Free Respite Holidays from Channel 4's Secret Millions Charity
Author: Papworth Trust
Synopsis and Key Points:
Charity Papworth Trust is offering free respite holidays to disabled people and their families thanks to £2 million of Lottery cash.
Main DigestFree respite holidays for disabled people and their families, from Channel 4's Secret Millions charity - Charity Papworth Trust is offering free respite holidays to disabled people and their families thanks to £2 million of Lottery cash.
Respite Care - The provision of short-term, temporary relief to those who are caring for family members who might otherwise require permanent placement in a facility outside the home.
Typical respite is where the disabled person goes away while their family stays at home. The Trust's respite holidays are unique because they offer a chance for the whole family to together have a supported break, without the pressures of everyday life.
Papworth Trust ran a pilot for this new service, shown on Channel 4's The Secret Millions.
19-year-old Luke from Peterborough took part in the filming with his parents Chris and Jane. Luke has Down's Syndrome and was quite shy at first. Since the respite holiday he has become much more independent, taking part in local amateur dramatics and setting his sights on a role in EastEnders one day.
Dad Chris saw some real changes from the respite holiday. He said: "I thought Luke was going to struggle but he just took to everything. He amazed me. I think it proved to us that Luke can do things that we didn't think he could, and perhaps sometimes we were holding him back slightly. We can now let him go that little bit more."
Mum Jane said: "It was such a benefit having more quality time together - normally Luke just has respite on his own. It's really brought the family close together. Anybody that gets the opportunity will have a fantastic time."
Adrian Bagg, Papworth Trust's Chief Executive, said: "At Papworth Trust we understand the impact disability can have. It can be hard to have quality, stress free time together as a family.
"Disabled people and their families will now be able to apply for free respite holidays thanks to the Big Lottery Fund. The pilot shown in The Secret Millions was an amazing experience for the families involved. It is fantastic that Papworth Trust will now be able to offer that farm experience to disabled people of any age, wherever they come from in the UK.
"We're going to renovate a 16th century farmhouse in a beautiful part of Wales and start welcoming families from late summer this year. Please go to www.papworth.org.uk/kerryfarm to find out more."
Papworth Trust has been working with disabled people for almost 100 years, and we know that small changes can make lasting differences to people's lives. Our essential services support people to learn new skills, live as independently as possible in suitable homes and look for work.
We help people of all ages and with any kind of disability, impairment or long term illness. Many people come to our centers, cafes and youth clubs or we support them in their homes and communities.
You can call us for support or information on 0800 952 5000. To find out more about Kerry Farm please visit www.papworth.org.uk/kerryfarm or click like at www.facebook.com/papworthtrust.
About the £10 million from the Big Lottery Fund - As part of the Big Lottery Fund making the £10 million available, the public was given a say on which issues they wanted to see funded. Launching a call-out in 2011, Channel 4 and the Big Lottery Fund asked people how they would spend £10 million of Lottery money in the current climate - via channel4.com/thebigdecision and commissioning a UK-wide Ipsos-Mori Poll of 2000 people. The results helped the Big Lottery Fund identify five charities who had devised exciting and innovative projects.
- 1 - Respite Care Information for Children with Autism : ARCH National Resource Center (2009/04/21)
- 2 - Respite Care and Family Members : Wendy Taormina-Weiss (2012/02/17)
- 3 - Importance of Long-Term Care Planning : LifeSecure Insurance Company (2010/11/01)
- 4 - Free Respite Holidays from Channel 4's Secret Millions Charity : Papworth Trust (2013/03/25)
- 5 - Tendercare Services - Service With Care And Compassion : TenderCare Services (2010/07/12)
- 6 - Caring for Yourself While Caring for A Seriously Ill Loved One : Highmark Inc. (2010/11/05)
- 7 - Respite Care for Children with Disabilities and Terminal Illnesses : ARCH National Resource Center (2009/04/21)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.