International Day of People with Disabilities (Formerly World Disabled Day)
Published: 2012-12-03 - Updated: 2015-04-19
Author: Disabled World | Contact: Disabled World (Disabled-World.com)
Synopsis: International Day of People with Disability on Dec 3 is an international observance promoted by the United Nations since 1992.
International Day of People with Disability on December 3 each year is an international observance promoted by the United Nations since 1992. 2012 marks the 20th anniversary of the International Day for People with Disabilities. The day aims to promote an understanding of people with disability and encourage support for their dignity, rights and well-being.
Around 15% of the world's population, or one billion people, live with disabilities. People are often unaware of the great number of persons living with disabilities around the world and the challenges they face.
Persons with disabilities, "the world's largest minority", often face barriers to participation in all aspects of society. Barriers can take a variety of forms, including those relating to the physical environment or to information and communications technology (ICT), or those resulting from legislation or policy, or from societal attitudes or discrimination. The result is that persons with disabilities do not have equal access to society or services, including education, employment, health care, transportation, political participation or justice. The day aims to promote an understanding of disability issues and mobilize support for the dignity, rights and well-being of persons with disabilities. It also seeks to increase awareness of gains to be derived from the inclusion of persons with disabilities in every aspect of life.
International Day of People with Disabilities Themes by Year:
- 1998: "Arts, Culture and Independent Living"
- 1999: "Accessibility for all for the new Millennium"
- 2000: "Making information technologies work for all"
- 2001: "Full participation and equality: The call for new approaches to assess progress and evaluate outcome"
- 2002: "Independent Living and Sustainable Livelihoods"
- 2003: "A Voice of our Own"
- 2004: "Nothing about Us, Without Us"
- 2005: "Rights of Persons with Disabilities: Action in Development"
- 2006: "E-Accessibility"
- 2007: "Decent Work for Persons with Disabilities"
- 2008: "Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities: Dignity and justice for all of us"
- 2009: "Making the MDGs Inclusive: Empowerment of persons with disabilities and their communities around the world"
- 2010: "Keeping the promise: Mainstreaming disability in the Millennium Development Goals towards 2015 and beyond"
- 2011: "Together for a better world for all: Including persons with disabilities in development"
- 2012: "Removing barriers to create an inclusive and accessible society for all"
- 2013: "Break barriers, open doors: for an inclusive society for all"
- 2014: "Sustainable development: The promise of technology"
Who We Are:
Disabled World is an independent disability community established in 2004 to provide disability news and information to people with disabilities, seniors, and their family and/or carers. See our homepage for informative reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can connect with us on social media such as Twitter and Facebook or learn more about Disabled World on our about us page.
In Other News:
Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
Cite This Page (APA): Disabled World. (2012, December 3). International Day of People with Disabilities (Formerly World Disabled Day). Disabled World. Retrieved September 26, 2021 from www.disabled-world.com/disability/awareness/world-disabled-day.php