International Day of People with Disabilities (Formerly World Disabled Day)
- Publish Date: 2012/12/03 - (Rev. 2015/04/19)
- Author: Disabled World
- Contact : Disabled World
Outline: International Day of People with Disability on Dec 3 is an international observance promoted by the United Nations since 1992.
International Day of People with Disability on December 3 each year is an international observance promoted by the United Nations since 1992. 2012 marks the 20th anniversary of the International Day for People with Disabilities. The day aims to promote an understanding of people with disability and encourage support for their dignity, rights and well-being.
Around 15% of the world's population, or one billion people, live with disabilities. People are often unaware of the great number of persons living with disabilities around the world and the challenges they face.
Persons with disabilities, "the world's largest minority", often face barriers to participation in all aspects of society. Barriers can take a variety of forms, including those relating to the physical environment or to information and communications technology (ICT), or those resulting from legislation or policy, or from societal attitudes or discrimination. The result is that persons with disabilities do not have equal access to society or services, including education, employment, health care, transportation, political participation or justice. The day aims to promote an understanding of disability issues and mobilize support for the dignity, rights and well-being of persons with disabilities. It also seeks to increase awareness of gains to be derived from the inclusion of persons with disabilities in every aspect of life.
International Day of People with Disabilities Themes by Year:
- 1998: "Arts, Culture and Independent Living"
- 1999: "Accessibility for all for the new Millennium"
- 2000: "Making information technologies work for all"
- 2001: "Full participation and equality: The call for new approaches to assess progress and evaluate outcome"
- 2002: "Independent Living and Sustainable Livelihoods"
- 2003: "A Voice of our Own"
- 2004: "Nothing about Us, Without Us"
- 2005: "Rights of Persons with Disabilities: Action in Development"
- 2006: "E-Accessibility"
- 2007: "Decent Work for Persons with Disabilities"
- 2008: "Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities: Dignity and justice for all of us"
- 2009: "Making the MDGs Inclusive: Empowerment of persons with disabilities and their communities around the world"
- 2010: "Keeping the promise: Mainstreaming disability in the Millennium Development Goals towards 2015 and beyond"
- 2011: "Together for a better world for all: Including persons with disabilities in development"
- 2012: "Removing barriers to create an inclusive and accessible society for all"
- 2013: "Break barriers, open doors: for an inclusive society for all"
- 2014: "Sustainable development: The promise of technology"
- 1 - Awareness Dates: Days - Weeks - Months | Disabled World (2011/04/30)
- 2 - Awareness Ribbons Chart: Color and Meaning of Awareness Ribbon Causes | Disabled World (2015/03/09)
- 3 - The Sunflower Lanyard Program for Hidden Disabilities | Disabled World (2019/11/09)
- 4 - U.N. International Awareness and Commemorative Dates | Disabled World (2018/12/20)
- 5 - UN World Food Safety Day - 7th June Annually | World Health Organization (WHO) (2019/06/07)
- 6 - List of U.S. Presidential Proclamation Dates | Disabled World (2018/12/20)
- 7 - Cancer Awareness Ribbons Color Chart | Disabled World (2019/02/28)
- 👉 For further related information see our full list of Awareness Documents - (Currently Listing 120 Fact Sheets).
- 👉 RSS: If you use a feed reader you are welcome to freely subscribe to our latest Awareness publications.