Critical Caregiving Issues Fact Sheets
Author: Family Caregiver Alliance(i) : Contact: caregiver.org
Published: 2011-09-26 : (Rev. 2018-08-20)
Synopsis and Key Points:
FCA new fact sheets detailing critical issues in caregiving and long-term care in the United States.
Family Caregiver Alliance Releases Five New Fact Sheets on Critical Caregiving Issues.
Family Caregiver Alliance's National Center on Caregiving has released five new fact sheets detailing critical issues in caregiving and long-term care in the U.S.
The new and updated publications join a comprehensive library of more than 60 FCA fact sheets that span the breadth of topics relating to family caregiving, from financial implications, to policy impacts, demographics, chronic health conditions, caregiver health and family dynamics.
All fact sheets are available FREE on the FCA website at www.caregiver.org
Selected Caregiver Statistics
Updated synopsis of a wide range of statistical and demographic studies of unpaid/family caregiving in the U.S.
Topics include an examination of the numbers of caregivers, age, relationships between caregiver and care recipient, gender, race, duration of care, impact on employment, economic value, stress on the family, access to support, and more.
Caregiving with Your Siblings
A description of the often complicated changes in family roles as the dynamics shift during care for ill or elderly parents.
The fact sheet identifies strategies to reduce stress and conflict, responses to expectations, sharing the responsibilities and more. This fact sheet is also available in Spanish and Chinese.
Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI)
Symptoms, diagnosis and treatment of this perplexing brain disorder.
The Fact Sheet discusses how MCI differs from Alzheimer's disease (AD) and other dementias, when it is a precursor to AD, how to cope with memory loss and other challenges, key sources of support, recommended readings and more.
Legal Issues for LGBT Caregivers
This updated fact sheet includes specific information for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people as they deal with aging, caregiving and incapacity.
Topics include: creating an estate plan, Durable Powers of Attorney, Advance Health Care Directives, qualifications for Medicare or Medi-Cal, and the use of other legal tools such as a Living Will.
Special Concerns of LGBT Caregivers
This new fact sheet further discusses the unique considerations of caregivers in the LGBT community.
Topics include: care for domestic partners, friends or spouses; redefinitions of family; information on finding supportive health and service providers; discrimination; and maintaining well-being.
According to FCA Executive Director Kathleen Kelly, "The fact sheets are used by families, service providers, researchers, policy experts, reporters and legislative staffs, and in healthcare and academic settings as well. They were developed in response to needs we have seen in the community for clear, unbiased information about caregiving--a complex subject that touches nearly everyone and impacts public policy at all levels."
Family Caregiver Alliance and the National Center on Caregiving offer local and national programs to support and sustain the important work of families and friends caring for loved ones with chronic, disabling health conditions. A wealth of caregiving advice, resource listings, newsletters, fact sheets, research reports, policy updates, discussion groups, and the Family Care Navigator are available free on our website. Visit caregiver.org or call (800) 445-8106 for more information.
(i)Source/Reference: Family Caregiver Alliance. Disabled World makes no warranties or representations in connection therewith. Content may have been edited for style, clarity or length.
- 1 - Report Reveals Distress, Anger, Depression and Burnout Among Family Carers : Health Quality Ontario (2016/04/08)
- 2 - Certified Nursing Assistant Code of Ethics : Thomas C. Weiss (2009/07/21)
- 3 - Family Caregivers and Employer Compassion : Caregivers with Hope (2016/02/23)
- 4 - Critical Caregiving Issues Fact Sheets : Family Caregiver Alliance (2011/09/26)
- 5 - Film Highlights Absurdity of 15 Minute U.K. Care Visits : UNISON (2017/04/12)
- 6 - Yelp Reviews of Nursing Homes Tend to Focus on Staff Attitudes and Responsiveness : University of Southern California (2018/04/26)
- 7 - Palliative Care Findings on Caregiver Depression, LGBT Partners, Moral Distress : Loyola University Health System (2018/02/20)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.