Top 10 Things That Annoy People Who Use Wheelchairs - Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation
Author: Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation
Published: 2010-05-06 : (Rev. 2010-06-25)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Online poll asking people who use wheelchairs what annoys them most.
Main DigestThe Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation today released the results of an online poll, asking people who use wheelchairs what annoys them most.
In a survey released on ChristopherReeve.org, wheelchair users were asked, "What do family, friends, and strangers do to you when you are using your chair that annoys you"
With over 1,100 responses and 13 choices, 37% of respondents agreed that 'able-bodied people parking in spaces designated for people in wheelchairs' was the most annoying thing they encounter on a daily basis. Coming in second with over 12% of the votes, was 'accessible bathroom stalls being used by those who don't need them.' The third most popular answer with 9% of the votes, was 'talking over my head as if I'm not there.'
Peter T. Wilderotter, president and CEO of the Reeve Foundation said, "Last year, the Reeve Foundation released the results of 'One Degree of Separation: Paralysis and Spinal Cord Injury in the United States,' which showed one in 50 Americans is living with paralysis due to injury, disease, disorder or birth condition." Wilderotter continued, "We are sharing these results of our online poll to help raise awareness of the issues faced by those living with paralysis. It is our hope that anyone touched by paralysis will join this discussion in our online community."
William Bogdan, Disability Liaison, Illinois Secretary of State, who helps to coordinate the state's Parking Program for Persons with Disabilities and has used a wheelchair for 40 years and participated in the poll, stated "The results of the Reeve Foundation online poll help to bring to light that the blatant abuses of the Parking Program for Persons with Disabilities are a national epidemic that plagues cities across country. The Reeve Foundation can play a major role bringing stake holders together to develop real solutions." To read the complete Top 10 List, or to share your opinion, please visit www.christopherreeve.org
The Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation is dedicated to curing spinal cord injury by funding innovative research, and improving the quality of life for people living with paralysis through grants, information and advocacy. For more information please visit our website at ChristopherReeve.org or call 800-225-0292
- 1 - COVID-19 Awareness Ribbons : Coronavirus Ribbon Designs : Disabled World (2020/04/08)
- 2 - Awareness Dates: Days : Weeks : Months : Disabled World (2011/04/30)
- 3 - Awareness Ribbons Chart: Color and Meaning of Awareness Ribbon Causes : Disabled World (2015/03/09)
- 4 - Sunflower Lanyard Program for Hidden Disability Awareness : Disabled World (2019/11/09)
- 5 - Politically Correct Language of Disability : Disabled World (2009/01/28)
- 6 - World Autism Awareness Day with The Brain Broad : Tsara Shelton (2020/04/02)
- 7 - List of U.S. Presidential Proclamation Dates : Disabled World (2018/12/20)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.