Disability Charities, Charitable Causes and Donations
Disabled World (disabled-world.com)
Revised/Updated: Wednesday, 1st April 2020
Synopsis and Key Points:
Information and news including a list of worthwhile charities foundations and causes to donate money time and gifts.
Charities and Trusts provide funding towards cost of disability equipment, holidays, housing, days out, or anything beyond costs of everyday living.
Charitable gifts of goods or services are also called gifts in kind. Your charity dollars are an investment in your local community, nation, and the world.
A donation is defined as a gift given by persons, typically for charitable purposes and/or to benefit a cause. A donation may take various forms, including cash, services, new or used goods including clothing, toys, food, vehicles, it also may consist of emergency, relief or humanitarian aid items, and development aid support. A donation may also consist of emergency, relief or humanitarian aid items, development aid support, and can also relate to medical care needs as i.e. blood or organs for transplant. Charitable gifts of goods or services are also called gifts in kind. Your charity dollars are an investment in your local community, nation, and the world.
- Charitable giving as a religious act or duty is referred to as almsgiving or alms.
- Charity is defined as the means of giving help to those in need who are not related to the giver.
- Charitable giving is the act of giving money, goods or time to the unfortunate, either directly or by means of a charitable trust or other worthy cause.
Charities and Trusts provide funding towards the high cost of disability equipment, holidays, housing, days out, in fact anything above and beyond the normal costs of everyday living. There are also many charities that do wonderful work with people with disabilities and will come to your home and pick-up your clothing donations, shoes donations, household items donations, and furniture donations.
In the United States Charity Navigator works to advance a more efficient and responsive philanthropic marketplace by evaluating the financial health of over 5,500 of America's largest charities. Last year alone, more than four million donors used the Charity Navigator website at www.charitynavigator.org
Illustration of two multi-colored hands outstretched. The pink outline of three heart symbols are at the top center.
Disabled Veteran Donations
The Disabled American Veterans needs your clothing donations, household items donations, furniture donations and even kitchenware donations.
How can I donate to Disabled American Veterans?
Typically most DAV donation pickup programs accept clothing, furniture, shoes, books, toys and just about anything that will is a reasonable donation. Contact DAV to schedule a donation pick up.
Donate to Veteran Service Dogs
It's impossible to fully thank an injured Veteran or someone who has been disabled in service to their nation. But a service dog can go a long way in showing our appreciation. Each dog costs around $40,000 to train from puppy to placement. Please give whatever you can. All donations support the raising, training, housing, and feeding of these service dogs for veterans.
Paws and Stripes : A nonprofit organization providing service dogs for wounded military veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder and traumatic brain injury through integrating service dog training and education with mental health support. They help veterans so they can live the full and rich lives they deserve. Their dogs come only from local rescues. Our service dog trainers teach the dogs and the veterans as a team. These dogs are not pets, they are service dogs with the complete protection and rights granted by the American with Disabilities Act. The program is funded through generous grants and donations.
Hero Dogs, Inc. : A Maryland 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation that raises and trains service dogs and places them free of charge with Veterans to improve quality of life and restore independence.
Tax Free Donations
In many countries tax rules and laws stipulate donations to charity are tax deductible expenses. These donations can help reduce your taxable income and lower your end of year tax bill. Check with your local tax office for full information on tax deductible donations to charities and Foundations.
You must keep written records and receipts of all your cash donations as supporting documentation. Your records must indicate the name of the charitable organization, the date of your contribution, and the amount donated.
Charities and Donations: Facts and Statistics
An array of organizations claiming to help American veterans, all with very similar and inspiring names - Disabled American Veterans; Disabled Veterans National Foundation; Disabled Veterans Services; Paralyzed Veterans of America; Veterans Support Foundation; and Wounded Warrior Project - dominate the list of New Jersey's "Top 10 Most Inquired-About Charities" for the first half of 2012.
- In the United States, in 2007, the Bureau of Labor Statistics found that American households in the lowest fifth in terms of wealth, gave on average a higher percentage of their incomes to charitable organizations than those households in the highest fifth.
- According to Giving USA, Americans gave $298.42 billion in 2011 (about 2% of GDP). The majority of donations were from individuals (73%), then from bequests (about 12%), foundations (1.8%) and less than 1% from corporations. The largest sector to receive donations was religious organizations (32%), then education (13%). Giving has increased in 3 out of 4 years since 1971.
- Blackbaud reports that, in the US, online giving in 2012 grew 10.7% on a year-over-year basis. The percentage of total fundraising that comes from online giving was about 7% in 2012. This was an increase from 6.3% in 2011 and is nearing the record level of 7.6% from 2010 when online giving spiked in response to Haitian earthquake relief efforts.
The U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, says it's wise to be cautious when making your donation decisions so you can avoid scam artists who try to make money by taking advantage of your generosity. Their website offers a number of precautions to help ensure that your donation dollars benefit the people and organizations you want to help.
Veteran Organizations Dominate Most Inquired About Charities - New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs.
Subtopics and Associated Subjects
- 1 - St. Louis HELP Medical Equipment Donation Drive Generates Record-Breaking Results : St. Louis HELP (2018/05/16)
- 2 - 9 Year Old Girl Inspired by Brothers Illness Hosts Lemonade Stand : Tampa General Hospital (2017/08/03)
- 3 - From the Street to the Streets : Fighting for Rights of Disabled : Advocates for Individuals with Disabilities (2016/10/30)
- 4 - Auction of Robin Williams' Bicycle Collection to Benefit CAF and Reeve Foundation : Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation (2016/10/20)
- 5 - 2016 Sturgis Buffalo Chip Legends Ride : Sturgis Buffalo Chip (2016/07/07)
- 6 - Petco Foundation Awards Funding to Provide Service Dogs to Disabled Veterans : Petco Foundation (2015/11/10)
- 7 - Donors Contributed 1,147 Home Health Items to St. Louis HELP Equipment Drive : St. Louis HELP (2015/10/26)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.