International Day of People with Disabilities (World Disabled Day)
Published: 2012-12-03 - Updated: 2022-01-08
Author: Disabled World | Contact: Disabled World (Disabled-World.com)
Synopsis: International Day of People with Disability on Dec 3 is an international observance promoted by the United Nations since 1992. Around 15% of the world's population, or one billion people, live with disabilities. People are often unaware of the great number of persons living with disabilities around the world and the challenges they face. International Day of People with Disability aims to promote an understanding of disability issues and mobilize support for the dignity, rights and well-being of persons with disabilities.
International Day of People with Disability on December 3 each year is an international observance promoted by the United Nations since 1992. The day aims to promote an understanding of people with disability and encourage support for their dignity, rights and well-being.
Around 15% of the world's population, or one billion people, live with disabilities. People are often unaware of the great number of persons living with disabilities around the world and the challenges they face.
Persons with disabilities, "the world's largest minority", often face barriers to participation in all aspects of society. Barriers can take a variety of forms, including those relating to the physical environment or to information and communications technology (ICT), or those resulting from legislation or policy, or from societal attitudes or discrimination. The result is that persons with disabilities do not have equal access to society or services, including education, employment, health care, transportation, political participation or justice.
International Day of People with Disability aims to promote an understanding of disability issues and mobilize support for the dignity, rights and well-being of persons with disabilities. It also seeks to increase awareness of gains to be derived from the inclusion of persons with disabilities in every aspect of life.
International Day of People with Disabilities Themes by Year:
- 2021: "Leadership and participation of persons with disabilities toward an inclusive, accessible and sustainable post-COVID-19 world."
- 2020: "Building back better: towards an inclusive, accessible and sustainable post COVID-19 world by, for and with persons with disabilities"
- 2019: "Promoting the participation of persons with disabilities and their leadership: taking action on the 2030 Development Agenda"
- 2018: "Empowering persons with disabilities and ensuring inclusiveness and equality"
- 2017: "Transformation towards sustainable and resilient society for all"
- 2016: "Achieving 17 Goals for the Future We Want"
- 2015: "Inclusion matters: access and empowerment of people of all abilities"
- 2014: "Sustainable Development: The Promise of Technology"
- 2013: "Break Barriers, Open Doors: for an inclusive society and development for all"
- 2012: "Removing barriers to create an inclusive and accessible society for all"
- 2011: "Together for a better world for all: Including persons with disabilities in development"
- 2010: "Keeping the promise: Mainstreaming disability in the Millennium Development Goals towards 2015 and beyond"
- 2009: "Making the MDGs Inclusive: Empowerment of persons with disabilities and their communities around the world"
- 2008: "Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities: Dignity and justice for all of us"
- 2007: "Decent work for persons with disabilities"
- 2006: "E-Accessibility"
- 2005: "Rights of Persons with Disabilities: Action in Development"
- 2004: "Nothing about Us without Us"
- 2003: "A voice of our own"
- 2002: "Independent Living and Sustainable Livelihoods"
- 2001: "Full participation and equality: The call for new approaches to assess progress and evaluate outcome"
- 2000: "Making information technologies work for all"
- 1999: "Accessibility for all for the new Millennium"
- 1998: "Arts, Culture and Independent Living"
Who We Are:
Disabled World is an independent disability community established in 2004 to provide disability news and information to people with disabilities, seniors, and their family and/or carers. See our homepage for informative reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can connect with us on social media such as Twitter and Facebook or learn more about Disabled World on our about us page.
Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
Cite This Page (APA): Disabled World. (2012, December 3). International Day of People with Disabilities (World Disabled Day). Disabled World. Retrieved January 21, 2022 from www.disabled-world.com/disability/awareness/world-disabled-day.php