St. Louis HELP Medical Equipment Donation Drive Generates Record-Breaking Results
Author: St. Louis HELP(i) : Contact: www.stlhelp.org
Published: 2018-05-16 : (Rev. 2018-09-19)
Synopsis and Key Points:
St. Louis HELP collected 1,419 home health equipment items from 352 donors during its equipment donation drive.
The not-for-profit St. Louis Health Equipment Lending Program (St. Louis HELP) that loans home medical equipment for free to any person who needs it, generated record-breaking results during its Medical Equipment Donation Drive conducted on Saturday, May 5.
St. Louis HELP collected 1,419 home health equipment items from 352 donors during its equipment donation drive. The successful nonprofit event involved 98 St. Louis HELP volunteers, seven staff members, seven board members and two pet dogs at collection sites including 14 Walgreens store parking lots in metro St. Louis and southwestern Illinois.
"We collected 16.22 tons of used home medical equipment that we will clean and revitalize for free loans to any person or caregiver for as long as they need to use it," said Executive Director Laura Singer, who founded the nonprofit organization in 2008. (http://www.stlhelp.org).
A few of many St. Louis HELP volunteers on May 5 2018.
"This record-breaking number of home health equipment items that were donated have a cumulative collected value of $362, 127," she said. "We will turn that used equipment into an asset for people by revitalizing it and loaning it to them unconditionally."
"From this drive we are diverting more than 16 tons from the solid waste stream by cleaning, reconditioning, recycling and loaning all of this donated equipment, as well as more than 130 tons throughout the year," she said.
"We express our deepest gratitude for all donors and our amazing volunteers for making this event a success. We are now are busy cleaning and reconditioning the equipment at our warehouse in St. Louis County."
"We are extremely grateful for support from Saint Louis County that enabled our May 5 equipment drive, which was funded by a grant from the Saint Louis County Department of Public Health utilizing County landfill surcharge funds," Singer said.
"And we are extremely thankful for participation by Walgreen's, which permitted our volunteers to collect equipment donations at 14 designated Walgreen's parking lots in four counties in metro St. Louis and southwest Illinois."
Donated items included manual and power wheelchairs, electric hospital beds, shower chairs, canes, crutches, walkers, grab bars, elevated toilet seats, portable commodes, lift chairs, seating cushions, back supports, folding ramps and other devices, Singer said.
A news feature that aired on KPLR Channel 11 showcasing St. Louis HELP can be viewed here.
St. Louis HELP is a non-profit 501©(3) organization that loans equipment to any person including those temporarily disabled by injury, illness or surgery; those awaiting insurance company approval; those whose own equipment is being repaired; visitors to St. Louis who can't transport their own equipment; and terminally ill persons.
The organization operates a 7,000 square foot warehouse in St. Louis County where it cleans, revitalizes and loans home medical equipment and responds to increasing requests from people and families throughout metro St. Louis for free use of St. Louis HELP's revitalized health equipment.
Call 314 567 4700 to inquire about free loans of available home health equipment. For more information, see the website https://www.stlhelp.org
(i)Source/Reference: St. Louis HELP. Disabled World makes no warranties or representations in connection therewith. Content may have been edited for style, clarity or length.
- 1 - From the Street to the Streets : Fighting for Rights of Disabled : Advocates for Individuals with Disabilities (2016/10/30)
- 2 - Veteran Organizations Dominate Most Inquired About Charities : New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs (2012/08/02)
- 3 - 9 Year Old Girl Inspired by Brothers Illness Hosts Lemonade Stand : Tampa General Hospital (2017/08/03)
- 4 - Year of Making a Difference Program to Benefit Charities : Gallop Law Firm (2012/01/04)
- 5 - Donors Contributed 1,147 Home Health Items to St. Louis HELP Equipment Drive : St. Louis HELP (2015/10/26)
- 6 - St. Louis HELP Medical Equipment Donation Drive Generates Record-Breaking Results : St. Louis HELP (2018/05/16)
- 7 - Auction of Robin Williams' Bicycle Collection to Benefit CAF and Reeve Foundation : Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation (2016/10/20)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.