Skip to main content

2009 FBI Hate Crime Statistics

  • Synopsis: Published: 2010-11-26 (Revised/Updated 2017-11-15) - Hate Crime Statistics published by the FBI includes data from hate crime reports submitted by law enforcement agencies throughout the nation. For further information pertaining to this article contact: FBI at fbi.gov.

Main Document

Quote: "The largest percentage ( 31.3 percent ) of hate crime incidents occurred in or near homes."

The FBI released 2009 statistics which indicated that 6,604 criminal incidents involving 7,789 offenses were reported as a result of bias toward a particular race, religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity/national origin, or physical or mental disability.

Hate Crime Statistics, 2009, includes the following information:

  • Of the 6,598 single-bias incidents, 48.5 percent were motivated by a racial bias, 19.7 percent were motivated by a religious bias, 18.5 percent were motivated by a sexual-orientation bias, and 11.8 percent were motivated by an ethnicity/national origin bias. Bias against a disability accounted for 1.5 percent of single-bias incidents.
  • There were 4,793 hate crime offenses classified as crimes against persons in 2009. Intimidation accounted for 45.0 percent of crimes against persons, simple assaults for 35.3 percent, and aggravated assaults for 19.1 percent. Other offenses, including nine forcible rapes and eight murders, accounted for the remainder.
  • There were 2,970 hate crime offenses classified as crimes against property; most of these ( 83.0 percent ) were acts of destruction/damage/vandalism. The remaining 17.0 percent of crimes against property consisted of robbery, burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, arson, and other offenses.
  • An analysis of data for single-bias hate crime incident victims revealed that 48.8 percent were targeted because of the offender's bias against a race, 18.9 percent because of a bias against a religious belief, 17.8 percent because of a sexual orientation bias, 13.3 percent because of an ethnicity/national origin bias, and 1.2 percent because of a disability bias.
  • Of the 6,225 known offenders, 62.4 percent were white, 18.5 percent were black, 7.3 percent were groups made up of individuals of various races ( multiple races, group ), 1.0 percent were American Indian/Alaskan Native, and 0.7 percent were Asian/Pacific Islander. The race was unknown for the remaining known offenders.
  • The largest percentage ( 31.3 percent ) of hate crime incidents occurred in or near homes. In addition, 17.2 percent took place on highways, roads, alleys, or streets; 11.4 percent happened at schools or colleges; 6.1 percent in parking lots or garages; and 4.3 percent in churches, synagogues, or temples. The remaining 29.7 percent of hate crime incidents took place at other specified locations, multiple locations, or other/unknown locations.


Related Information:

  1. Disability Hate Crime Definition and Information
  2. Advocate Speaks About Hate Crimes Expansion
  3. No Discrimination Where Disability is Only Perceived


Information from our Disability Discrimination: Information and Legal Cases section - (Full List).

Comments: We apologize but until we find a new secure & accessible comments plugin this area is not available.


     What will I receive?

Loan Information for low income singles, families, seniors and disabled. Includes home, vehicle and personal loans.


Famous People with Disabilities - Well known people with disabilities and conditions who contributed to society.


List of awareness ribbon colors and their meaning. Also see our calendar of awareness dates.


Blood Pressure Chart - What should your blood pressure be. Also see information on blood group types and compatibility.


  1. Nonprofit Disability Solutions Connects Jobseekers with Top Companies
  2. CSD Learns Awarded $75,000 Grant from Wells Fargo
  3. 2016 FBI Hate Crime Statistics
  4. People Who Experience Dry Eye Soon to Have Drug-Free Solution




Citation