- Barbara Jordan
- Christopher Reeve
- F.D. Roosevelt
- Frida Kahlo
- Itzhak Perlman
- Jean Driscoll
- John Charles Hockenberry
- Joni Eareckson Tada
- King Phillip II of Spain
- Lionel Barrymore
- Nick Vujicic
- Stephen Hawking
- Tanni Gray-Thompson
- Teddy Pendergrass
Famous People That Use or Used Wheelchairs in the Past
- Publish Date: 2017/11/10 - (Rev. 2018/10/12)
- Author: Disabled World
- Contact : www.disabled-world.com
Outline: A list of well known and famous people who use or used wheelchairs since birth and later in life due to disabilities.
A wheelchair is a wheeled mobility device in which the user sits, propelled either manually or via various automated systems.
Wheelchairs are used by people for whom walking is difficult or impossible due to illness, injury, or disability. The earliest record of the wheelchair in England dates from the 1670s.
A smart wheelchair uses an artificial control system which augments or replaces user control. Its purpose is to reduce or eliminate the task of driving a motorized wheelchair.
Smart wheelchairs usually employ sonar, infrared sensors or laser rangefinders to detect obstacles and to ensure that the platform does not collide with them.
There are many types of wheelchairs, and they are often highly customised for the individual user's needs.
Types of wheelchairs include Beach wheelchairs, Sports wheelchairs, Electric wheelchairs, and Manual wheelchairs.
A mobility scooter is a motorized assist device, but with a steering 'tiller' or bar instead of the joystick found on wheelchairs.
Adapting buildings and surroundings to make them more accessible to wheelchair users is one of the key campaigns of disability rights movements and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA).
NOTE: If you know of a discrepancy in this list please contact us so we can amend the entry.
- 1 - Famous People Who Have or Had Asperger's Syndrome | Michelle Fattig | 2017/11/10
- 2 - Famous People Who Had and Have Polio | Disabled World | 2017/11/10
- 3 - Art and Disability | Marcy Hernandez, Founder/Artist The International Association of Artists With Disabilities; Gracie’s Place Art Studio | 2019/09/11
- 4 - Famous People Who Died from Head and Neck Cancer | Disabled World | 2019/08/13
- 5 - Famous People Who Have or Had Lou Gehrigs Disease (ALS) | Disabled World | 2017/11/10