life.
- Dan Aykroyd
- Dash Mihok
- David Beckham
- Dr. Samuel Johnson
- Howard Hughes
- Jamie Grace Harper
- Jim Eisenreich - James Michael Eisenreich
- Marc Summers
- Michael Wolff
- Tim Howard
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
NOTE: If you know of a discrepancy in this list please contact us so we can amend the entry.
Disabled World is an independent disability community established in 2004 to provide disability news and information to people with disabilities, seniors, their family and/or carers. See our homepage for informative news, reviews, sports, stories and how-tos. You can also connect with us on Twitter and Facebook or learn more about Disabled World on our about us page.
Disabled World provides general information only. The materials presented are never meant to substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Financial support is derived from advertisements or referral programs, where indicated. Any 3rd party offering or advertising does not constitute an endorsement.
• Cite This Page (APA): Disabled World. (2017, November 10). Famous People with Tourettes Syndrome. Disabled World. Retrieved October 2, 2022 from www.disabled-world.com/disability/awareness/famous/tourettes.php
• Permalink: <a href="https://www.disabled-world.com/disability/awareness/famous/tourettes.php">Famous People with Tourettes Syndrome</a>